how much power can you get out of a 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      Yes.
      So you collect the oil and it runs back into the oil pan. But what about the exhaust gas that is getting into the crank case. Is that what is vented to atmosphere?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

The excess crank pressure is then vented to atmosphere, yes. Piston rings are pressure sensitive. They rely on the pressure differential to seal. When an engines crankcase becomes pressurized, the rings don't seal properly. This contributes to more blowby and more oil consumption, as well as less efficiency (due to lower dynamic compression.) The hot combustion gasses and fuel vapors also break down the oil faster, superheats the oil and can lead to frothing of the oil. Engines with improperly ventilated crankcases wear faster and are less reliable. Many modern boosted engines have had air oil separator problems because it's hard to develop a system that meets EPA guidelines and flows the amount of air necessary to promote proper breathing of the bottom end. I've developed crank ventilation systems for several companies on European cars. I was delighted to see that the b6t was set up for a proper system from the get go.
        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-29-2016, 08:55 PM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Humble pie, whilst it is not the most tantalizing flavour in the world, it certainly has its place in the world for people like me.
          Insert all "I told you so " comments here.

My "R&D" in the turbo b3 had come to a grinding holt last week when under normal driving conditions , a conrod decided it wanted to see what the bottom of the sump looked like.
          And with a loud group of bangs combined with a big puff of white smoke, the original b3 for the car had passed away, along with my dreams of building a reasonable b3 with the spare engine.
          Now the spare b3 will be swapped in as a get me around engine.
          And with great embarrassment, I say I should've just listened to those in the know.
          I have already started saving some dollars for a swap in the near future. Still not sure what motor will be going into it, but like many of the other threads have stated, getting an engine already capable of making more power than a an exploding can of soda will be a good start.

I feel like an absolute pencil to have dreamed so high :/
          But feet now firm on the ground, I shall move forward to a faster festiva.

Beazo

Comment

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it's just that the b3 needs lots of money pumped into it to survive if it's driven hard under boost. You did nothing to feel bad about. We all have those, "I'll do it my way and... moments. I've done it, most people have. Keep your head up and say, I tried!
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              As far as cam work--when Matt D did the cams in my 1.3 and 1.6, he had to go to manually-adjusted rockers for clearance, because of the extra lobe lift he designed in. Also, my motors are now interference motors, for that reason. For most people, I would recommend keeping the lobe profile stock, which lets you retain the HLAs if you have them. Depending on how much power you wanted, you could still go to larger valves for more flow, but that's where you start dumping $$$ into the project. A simple valve job and cleanup of the combustion chambers, and the intake and exhaust runners, would give a lot of bang for buck. Then turbo that. You could just slap a turbo on a completely stock motor, for sure, and it would be great fun; but you'd be even happier with some basic-level head work.

Fuel mileage will not suffer much or at all, if you are just cruising on the hwy, depending on your turbo choice. I had Greg use one that kept me out of boost until about 3000 RPM, so I could drive non-boosted normally, and just use the turbo for when I needed maximum acceleration.

Like every stop sign.....:-)
              -
              Will a 1.6 exhaust manifold be a bolt on affair worth going for -- especially if cleaned up and port matched -- or will the same results be had from a stock 1.3 exhaust manifold -- and from there going to a 2 inch pipe

Comment

Originally posted by blowby View Post
                Will a 1.6 exhaust manifold be a bolt on affair worth going for -- especially if cleaned up and port matched -- or will the same results be had from a stock 1.3 exhaust manifold -- and from there going to a 2 inch pipe
                The gen1 323/Tracer (1986-89) exhaust manifold will bolt up. It should provide somewhat better flow. I would use the 323 exhaust manifold gasket, and try to mildly port-match the Festiva head to it.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If the head is coming off for any kind of porting, you HAVE to get rid of the shelf on the short side, it's a huge restriction.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post
                    Humble pie, whilst it is not the most tantalizing flavour in the world, it certainly has its place in the world for people like me.
                    Insert all "I told you so " comments here.

My "R&D" in the turbo b3 had come to a grinding holt last week when under normal driving conditions , a conrod decided it wanted to see what the bottom of the sump looked like.
                    And with a loud group of bangs combined with a big puff of white smoke, the original b3 for the car had passed away, along with my dreams of building a reasonable b3 with the spare engine.
                    Now the spare b3 will be swapped in as a get me around engine.
                    And with great embarrassment, I say I should've just listened to those in the know.
                    I have already started saving some dollars for a swap in the near future. Still not sure what motor will be going into it, but like many of the other threads have stated, getting an engine already capable of making more power than a an exploding can of soda will be a good start.

I feel like an absolute pencil to have dreamed so high :/
                    But feet now firm on the ground, I shall move forward to a faster festiva.

Beazo
                    It's not a failure unless you refuse to learn from it. Thanks for posting so that others may also learn. We all see the high hopes and the dreams, but the story often fades away when things go badly. It's great that your giving it another go with a stronger powerplant.

Comment

Working...
                    X