This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice tidbit for those with barely any heat

I've been following a thread on the FML about Festiva T-stats..

I've noticed that most people use a stant replacement T-stat.. I am guilty as well. There is a problem with them.. They are single stage t-stats and the oem is a dual stage t-stat. RT-1073 is the Motorcraft part #, F1CZ-8575 is
    Ford's part # With me being in Texas, this isn't a problem as it doesn't get too cold here. But those of you throwing cardboard in front of your radiators, this may be your answer...

Anyways, just thought I'd pass it on... Stay warm..

Nice find !!
    I will look into one of those
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

updated info. on t-stats

Just wanted to be accurate here; when you said : ..."I've noticed that most people use a stant replacement T-stat.. I am guilty as well" .
      Is the "stant" the same thing as a thermostat?

Comment

Re: updated info. on t-stats

Originally posted by E95
        Just wanted to be accurate here; when you said : ..."I've noticed that most people use a stant replacement T-stat.. I am guilty as well" .
        Is the "stant" the same thing as a thermostat?
        Stant is the name brand that most McParts sell.. Autozone,O'Reiley's, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys etc.. They are single stage T-Stats.

Comment

I found out the hard way. Aftermarket tstats will not work. They will stay open all the time. Get a oem tstat from ford. Or a tstat for a 1.6 from Madza is a few dollars cheaper. Madza will have the tstat instock. Ford will not.

Comment

^^Actually allot of Ford dealers STILL carry these parts.. A few people have already got them from Ford. I originally thought the same thing. But so far I have found the Motorcraft part in quite a few places. Biggest problem is that instead of asking for the part by number, people ask for a Festiva part, which invokes the counter guy to not even look. Instead they'll say they have been discontinued etc.

Comment

If a car runs too cool the oxygen sensor won't work right and will cause all kinds of other problems.

Comment

The part number you listed is missing a letter, it shold be F1CZ-8575-A
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Thermostats

I get this thermostat at the Mazda dealer. The Ford dealer never has them in stock and they cost outrageous. Aftermarket parts shops only can get the 1 stage crappy thermostat. At the Mazda tell them it is for the GLC, 323 or Miata B6 engine. (B3 Thermo = B6 Thermo)

Comment

I have a problem, I changed out the thermostat to the ford number in this thread and it runs colder than it did with the stant? Does this ford number come in diffrent temps?
                    Thanks!! :idea:
                    God save me from my fondist wish!!

Comment

Rockauto.com has them for $17.78
                      www.dantheoilman.com
                      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

I just bought a motorcraft thru my Ford dealer. $27, i think. (every place I saw online had a cheaper price, $17-$18, but absurd shipping prices, making the money difference pretty negligible). Changed it yesterday - a super difference - my old t-stat was indeed stuck open. Now I'm worried about OVERheating because I've never seen the temp guage move before. ha. I had a little steam escaping around the radiator cap - I am hoping it's just due to me overfilling the coolant a bit too much. Now I'm going to have to keep an eye on when and if the cooling fan kicks on. (more threads to read).
                        93 Festiva - manual trans
                        graphic design junk: www.standard-design.com

Comment

$38 at my dealership.

I just put mine in. As I'm tightening it down....crack!

This is the SECOND thermostat housing I've broken on this car.

Man these things are bad cheaply.

No I wasn't wrenching on it super hard either.

OMG, I love gear wrenches. Last time it took over an hour, this time...20 minutes.
                          www.dantheoilman.com
                          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

^^^I've busted a few myself..

Comment

New guy here. I wish I had seen this thread before I changed my thermostat-- two days ago. Did no good at all. I will now visit my Ford dealer and do it all over again. As to breaking the housing, you have to be absolutely sure the thermostat is centered and is down in the depression made for it. If any of the lip sticks out, the housing will break when you pull it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X