Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    ..... "just replaced the pump strainer"....

pull your pump and verify that the short hose between the pump and feed tube isnt leaking.... i say this because it studders at 1/2 tank and that's about where that hose becomes no longer submerged in fuel.
    Even with a full tank it was studdering until I slowed down and it just stalled out and will not start at all I get crank but that's it. I pulled the line of the fuel filter going to the rail and tried starting and a lot of gas shot out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
      Even with a full tank it was studdering until I slowed down and it just stalled out and will not start at all I get crank but that's it. I pulled the line of the fuel filter going to the rail and tried starting and a lot of gas shot out.
      Tonight i just checked it for spark and i got no spark, its getting fuel but no spark again. I hope this is not the ICM again how can that be or what else can it be crank position sensor?ignition coil ?
      Festyboy - i checked that hose and it is fine..
      Last edited by Dom; 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM.

Comment

ok... you didn't mention the studder at full tank earlier in the thread (posts 39 and 44), so that's why i went to the tank pump hose...

ok, swap out the ICM (the one near the coil) (since you have a new dizzy), lets avoid that for the moment....
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

ok... you didn't mention the studder at full tank earlier in the thread (posts 39 and 44), so that's why i went to the tank pump hose...

ok, swap out the ICM (the one near the coil) (since you have a new dizzy), lets avoid that for the moment....
          I have to buy a new ICM?
          Last edited by Dom; 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

didn't you hit up a JY for one a while ago?

or is it that the 89 doesn't have the little 3 wire ICM near the coil? (internal to the dizzy...) i'll have to look at my FSM to verify...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

didn't you hit up a JY for one a while ago?

or is it that the 89 doesn't have the little 3 wire ICM near the coil? (internal to the dizzy...) i'll have to look at my FSM to verify...
              No 89 efi doesnt have it there, i bought a complete distributer with ICM and pick up coil complete.

Comment

ok, so it's like the carby dizzys.... well that makes it easier to diag what part has failed...

Comment

ok, so it's like the carby dizzys.... well that makes it easier to diag what part has failed...
                  you think its the ICM again? i just put a new one in 4 weeks ago., no spark just put a new ignition coil in today and still nothing.

Comment

diagnos first, THEN replace.... test light and DVOM are your best friends.

Comment

diagnos first, THEN replace.... test light and DVOM are your best friends.
                      Well it was the ICM just installed it and started right up, but it still is sputter really bad its doing the same thing before the ICM died on me. Also while the engine was running my hand tapped the spark plug cable and i got a zap from it,(what up with that ) short somewhere . really need some help guys this is my commuter car ...

Thanks

Comment

Well it was the ICM just installed it and started right up, but it still is sputter really bad its doing the same thing before the ICM died on me. Also while the engine was running my hand tapped the spark plug cable and i got a zap from it,(what up with that ) short somewhere . really need some help guys this is my commuter car ...

Thanks
                        Looking at your list I see you replaced your wires. Some of the manufactures wires dont fit as well as others (I like Bosch the best).Make sure each wire is seated properly @ Dizzy Cap & spark plug. The one that zapped you is not seated correctly thats all.
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                          Looking at your list I see you replaced your wires. Some of the manufactures wires dont fit as well as others (I like Bosch the best).Make sure each wire is seated properly @ Dizzy Cap & spark plug. The one that zapped you is not seated correctly thats all.
                          so i guess that would have nothing to due with the sputter ? this is my second ICM already.
                          Last edited by Dom; 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

so i guess that would have nothing to due with the sputter ? this is my second ICM already.
                            Quite the contrary my friend,most likely it has a LOT to do with it.
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                              Quite the contrary my friend,most likely it has a LOT to do with it.
                              The spark plug wires are new, they arent the greatest brand but they are new , i have a accel igntion coil running in it what spark plug wires would you recommened.? I will buy another pair and try that out.
                              Last edited by Dom; 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

quick check: listen to the injectors and make sure they are all clicking.... may want to pull your plugs and inspect for one that looks out of place....

Comment

Working...
                                X