Retrieving Trouble Codes from OBD I Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XFSE71 View Post
    Even worse, if the MIL comes on while driving, shutting the engine off will clear the engine running code. So light on during a drive pull codes before shut down.
    I think for future reference,we need to clarify that this statement isn't correct OK? And thank you for posting the code chart! To bad it took 5 years for someone to do it.drool
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
      I think for future reference,we need to clarify that this statement isn't correct OK? And thank you for posting the code chart! To bad it took 5 years for someone to do it.drool
      You are correct I was wro...working with a blown (KAM)Keep Alive Memory Fuse caused by a faulty dome light which is on the same circuit. If your dome light doesn't work and you have no radio, you too may erase running codes with key off ... however as stated here and elsewhere they should still be there in a "normal" Festiva .... whatever that is.
      '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
      '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
      '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Code Retrieval - STI Terminal on the Right.jpg

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
        Not sure if this should be a sticky or not but after reviewing the Haynes manual, and others, there is nothing very clear about how to retrieve the trouble codes from the On Board Diagnostic I (OBD I) system on 1985 to 1995 Fords.

...... In the engine bay, drivers side, next to the fire wall you will find a 1 pin female connector. This is the STI terminal. ......

"STI"???....."Standard Terminal Interface"?

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
        .......The STI is the single connector on the right. .....

Unless I don't know how to count I see two 'holes' to put the jump wire into on the terminal on the right. Does it matter which of the 2 you put the jump wire into? (another member asked this exact question on this thread and I never found a clear answer)

Last....what size / gauge of a jump wire do you use? Any wire at all that will fit?

Tryin' to get smarter.
        Last edited by Twistiva; 06-20-2014, 11:54 PM.
        88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
        88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
        91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
        93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Self test input.
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
            Self test input.
            Chobo - OK, thanks. That answers that question.

Can anyone answer my other two?

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
              Chobo - OK, thanks. That answers that question.

Can anyone answer my other two?
              I used some speaker wire I had laying around and an alligator clip another time I used a paper clip. I remember it being a single wire. ill go outside and look.
              Edit

Yellow wire with green stripe. Im like 90 percent sure its that one. I don't have a battery in my car right now.
              Last edited by Chobobulous; 06-21-2014, 12:05 AM.
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

From 'sc72' on this thread:

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                There are several on the right side and The STI to pull codes from is a single female spade in black plastic.
                Chobo - So you say it's the white pigtail in the picture. 'sc72' says a black plastic female spade. Did the STI receptacle change from year to year?

I appreciate your help. Never messed around with trying to retrieve codes, OBD diagnostics, etc before.

Comment

Mine is a 91 and it has a white connector, in post 22 is a 93 and its a white connector. Id say look for the yellow wire with a green stripe.
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Mine is a 91 and it has a white connector, in post 22 is a 93 and its a white connector. Id say look for the yellow wire with a green stripe.
                    OK, cool. That's nice to know because I own two '88s, a '91 and a '93. The one that's giving me 'Check Engine Light' problems is the '93. Will try to retrieve the code(s) tomorrow before I swap out an Engine Coolant Temperature sensor.

Comment

Post one says you should get 9 quick flashes for a coolant sensor. I remember when I took my fan sensor out it was so corroded with calcium or something it was unreal. I cleaned it up and the fan worked perfectly again. Let us know what happens!
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Post one says you should get 9 quick flashes for a coolant sensor. I remember when I took my fan sensor out it was so corroded with calcium or something it was unreal. I cleaned it up and the fan worked perfectly again. Let us know what happens!
                        Will do! If cleaning (or replacing) the ECT sensor solves my problem, I will be sooooo happy! Gonna work on it tomorrow and then I'll have to drive it for awhile to see if it fixes it. This thread has been very helpful. Would recommend it be stickied.

Comment

YES this is the very first place to start. Great advice-

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by XFSE71 View Post
                            code chart
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]11822[/ATTACH]
                            This doesn't work anymore
                            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

After reading all five pages of responses, I'm glad not to have an ECU and an STI cpnnector.
                              I should have taken a picture of all the wire I removed from my harness. I have an extra distributor, a set of relays, extra car radio, emergency radio, etc. in a sealed steel five gallon pail, ready for the next EMP or Carrington event (whichever comes first). I should be back up, running and looking for gas to siphon in a few minutes. Good luck everyone.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 07-06-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

the Attachment 11822 link is dead, is there another way to see the 'code chart', or can this link be fixed..? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X