Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
    I am personally not against an engine swap of any kind, I am just surprised that what I would have considered the 1st option ( seeing what can be done with the original engine ) would be the most obvious place to start. But in this group, building a B3 seems a new concept. Just seems odd to me.
    Its because a $200 junkyard engine is not a difficult/expensive swap and essentially doubles the power over a stock b3... most people here don't know anything about building an engine or don't want to spend more on building an engine than their car is worth. Cheap fun.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

how much modification would i need to do to my head to use this kit? are you planning on building a carbed intake that would flow better?
      Rod

"Confidence is the most important thing you can teach someone... if you can teach them confidence, you don't have to teach them anything else."

1992 truckiva
      1989 festiva lx (mine again)
      1980 triumph tr7 convertible (project)
      1976 tr7 hardtop (parts car)
      1989 dodge caravan turbo
      1975 amc gremlin 4x4 (play toy)

Comment

I can see where this should be heading..we start doing this and that until the b3
        is the preferred engine, swappers will swap back for a sweet simple engine that
        runs awesome and gets good gasoline mileage as well!

We can bolt on what ever we want when ever we have the cash..
        Go racing with B3..stage two! I do like the idea of looking at the
        ideal engine for us then building a step at a time until it is done
        while continuing to drive and enjoy the improvements.

Way better than all the mis-guided "builds" I see come through the
        shop. No trusted goal and known parts to get there, they all have to
        have big turbo's and maybe nos. That is probably what put the rings
        in the pan of the VR4 I put out back. I put it out there when I was
        handed the title instead of a deposit to fix it...
        Stick to the stuff that has been proven to work and follow that recipe
        for success..
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
          I am personally not against an engine swap of any kind, I am just surprised that what I would have considered the 1st option ( seeing what can be done with the original engine ) would be the most obvious place to start. But in this group, building a B3 seems a new concept. Just seems odd to me.
          Well, we've really had zero aftermarket support up to this point. Combined with the relatively cheap, easy and available DOHC Mazda engines that have some support, no one ever really seriously considered it. Maybe it's just me being old, but it seems to me that the concept of internal engine mods has become lost on the newer generation of performance enthusiasts. The older 5.0L crowd had a huge aftermarket. Since the Modular, LSx and Import crowd came on the scene, seems most everyone wants to bolt on forced induction, intake and exhaust. When I was growing up, if you wanted HP you had to start from scratch and do it N/A.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Wait, I BUILT my B8. I have a good understanding of internal combustion engines. I just think, considering the ease of install, a larger displacement and better flowing engine is a far better place to start. And I would much sooner spend money on performance upgrades for my 1.8L than on a 1.3L. The 1.3L is a incredibly economical and reliable engine. But I want to play.

And the idea of a professorial creating some internals for my beloved 1.8L. WHOO HOO!
            Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

All valid points, Kingfish. Having already swapped to the B8, you are maybe in a better position for aftermarket support than you realize? You already have the entire BP/Miata aftermarket if you chose to upgrade the short block. As for the head, you're in a great position to upgrade to DOHC. I don't know if you'll ever find anyone to offer a performance cam for a 16v SOHC when the 16v DOHC has become the performance standard...and unfortunately, the 16v SOHC doesn't benefit from the mass production numbers of b3 or even the 8v SOHC B6.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Very true, but you can't blame me for trying.
                Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

LOL, it never hurts to try!!! To some extent, technology has been both the best and worst thing to happen to the performance automotive aftermarket. EFI, variable valve timing, multi-valve heads, OBD tuning capabilities....they've all raised the bar on performance. The stuff rolling off the production line has caused the aftermarket to compete with the OEM at levels like never before. Just like computers and electronics, it seems if you don't have to high end stuff no one wants to mess with it. The SOHC Modular Ford is a good example. Even having been the factory motor in the Mustang GT from 1996 until 2005, the 2v version has always been overshadowed by the DOHC 4v version. Up until a few years ago, there was no aftermarket performance 2v head available...only CNC ported factory heads and ultra-rare SVO heads. I find this amazing, since the production of the bread-and-butter 2v motor greatly outweighed the the more exotic 4v DOHC motor. But, the aftermarket was faced with a totally different animal with the OHC design and a 4v factory offering that's tough to best....regardless of the limited availability.

No doubt Matt has extensive insight on this.....
                  Last edited by blkfordsedan; 12-25-2012, 02:11 AM.
                  Brian

Comment

These are sadly familiar comments. The thread is about performance parts for the B3. Why the constant need to mention why it makes more sense to just swap engines and go from there? More displacement and "more productive" upgrades are obvious advantages of engine swapping. Could we maybe stop repeating this stuff in a thread about support for B3 parts?
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

^ Here, here!! I just got a header for my B3, & would like more engine upgrades. Not that I would not like a B6 swap, IF I could find 1, na ofcourse.Heck I can't even find a Aspire to do the brake upgrade. None , B6 or Aspires in my area in a long while. B3 upgrades are needed!!!!
                      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
                        ^ Here, here!! I just got a header for my B3, & would like more engine upgrades. Not that I would not like a B6 swap, IF I could find 1, na ofcourse.Heck I can't even find a Aspire to do the brake upgrade. None , B6 or Aspires in my area in a long while. B3 upgrades are needed!!!!
                        Very good point. The OEM brakes and suspension of Festys pretty much requires upgrade in advance of an engine boost. I can't say I was ever impressed with Festy brakes and with more power and higher speed you'll be going through shoes and pads like poop through a goose. Brake service on my Aspire swap has been wonderfully absent over the past 2 years compared to what I had to deal with before.

Comment

ok guys understand this: from here on out, we focus on B3 performance ONLY.

that being said, any mods any other suggestions OTHER than a head swap from a B6 variant to a B3 bottom end are considered taboo.

Matt: i totaly see what you're saying about the bore the the ability for further valve unshrouding but .120" over bore is just nuts unless you plan on re-sleaving the block?, there just isn't enough material to safely bore to that size (you'd be going to 74.4mm but you know that already). anywho, given that the piston speed of a B3 at full song is well below the max the it can handle, a stroker kit along with the overbore would net greater gains, AND a stroker kit could also be used on the B6 bottom as well (which is what i was getting at earlier).

thoughts?
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i saw that matts header included 1.37 inch primaries. that is huge! a little bigger then i plan on going with my header. all my primaries are going to be 1". but in case no one knows, im way more interested in fuel economy then i am with going fast. i cant wait for his 12-1 piston and rod set gets perfected and released, thatd be a great upgrade for someone looking to turn their b3 into the ultimate tinker mobile. think about that when wanting to maximize on e85. e85 could support so so much higher c/r than premium could. even pump gas with water injection would be a decent place to start. i plan on doing testing on that in the future. imagine what a great fuel burn you could get if your combustion chamber were always steam cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              ok guys understand this: from here on out, we focus on B3 performance ONLY.

that being said, any mods any other suggestions OTHER than a head swap from a B6 variant to a B3 bottom end are considered taboo.

Matt: i totaly see what you're saying about the bore the the ability for further valve unshrouding but .120" over bore is just nuts unless you plan on re-sleaving the block?, there just isn't enough material to safely bore to that size (you'd be going to 74.4mm but you know that already). anywho, given that the piston speed of a B3 at full song is well below the max the it can handle, a stroker kit along with the overbore would net greater gains, AND a stroker kit could also be used on the B6 bottom as well (which is what i was getting at earlier).

thoughts?
                              Can we notch the cylinder wall above where the top ring on the piston stops? Is there enough room in the head gasket
                              to noticeably unshroud the valves with out boring beyond limits?

If budget builds could hone and rering if the bore is in limits ; use a supplied template
                              to do it yourself notch, then put the purchased head kit on.

A variation for the mileage guys could be a angled notch to swirl the quench area.

All this is probably checked out already!
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Movin, i've seen on this forum (somewhere) the exact mod you refer to, and the short answer is: yes, it can be done, and without disturbing the rings. But as far as i know, no one has gone as far as producing a running engine from it. the one big reason for this is the dramatic drop in CR. BUT if Matt starts producing the 11:1 (or higher) kits that point becomes moot and it becomes a viable idea again.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X