This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation can help profoundly.

I have lots of left over sleeping bag closed cell foam ground pads; and have been planning on using them glued inside the Festiva, on all the inner sheet metal surfaces I can get to.

I like removing the inner panels to expose the sheet metal; mainly since there are so many extra places to store things then. That does remove a dead air space, a person reasons makes the car colder inside, or hotter depending.

I used the same material on a '66 VW "square-back" sedan to replace a deteriorated headliner; which was far superior in terms of insulation from heat or cold; as well as liberating so much space I used to keep my Raleigh Colt three-speed bike hung from the inside of the roof.

Another time I glued that same sort of sleeping bag ground pad closed cell foam, all over the interior sheet metal of a '75 Chevy panel van I lived out of awhile. That was an exceptionally successful adaptation; since sleeping inside with bare sheet metal could be worse than being outside the condensation was so severe, like being in rain.

That foam is made so a person can sleep directly on top of snow or ice quite comfortably, so you can imagine the stuff works great glued to sheet metal inside a vehicle; and looks pretty sharp too. The sound insulation value seems limited, unfortunately.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

• i,also have one.been putting mine in,for many years.

Comment

• LOL I sprayed insulation all over the outside on mine !
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

• hello friend,did you not see link above to oRILEY?12.95 for thermostat.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobstad View Post
            I have lots of left over sleeping bag closed cell foam ground pads; and have been planning on using them glued inside the Festiva, on all the inner sheet metal surfaces I can get to.
            Pls clarify: are you doing this inside the interior of your Festiva/the cabin or just on the underside of the hood in the engine bay?

I have heard that heat/noise insulation material on cars breaks down over time and is one of the reasons why cars that are 'whisper-quiet' when brand new sound so much louder years later. I wonder what benefit you'd get gluing your sleeping bag material on the bottom of the hood? Hmmmm....
            88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
            88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
            91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
            93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• If you covered the re-enforcements too the hood paint would last longer.

Comment

• Snoose-full, no thanks.

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                LOL I sprayed insulation all over the outside on mine !
                There is a place, a proverbial "wide spot in the road" somewhere probably in Oregon; where for a fee they will spray some sort of wood pulp byproduct insulation, at whatever a person presents there for them to deal with.

A friend magician Clark James had them use this stuff on the interior of his '80s Ford Econoline panel van, he traveled in and lived out of often; producing a lumpy whitish covering of apparent thickness, which supposedly added insulative values one easily imagines was sound deadening too.

I don't think this costs much, and occasionally by following lines on maps I'd pass by this place in my peregrinations up and down the three western states. A largish vertical building like some sort of refugee from where there used to be grain elevators, along those lines only different.

Probably on an old 99 parallel to I-5, between Salem and Portland; is an educated guess. Perhaps in Albany, would be poetically appropriate; always smelling that place, if one thinks of Clark's van.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

• Re: Nice tidbit for those with barely any heat

Im assuming my tstat has been replaced, it takes a while but it eventually stabilizes about half way up

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Originally posted by bobstad View Post
                    There is a place, a proverbial "wide spot in the road" somewhere probably in Oregon; where for a fee they will spray some sort of wood pulp byproduct insulation, at whatever a person presents there for them to deal with.

A friend magician Clark James had them use this stuff on the interior of his '80s Ford Econoline panel van, he traveled in and lived out of often; producing a lumpy whitish covering of apparent thickness, which supposedly added insulative values one easily imagines was sound deadening too.

I don't think this costs much, and occasionally by following lines on maps I'd pass by this place in my peregrinations up and down the three western states. A largish vertical building like some sort of refugee from where there used to be grain elevators, along those lines only different.

Probably on an old 99 parallel to I-5, between Salem and Portland; is an educated guess. Perhaps in Albany, would be poetically appropriate; always smelling that place, if one thinks of Clark's van.
                    Clarks van smelled like Albany??!! There is a place closer to Salem that will insulate most anything, a solidifying liquid..

Wow, the only thing that smells that bad is the north side of Gardiner near one of the best sturgeon fishing holes in Oregon.. and one of the best places to ride log broncs.. detroit powered of course, nothing sounds so pretty at full song..

The rubber paint on mine insulates incredibly well, I need to get the glass tinted with the tint that has the best insulation value, and I have no idea what type would be best..

Comment

• not to kill a dead horse.

why does a 2 stage thermostat have to be installed with the smaller valve facing upwards?

I put mine to the side, on a stock miata they are not even vertical they are placed horizontal. i dont get it, why they have to be installed that way up.

Comment

• Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                        not to kill a dead horse.

why does a 2 stage thermostat have to be installed with the smaller valve facing upwards?

I put mine to the side, on a stock miata they are not even vertical they are placed horizontal. i dont get it, why they have to be installed that way up.
                        Because of the small air bleeder thats at 12 oclock,you could get a small air pocket otherwise. But horizontal is still better than upside down.:thumbs_up:
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                          Pls clarify: are you doing this inside the interior of your Festiva/the cabin or just on the underside of the hood in the engine bay?

I have heard that heat/noise insulation material on cars breaks down over time and is one of the reasons why cars that are 'whisper-quiet' when brand new sound so much louder years later. I wonder what benefit you'd get gluing your sleeping bag material on the bottom of the hood? Hmmmm....
                          I've only used the closed cell insulation for sleeping bag ground pads on the cabin interior metal surfaces of a car then a van; not anything inside the engine compartment. The research I've done, suggests that materials designed for sound insulation are often different than those made for heat insulation; while easy to imagine things made specifically for automotive use would combine both, if done at the factory.

Aftermarket products seem mostly differentiated between sound or thermal values. I'd be wary about using the sleeping bag ground pad material anywhere near heat from a car's engine or exhaust system; since obviously not designed for heat resistance, only against cold.

Comment

• The A in the Ford part number F1CZ-8575-A, is the engineering revision level. Ford part numbers are divided into prefix, base, and suffix. The first letter of the prefix represents the decade, the second numeral represents the year within the decade. F1=91, E8=88.
                            The base represents the part group and specific item within the part group.

I checked and there are revisions from A to E for that thermostat. Only a Ford dealer would be able to sort out what the differencees are for you.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• So I've just installed a dual stage thermostat right side up and with the small valve on top as per recommendations. I also took the opportunity to flush out the heater hose lines with a garden hose and drain them with my air compressor. Filled it up with fresh coolant the whole way, and there's still no heat when the car is warmed up. Could the outside of the heater core be blocked? I'm talking 100% icy air here.
                              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

• Just to be sure, you are blowing the heat out of the defrost or floor correct? You know that only cold blows out of the vents correct?
                                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                                X