No announcement yet.

Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddy of mine let me borrow his fuel injector pressure tester it's a snap on fuel injection pressure gauge set mt337a. Is there a port where to check pressure on the engine ? don't really know how to hook this up ...?

Comment

Anyone???

Comment

Most of the pressure testers are set up for newer cars that have a port on the fuel rail somewhere where you can remove a cap and connect the tester. It also has a valve in there to keep gas from flying out when you remove the cap on the fuel rail. No such luck on the Festivas. You are going to have to get or make a tee with a cap and valve setup and place it in the fuel hose between the fuel filter and the fuel rail. Not much space there but it
        can be done. If you do it this way you can run the engine and see the fuel pressure at start, idle and bleed down after shutoff.
        Welcome to the world of Festiva riggin and best of luck but this is how you learn.
        Last edited by Old Geezer; 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

There is a metric box and a standard box of adapters to go with that gauge set, they are very extensive. There are two adapters that tee into the line and provide the fitting the gauge screws into. One monitors the pressure in the line. The other does the same but also has a valve to dead head the pump. The dump valve on the gauge also is to test volume from the pump safely. Each box has nearly a hundred different adapters. The fuel filter is a easy tee spot.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
            Buddy of mine let me borrow his fuel injector pressure tester it's a snap on fuel injection pressure gauge set mt337a. Is there a port where to check pressure on the engine ? don't really know how to hook this up ...?
            I just hooked a Teed pressure guage into the "High pressure" line coming from the fuel filter using a couple of hose clamps and a length of 5/16" fuel hose. photo earlier in this thread
            Last edited by XFSE71; 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM.
            '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
            '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
            '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Ok so finally got to test fuel pressure ,i put the gauge before fuel filter and with the vac still on i got 30psi and with the vac off from the regulator i got 40psi.. normal?
              If there is a clog some where in the fuel filter if i remove the filter and test will i get debris going thru into the injectors?

Comment

any help please,,i am stumped dont know what to do ?

Comment

Ok so finally got to test fuel pressure ,i put the gauge before fuel filter and with the vac still on i got 30psi and with the vac off from the regulator i got 40psi.. normal?
                  If there is a clog some where in the fuel filter if i remove the filter and test will i get debris going thru into the injectors?
                  The pressure regulator is set for 36.3psi
                  Yes, if you run the pump without the filter you cold easily clog the injectors up.

Comment

So this all took place with a quarter tank of gas, I figured I would go get gas I filled the tank and the problem went away I also added some ISO heet to remove any water that might be in the tank . This ever happen to anybody before my car is running perfect again

Comment

Here in AZ we don't put "heat" in the fuel tank there is enough on the ground. Your fuel pressure numbers look good. one more test result is needed to say it's all ok. monitor FP engine running, everything hooked up (no leaks) shut down the engine. continue monitoring fuel pressure another 2 min you want to see no FP drop key off. <1 psi in 2 min is passing. if FP goes away ... maybe leaking injector or pump. If FP holds ... then that's not the problem.
                      '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                      '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                      '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

So this all took place with a quarter tank of gas, I figured I would go get gas I filled the tank and the problem went away I also added some ISO heet to remove any water that might be in the tank . This ever happen to anybody before my car is running perfect again
                        Sounds like you found your problem :thumbs_up:
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by XFSE71 View Post
                          Here in AZ we don't put "heat" in the fuel tank there is enough on the ground. Your fuel pressure numbers look good. one more test result is needed to say it's all ok. monitor FP engine running, everything hooked up (no leaks) shut down the engine. continue monitoring fuel pressure another 2 min you want to see no FP drop key off. <1 psi in 2 min is passing. if FP goes away ... maybe leaking injector or pump. If FP holds ... then that's not the problem.
                          I did Do that also and it did not drop much at all , I think eventually I'm going to drop the tank and clean inside if it or possibly replace.

Comment

I did Do that also and it did not drop much at all , I think eventually I'm going to drop the tank and clean inside if it or possibly replace.
                            I think your going to be dropping the tank much sooner than later.
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

So my car ran fine all week and still three quarters of a tank of gas, and today it started sputtering on my way home from work. It sputter the whole way home but still accelerated when gave it gas but sputtered. When I would hi the gas pedal hard it wold stall, so I was 2 miles away from home and while driving the car stalls out and would not start up again. It is cranking over but will not start. So I finally had to call a tow truck and towed it home. Any suggestions on what this could be. This is getting frustrating now.
                              Also - just replaced the fuel pump strainer and cleaned out the gas tank .
                              ---New----
                              Distributer
                              Fuel pump regulator
                              Plug
                              Wires
                              Cap
                              Rotor
                              02 sensor
                              Pcv sensor
                              Air filter
                              Last edited by Dom; 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

..... "just replaced the pump strainer"....

pull your pump and verify that the short hose between the pump and feed tube isnt leaking.... i say this because it studders at 1/2 tank and that's about where that hose becomes no longer submerged in fuel.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X