To Sand or Not To Sand, that is the Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Sand or Not To Sand, that is the Question

So, a while back, I snagged a VC from Neanderpaul, with the intentions of painting it and then swapping it when I did my VC gasket. My intentions all along were to paint, and then sand off the high spots, so it would be red, and aluminum. But it turned out so damn sexy, I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on sanding. Any thoughts?

P.S. I wish I would have taken some in progress pictures, cause it looks worlds different now. :banghead:

Ignore the bunged up looking oil fill cap, I've got a new one to go on it. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

I think it would look even better with the high spots sanded, but it does look really good the way it is right now.
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

It did come out good. I think I'd leave it alone.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I'd put some racing stripes on it

I like them both ways, but if it's aluminum (on top) it's more noticeable when it's dirty IMO.

I'm totally against polishing ,but with all the up and coming bp cars I had to :lol:
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

keep it all red, it turned out really nice!

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

put some hello kittys on it lol
            05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

Here is my VC from the start to the end

First paint

Before the 2nd paint

The last coat of paint

The final look of my VC

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

That is a tough one, I think I would leave it alone, by the way it looks great.:thumbleft:
                '90 LX

Comment

I'm a fan of sanding the ribs. When the bp was in my first car i just sanded the mazda and dohc 16valve

In the new car i repainted and also sanded the ribs. Hard to say, yours will look awesome either way.

Comment

I think the sanded parts make it look more 90's style. The solid paint job looks more modern to me and less "factory".

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by fattie View Post
                      put some hello kittys on it lol
                      Nah, I'm going to leave the Hello Kitty's for TominMo. Not trying to steal his thunder.:p

Think I'm back to sanding the high spots again. Dunno, nothing's going to happen to it until tomorrow, so I guess I'll see if I'm feeling it when I pull the old one off.

Comment

Sand

........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Paint the highs black

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                          92 GL - parts car
                          97 aspire - parts car
                          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
                            Paint the highs black
                            That was actually the original, original plan discussed in Dean's driveway. Just can't seem to locate paint that I could brush on, that would be high heat resistant. May hold off on sanding and check a few more places. All the McParts places seem to only have either rattle cans, or the little scratch pens.

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                              That was actually the original, original plan discussed in Dean's driveway. Just can't seem to locate paint that I could brush on, that would be high heat resistant. May hold off on sanding and check a few more places. All the McParts places seem to only have either rattle cans, or the little scratch pens.
                              If you can't find paint that you can brush on that is High Temp, you may conside this. Spray some paint from a Rattle Can into a Dixie cup then use a brush to paint it on, I have done this before.
                              '90 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X