No announcement yet.

AC total install advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 amp should be enough doi_doi. On many cars the AC fuse (that all that stuff runs through) is rated at 20 Amps (not 100% on the festiva, haven't looked at it lately). Hows the install coming Paul?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

It's good. I am working on the controls now. I got an extra cable with my complete swap. It is like the 3 that are on the controls. I looked in my 93 with air. On the drivers side of the box that holds the fan there is another cable. It starts near the other cable and goes around the back of the box. I can't find where it goes after that. Will post a pic soon.
      Last edited by neanderpaul; 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I believe it goes from a select lever (not on the control side, on the airbox side) to a switch that cuts the compressor on when in defrost mode. The switch (at least on the one I did) doesn't have a regular plug but instead two flat blade terminals. I'll try to get a pic of my '88LX in a couple of hours.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

What if you don't want it to come on when you have the defrost on? Can you deselect it from the HVAC Panel? Does the switch even light up?
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Don't know I didn't really look that far into it when I was doing the install, I didn't trace the wiring or anything so that may not even be what it does. But that looked to be what it was for. Most newer cars do this. I think it helps defrost by drying out the air somehow? I'm a mechanic not a chemist/physicist but I have been told that is the reason by someone who is a physicist
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Wow, mine has A/C but the belt was off when I bought it and the seller didn't know when the last time it worked. I was just going to suffer and sweat it out this summer since I have owned several vehicles without working A/C. However, after seeing all you're going through I may have to throw a belt on mine and see what happens. It looks like your mechanical skills are just fine. Many people have a hard time putting in washer fluid.
              Rick
              1993 Ford Festiva
              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
              2000 Ford E350

Comment

^^^ go for it, though if it hasn't been run for a while it will most likely need a charge. Just make sure the compressor isn't locked up before you buy a belt. If you can rotate the pulley part while holding the end of the compressor still then the clutch isn't locked up. Then try rotating the end. If its not locked up, buy the cheapest belt you can get and have it charged. I'd probably have a shop make sure it holds a vacuum first though before charging, just to make sure there's no leaks Good luck!
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Here's the pics of the extra cable, as promised.

On the passenger side, front left of Evap box.

On the driver side, left side of heater box attached to temp door lever.

Apparently I remembered wrong, and it has nothing to do with the defrost lol.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Done. Going tomorrow for a leak test. I'll take my R-12 with me. Let them charge it if it doesn't leak. Thanks to all who advised. Especially htchbck. Joseph texted me about 50 times since I started.
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

good job paul. i would say if you can take the dash out and get it all back in working order your wrench skills are just fine. after all, its all just nuts and bolts right?

Comment

Awesome job Paul, can't wait to see it (and you and your family) this weekend!
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by villageidiot View Post
                          good job paul. i would say if you can take the dash out and get it all back in working order your wrench skills are just fine. after all, its all just nuts and bolts right?
                          Thanks man I'm really really satisfied with this one. It was the hardest job I've ever done. It took me about 20 hours I think. I had a snafu today! I was driving along after it was blowing cold and the tensioner pulley decided to cross a couple of lanes and the median! I made a u-turn and picked it up. I borrowed spacers from my white 93 auto with air and put it all back together. It's blasting the cold stuff again!

Comment

Congrats. I put on a belt, threw in some 134a and now have cold A/C. Thanks for the inspiration.
                            Rick
                            1993 Ford Festiva
                            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                            2000 Ford E350

Comment

awesome to see you were successful!! nice work
                              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
                              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
                              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Working...
                              X