No announcement yet.

Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ I guess I should have stated it like Aaron did.
    I drilled holes in my intake already. I noticed a "little" top end increase, but the noise was the biggest gain.
    Im about to switch to an aspire head to help me gain some top end for getting up the hills.

Ill ask this question to Matt directly, but I kind of suspect the answer already.

Is there any negatives or benifitt to piecing together one of your head/valvetrain kits in stages, as apposed to saving up a little more and getting the whole shebang? Right now I'm looking at the options of "just doing a rebuild" which is alright with me for now, but that will push the head upgrades out by a "few months". Or, Just getting your full head installing it, after of course having the bottom end checked etc, and calling it a day.

Also have you ever done headwork on other engines ? more specifically I have a 90 NA z32 and an 83 280zx-T that I am looking to "liven up" a little. Everyone says the z32 NA is a lost cause, but like the B3 it is slowly showing us different.

P.S. Aaron sounds a litlle cheeky in his reply...I however do ask honesly.
    @Aaron :-P
    Last edited by MiltonHavoc; 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM.
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

• the 22 mph pickup was real but it wasnt just from my intake thats just one piece of the puzzle. the stock intake tube to the maf was 2.5" i.d. and the hemholtz resonator was 1.5-1.8 inches. so i just put a k&n with the 2.5" i.d. on it making the whole stock intake tube continuous. the hood scoop was positioned directly above the filter for cold/ram air. and the heat shield sealed off the compartment giving me some extra power when i was going over 90mph. there was a huge loss of torque and the power shifted high up into the rpm range. not to mention you can increase top speed by doing aero mods as well. my car was lowered which also helps with how the car cuts through the air. and the aspire body is much more aerodynamic than the festiva. my rims were flush with the body of the vehicle as well. things math wont help you calculate
      things you cant reproduce on the dyno aerodynamics and the ram air effect. one of the biggest factors that requires more power going over 60 mph is the air the vehicle has to push through. making the car more aerodynamic also help raise top speed by decreasing resistance through the flow of air.

i still respect your engine building experience but everything described was real. and i agree that i would not pick up 40hp from the intake.
      but the aerodynamics and ram air effect also came into play in this equation i understand that it is the entire build that makes the car not just one piece.
      for example if i were to remove all of the interior from my vehicle. i could in essence increase my top speed due to less mass for the car to propel. but it wouldnt increase the engine power.
      Last edited by rmoltis; 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• There are way too many unknowns to comment effectively about that higher top end speed. The way it was presented leaves but two choices, BS or important information
        has been with held. No animosity intended at all, that is just what I felt not knowing
        you here.

One thing I noticed is the cone filter is too close to the air flow sensor in the picture. This can cause errors in reading the actual air flow and can cause loss of torque where the previous GPS were right on. If the previous GPS were off at the top end, sometimes they are, you may have induced a correct reading and picked up a little
        power. Of all the cars and trucks I have corrected on the dyno none were off that far and still running okay.

As I have said before I don't know Matt but sincerely respect his knowledge .
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
          the 22 mph pickup was real but it wasnt just from my intake thats just one piece of the puzzle.
          To quote you: "And on a side note my last aspire had a cone filter with a heat shield. And a hood scoop directly above it for a true cold air intake. Stock exhaust, stock engine, iridium plugs and premium wires. Now with the stock airbox my car would top out at 85mph on flat road in fifth gear at sea level. But with the cold air setup I was now able to achieve 107 and max out my speedometer would this not indicate an increase in power??"

It sounded very much like you were saying your CAI gave you 22mph. See how that is confusing? I've observed my IATs hitting 165+ sitting still with an aluminum tubed WAI. Then they abruptly plunge when I would start moving at speed. With a typical Ram air intake you need some decent speed to even get to a point where it produces useful boost. Until you do back to back tests under the EXACT same conditions(which just won't likely happen on the road) you won't prove an intake does anything but make a nicer noise. IATs are hardly the only factor.

Can we agree to disagree and get on with what the thread is supposed to be about?
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Re: Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Yeah I'm thinking matts thread advertising his proven product is being trashed...
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• Ahh, the "ram air effect". Here's how I understand it...
              At the speeds we travel in a passenger car, air is non-compressible. The force of air you feel when you stick your hand out the window is the flow of air or the kinetic energy. This is not the same as air pressure. In order to convert this kenetic energy into an actual increase in air density requires way more energy than can be supplied by such motion. It requires an energy input like a supercharger or turbo. But, "ram air" does sound and look cool. One thing to keep in mind on EFI cars, the wave pulses in the induction system can be negatively effected by introducing moving or turbulent air. The result can be surging, drivability issues and messed up readings from the MAF sensor.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

• im not worried about it i know what i had and people can disbelieve all they want. i had years of 100+mph driving satisfaction.
                and thats all i need is the memories of my experiences. and yes i agree it sounds confusin. because technically that was the only engine modification/power adder i had
                if you guys want proof go fabricate your own setups. and so i agree we can all disagree.
                and ram air doesnt have to compress to add power it could simply remove the deficit of air being able to flow through a tube at higher rpm

and i still respect matts work and i think its awesome.
                Last edited by rmoltis; 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Sorry Matt didn't mean to thread hijack.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• ugh.....thread.....derailed....
                    Fast....Women are fast
                    Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

We can get it back on track

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• I think this is on track.

what would I need to have done to a FI engine before even considering the kit? I have nearly finished the suspension and brakes. Would like to do the head, not sure what electronic wizardry would need to be done as well.
                        HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
                        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

• I will try to answer a few questions at the same time here...

The question about where to start on a festiva with a $500 budget..I would go with a completely ported head 1st, while dyno testing back when I first started all of this, I found more power with a ported head & stock cam than a stock head with a performance cam. So my suggestion is, start with the head, depending on the results you desire, you could even use the stock valves to save some money. And then later on, as you can afford, add a cam & springs as this can be done w/o removing the head. Just remember, as I said before, easy bolt ons, such as CAI's, headers/exhaust only yield significant results if Mazda left some power on the table. Unfortunately they didn't.
                          PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

• It is probably a little too early to leak this, but, I am building a car for a customer to take to the Salt Flats. So I figured since I am going to be there anyways for tuning assistance, what better place to test some parts that I am developing right now. So, in short, just letting you guys know, I thought it would be fun to build a festiva to take to Bonneville & set a speed record.

Comment

• Thanks Matt, that is EXACTLY what I wanted to know..and turns out the answer is not as bad as I thought it would be :-) although I might wait and save a lil for springs as well. Thanks again!!!
                              Fast....Women are fast
                              Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

• Developing head design for my up coming project ( raised port competition cylinder head )

Comment

Working...
                                X