No announcement yet.

1989 Ford Festiva low idle and missing vacuum line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your U-Tube is looking at the secondary venturi, a vacuum operated high speed throttle plate that does not open until about 2500+ rpm.

What about timing procedure? From what you have shown I do not see a fuel concern. Snap throttle is dependent on timing.

Post 43
    Last edited by XFSE71; 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM.
    '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
    '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
    '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

That plate that you described before I squirt WD 40 on it was dry as a bone

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I'm pretty sure the timing is right on we took of the two vacuum lines and plunged them and disconnected the wire the distributor

Comment

XFSE71 is correct, thats the secondary and it WILL NOT open without a load sustained above 2500-3000RPM. you CAN manualy opperate it and then you'll see that the throttle plate gets wet, but otherwise, it will stay dry.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I keeper trying to get that side to open and it never did

Comment

Originally posted by timarellanes View Post
              I keeper trying to get that side to open and it never did

Mine was horribly stuck closed from dried fuel. I put a kit in to fix it. Test it by engine off holding throttle wide open then pull rod connected to the secondary diaphram. Rod should move plate should open easily.

Comment

ok look at the 2 pics above: in the top pic you'll see 2 green grommets at the bottom of the pic. the one on the right is attached to a spring, that' s your primary return spring.
                the other one is attaced to a rod, that's your seconday actuator. pulling on that rod will activate your secondary fuel circuit.
                the second pic is just for further illustration.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I'm going to work on the car right now I'll check that out thank you guys so much

Comment

The screw that I'm pointing to was fully back out when my father in law was trying to help me. So I put it where I thought it went back touploadfromtaptalk1371185783167.jpg

Comment

that's your dashpot adjustment screw. the whole point of that unit is to catch the throttle linkage before it snapps shut and choking the engine. it happens quickly, but it's enough to allow time for the idle circuit to come into play and keep the engine from stalling.

Comment

It ran mutxh better on the free way after I did that. I think everything needs to be set back to 0 and re done from scratch

Comment

Yo! The picture I'm looking at is the Idle Tracking Switch. My '88s don't use a dashpot because they use Throttle Kicker Solenoids (2). The throttle kicker ups the idle when you have an electrical load on the engine (brake Lights on) or AC.

Comment

your '88 should have a dashpot. (opposite side of the carb from the idle kicker (load compensator), right above the idle set screw). if not, you're missing pieces.

Comment

No Yo! No dashpot ever on a carb B3. No just did not go there.The Idle Tracking Switch called out in a post #54 is a switch signal to the ECA to activate Idle Strategy including Load Compensation for electrical and AC loads when you lift your foot from the accelerator. You can test continuity BL & BK wires in the white six pin connector next to the dizzy. If you look at the components on page 24-16-1 of the Ford manual you will understand that with a carb no dashpot. Fuelly has a dash pot and what one vacuum line?
                              I don't want to derail this thread. You can't tell me there is a dashpot there without proof. I say no dashpot on carb ... all years Festiva. You say it is a dashpot? Sorry to disagree with you. Check your facts.

Comment

In picture I see a dashpot circled. In post 52 I see the idle bump vacuum actuator , only one.
                                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                                X