Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
    You carb guys really need a redesigned intake.
    Yes we do!!!! I have a B6, carbed with a B3 intake. It Sucks! Would like an intake with different porportions.

Was looking into the 1985 B6 carbed intake. Would that intake flow better?
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

My line of thinking is simple in regards to building your B3 or doing a swap. You already have the B3, it's in your car, it's free. Many of you have already bought headers & the like, which could all be reused, saving additional money. If you are doing a swap, you have to by an engine. Often times in unknown condition, possibly having to perform a repair just to get it running. Then fab motor mounts & things of this nature, which isn't a huge deal but just another obstacle. Then there is the matter of never being happy with what you have & wanting more. At this point, you have already taxed the stock internal components of your swap engine, requiring you to put the same amount of money in it ( actually more because there is 2 of everything in the valve train ) as you would if you would have just stuck with the B3. The advantage of displacement is trivial at best. Think of it like this, "I would much rather have a Mustang with a well built, nasty 306 than one with a bone stock 460."
      PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
        Yes we do!!!! I have a B6, carbed with a B3 intake. It Sucks! Would like an intake with different porportions.

Was looking into the 1985 B6 carbed intake. Would that intake flow better?
        Sorry, I couldn't answer that. Unfamiliar with that intake.
        PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Re: Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Hmmm... maybe I should have you build me up a b3 for my project instead of a BP...
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            Hmmm... maybe I should have you build me up a b3 for my project instead of a BP...
            Should do something Festiva related. :-)
            -Donny
            -1992 Festiva GL
            B6D/E-series.
            -1991 GL
            BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

I could not imagine what 150 on a b3 would be like......
              Now I gotta go find threads on what people have done NA with a b3.
              Fast....Women are fast
              Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                I could not imagine what 150 on a b3 would be like......
                Now I gotta go find threads on what people have done NA with a b3.
                It would be like 7000rpms.
                Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Re: Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

7000? I would hope at least 8. I revved my b6t and BP to 7200 on stock valve train.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Matt, not sure what you plan on getting out of a BIG BORE kit for a B3 as they are non-siamesed cylinders, not much to work with there, where a B6 bottom puts you with larger and siamesed bores right off the bat. i'm all about getting the most out of a B3, but IMHO, a stroker kit is where it's at for more displacement.

that being said: stroke a B3, and DE-stroke a B6.... i hope you see where i'm trying to go with this :evil4:
                    Last edited by FestYboy; 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      Matt, not sure what you plan on getting out of a BIG BORE kit for a B3 as they are non-siamesed cylinders, not much to work with there, where a B6 bottom puts you with larger and siamesed bores right off the bat. i'm all about getting the most out of a B3, but IMHO, a stroker kit is where it's at for more displacement.

that being said: stroke a B3, and DE-stroke a B6.... i hope you see where i'm trying to go with this :evil4:
                      Something I do understand! You get 25 free horsepower merely by stepping up from 1.3 litre displacement to 1.6. And with that you still have a durable/reliable engine. For sure when you start pushing a B3 just to gain 25 hp you'll incrementally lose on engine life. Every additional 1000 rpm you can get out of a stock motor comes at exponential cost for this to be done properly.
                      If I understand correctly the OEM 1.3 twin cam Festys (the fabled GTX) put out around 90-100 horse but were essentially de-stroked B5s and not built-up B3s.

Comment

I'd love to see a b3 putting out some nice power numbers.

Comment

I am not sure about the architecture similarities between the B3, B6 or B8 ( on the cylinder head ) but Matt does have a B3 header and if the 3 heads are similar or the same in port spacing I bet the B3 header would work either right out of the box or with a bit of fabrication.
                          There's a B3 header available? I was not aware of this. I'd love some info on what's available. I'd be happy to even just get an exhuast flange for the B3.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            7000? I would hope at least 8. I revved my b6t and BP to 7200 on stock valve train.
                            I pulled that number out my back side, just meant the power could be stuck very high in the range. Again, just talking out my ...
                            Last edited by KingFish; 12-19-2012, 10:45 PM.
                            Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              Something I do understand! You get 25 free horsepower merely by stepping up from 1.3 litre displacement to 1.6. And with that you still have a durable/reliable engine. For sure when you start pushing a B3 just to gain 25 hp you'll incrementally lose on engine life. Every additional 1000 rpm you can get out of a stock motor comes at exponential cost for this to be done properly.
                              If I understand correctly the OEM 1.3 twin cam Festys (the fabled GTX) put out around 90-100 horse but were essentially de-stroked B5s and not built-up B3s.
                              Bert, that 25 horsepower isn't free. You have to swap engines to get it.

7500 rpm all day long is easy for a stock b3.

And you are correct about the GTU engine.
                              Last edited by FestYboy; 12-19-2012, 11:00 PM.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I would like to see a set of pistons for the B6 bore (stock or overbore) with the shorter compression height of a B3 piston. That would allow us to use a B6 block for maximum displacement and a B3 crank and rods.
                                I am admittedly biased, but I think the SOHC B6 is a wonderful base to start with. You get the Bolt-in features of a B3, extensive parts interchangeability, more displacement, bigger valves and bigger ports. Just like a SBF; why build a 260 if you can start with a 302?

It would also be nice if you posted your products on here for those of us that don't do Facebook.

I completely agree with the theory of building the B3 as opposed to swapping a DOHC. 150hp would be great, but that's pushing the limit for the stock trans and clutch. The advantages of using the B3 in terms of cost and not having to mess with a swap begin to diminish when you have to buy an aftermarket clutch or do a G series swap to handle the extra power reliably. HP costs mony, regardless of the package.
                                Last edited by blkfordsedan; 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM.
                                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                                X