No announcement yet.

Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TEST your fuel pressure. That's how I discovered my regulator was bad.
    93 Ford Festiva L 5 speed: In process of fixing PO's negligence

Comment

grab your tester, "T" it into the fuel line right before the rail input. idle with the regulator in proper working order should get you 34-36 psi. pulling the vac line off the regulator while running should net you 50+ psi. if you find that the pressure starts to drop off while idling, remove the fuel filter from the equation and retest. also, when you shut off the engine, you should be able to maintain at least 20 psi for several minutes, if you don't, you may have regulator bleed-down or have a faulty check valve on the pressure side.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        grab your tester, "T" it into the fuel line right before the rail input. idle with the regulator in proper working order should get you 34-36 psi. pulling the vac line off the regulator while running should net you 50+ psi. if you find that the pressure starts to drop off while idling, remove the fuel filter from the equation and retest. also, when you shut off the engine, you should be able to maintain at least 20 psi for several minutes, if you don't, you may have regulator bleed-down or have a faulty check valve on the pressure side.
        Ok sounds good I am going to try to pick one up tonight and try this test .. Thanks

Comment

If you have an AutoZone nearby, the kit they have for $150 to rent lets you T in. I didn't even rent it, used it in their parking lot with a screwdriver and needle nose. Very simple procedure. I had 28psi with or without vac hooked up AND bled down to like 5-8 psi when shut off.
          93 Ford Festiva L 5 speed: In process of fixing PO's negligence

Comment

Which vac line do I disconnect , connect?

Comment

the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator. it sits at the end of the fuel rail on the driver side.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator. it sits at the end of the fuel rail on the driver side.
                Thanks

Comment

Sorry ,, I can't seem to locate the regulator.. ?

Comment

It should be there. It looks like this:

93457.jpg

with the long metal tube going to a rubber line and the small line going to a vacuum line. And the 2 bolt holes bolt the the fuel rail with that thing in the center going directly into the rail. Unless its different for the 89 auto. I thought they were fuel injected.
                    Last edited by ckiesman; 03-21-2013, 05:31 PM.
                    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
                      It should be there. It looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11972[/ATTACH]

with the long metal tube going to a rubber line and the small line going to a vacuum line. And the 2 bolt holes bolt the the fuel rail with that thing in the center going directly into the rail. Unless its different for the 89 auto. I thought they were fuel injected.
                      ok found it thanks ,, didn't think it was that small

Comment

lol. Glad I could help.
                        1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
                          lol. Glad I could help.
                          Its one thing after another .. i was just saying wow its starting to drive good,,that was short lived.lol

Comment

lol. It happens. Thats the way mine is. Wheel bearings this week, messed up VAF the next. Its all in the fun of it, lol.

Comment

I wanted to take it to autozone to check the fuel pressure but it was sputtering way to bad . Will have look more into tomorrow

Comment

I test fuel pressure with a simple guage setup.
                                a couple of clamps and a piece of fuel hose. EFI should be 40psi KOEO and not leak down faster than 1 PSI/min.
                                Last edited by XFSE71; 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM.
                                '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                                '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                                '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Working...
                                X