Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking oil out of seals, rings, and gaskets is one thing

leaking oil into the coolant system is another

to fix that (which needs to be done sooner than later) you'll have to do the HG
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
      leaking oil out of seals, rings, and gaskets is one thing

leaking oil into the coolant system is another

to fix that (which needs to be done sooner than later) you'll have to do the HG
      I understand. But what I meant was. Would it be easier to go head and do more while in there working

sent from my EVO hacked with Vaelpak GB AOSP with Tiamat 3.3.7 Kernel
      First time owner
      89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
      Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

are you planning to replace anything else? water pump? timing tensioner? timing belt? cam seal and crank seal? just a thought...will take more time but may save you down the road.
        yeah I had asked that on page 2/3 but I didn't want to pressure. I think it's a great idea to change some of that stuff.

Nate did a rebuild for a guy and all the parts he bought cost about 200 bucks. I don't know everything he bought. you could PM skeeters keeper for some info.
        Walth

Comment

Yep, you can do your cam shaft seals and distributor O-ring. You can also do your front crankshaft main seal before you set the timing, but you'd have to take off the transmission to reach the rear crankshaft main seal.

The only other places the oil could leak from are the oil filter, oil pan gasket or the valve cover gasket.

Oil filter is simple.
          Valve cover gasket is easy peasy.
          Oil pan gasket is a pain.
          Last edited by crazyrog17; 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM.
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

yeah I replaced the oil pan gasket without removing the downtube and it was more than a headache. if you can remove the DT it'll be a lot better
            Walth

Comment

the HG should be the only cause of your current leak.
              It could also be a warped or cracked head, right? Cracked head is probably worst case.
              I suck at the internet

Comment

yeah, guess you're right. I don't know much yet about cracked things though. doing some "symtoms" checks on google may help you narrow that out!! not too sure.

Since it has been losing oil from before ownership, has the car also been having oil in the coolant system since then too? It's hard to say for sure if it was ran hot, etc.
                Walth

Comment

yeah, guess you're right. I don't know much yet about cracked things though. doing some "symtoms" checks on google may help you narrow that out!! not too sure.

Since it has been losing oil from before ownership, has the car also been having oil in the coolant system since then too? It's hard to say for sure if it was ran hot, etc.
                  No. I did a flush couple of months after I got it and didn't have oil in it.

First time owner

Comment

unless you overheated pretty severely...nothing should be bad but the headgasket.

any loss of power? just curious...

has anyone said in this thread, start the car and take off the radiator cap and see if you get bubbles?
                    Walth

Comment

Agree with Walth and everything else. Valve cover gasket is a major source of oil leakage. If you paid $250 for your, it leaks. I paid over 10x that for my new one (worth it to me for the body shell alone) and I'm still planning to change the VC gasket soon and I'm not complaining about that. There ought to be a head set available that has head gasket, VC [gasket + bolt seals], & exhaust seal. If you're fuel-injected, make sure the set has a throttle body gasket, too. Also, I've never unbolted a down pipe from the manifold without resort to a torch to heat the nuts first. If you've never done this before, you may have a problem, so then go the route of unbolting the manifold. Last time I did that I just used the old gasket and had no problems on that account.

Comment

I haven't drove the car in a couple of days. I just emptied the radiator out and ran water trough it until it was clear. Put plug back in and refilled. I see how she does tomorrow

First time owner

Comment

Ok. There is still oil getting into the coolant

First time owner

Comment

Those down pipe nuts come off easy if you get at them with PB Blaster and soak them for a day. That plus a lot of extensions on an impact wrench make it a simple task.
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                            X