1989 Ford Festiva low idle and missing vacuum line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Ford Festiva low idle and missing vacuum line

I have a 1989 Ford Festiva that I'm restoring. There is one vacuum mine from the back off the carburetor that I cannot find where it goes. Also there is a red wire that comes from the right side of the carburetor but cannot find where that wire goes well also one of the big hose is that comes out of the right side of the air cleaner that dose not have a place to go please help

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

best thing to do is to swap your feedback carb out for the webber carb it does away with all your vacuum lines except the brake booster and the two for the distributor.just search webber carb there is a member that makes the adapter plates also gives a little pep to the b3

Comment

Do you have your vacuum diagram under the hood still. There are some posted on here we could help you find if you are missing yours.

Welcome to the greatest car site ever!!
      Last edited by Movin; 05-31-2013, 10:46 PM.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Ok, the red wire is for your electric choke and it plugs into your alternator near the top. you can feel it from the top and see it from the underside. I need to know more about the vacuum line to identify it. Black lines are generally MAN VAC and others are color coded. I have both an '88 Cali Only and 49 State. Look to see if the extra vac line plugs into the air cleaner.
        '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
        '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
        '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

It is a black line with plus lines on it. Its on the back of the carb and heads towards the driver side of the car.

Comment

It dose not go into the air cleaner. I fails smog today as well and they are saying that the carb is to rich and that I need a new cat. I live in Cali.

Comment

I'm really looking at doing that carb swap. How hard is it. More power?

Comment

Is this the carb I should get? It says it come with plate right?

Comment

Originally posted by timarellanes View Post
                  I have a 1989 Ford Festiva that I'm restoring. ... the big hose is that comes out of the right side of the air cleaner that dose not have a place to go ...
                  If you are replacing the carb with a Weber then you are not restoring you are modifying from original. There is a difference. The big hose you speak of is unused on California cars. On 49 state emission cars there is a line that runs down to the mid bed cat, Cali don't need no mid bed cat pulse air like most everybody else. Look at your emissions sticker under the hood and see if it says " ... for sale in Cali only ..."
                  '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                  '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                  '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

If you live in CA they probably won't let you get away with a Weber upgrade.

Comment

Generally the black hoses have painted dashes on them in a colour which matches the colour of the emissions device into which they plug, for example the black hose with green dashes on it goes into the green solenoid on the firewall, the black hose with yellow dashes on it goes into the port on the charcoal cannister marked with yellow paint. Hope that helps. Cutting off emissions controls does not usually stop the car from performing so you could plug the hose but that might make it fail an emissions test due to "tampering" as would swapping the carburettor for a diffrent kind. Check that with the test centre before replacing the carburettor. Leaving a vacuum hose unplugged would no doubt suck too much air into the intake making the car run "lean", ie less gasoline and more air in the mix than optimal. That would affect performance.
                      Last edited by WmWatt; 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The red wire that I can not find where it hose comes from the electric choke. Can not find where it goes please heluploadfromtaptalk1370323848861.jpgp

Comment

I could not find where this wire goes somebody said it goes to the top of the alternator looked all over the alternator and cannot find a spot please help

Comment

ok, i just rebuilt a carb yesterday, so i'll describe EXACTLY where it goes and it's routing: directly below the ABC valve (it has 4 hoses attached to the top, at the left center of your pic), there is a hole in the manifold casting. drop the wire down that hole. now from the passenger side of the engine bay, reach under the intake and find the wire. draw it out. as you maintain that position, look at the alternator, you will see the main cable that runs back to the battery. (as you look at it) a little over an inch to it's RIGHT, there is a squared section of casting. take the plug with the release tab facing UP and slip it into the hole at the back of that squared section.

you plug goes in the hole at the 10 o'clock position from the DSM symbol
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I found exactly where the red wire goes thank you so much for that. My next question is how do I adjust the carburetor that was just rebuilt to run the best by myself

Comment

Working...
                              X