X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Originally posted by alpaccino View Post
    Great right up, question how to achieve negative camber at the rear. I know advance had made a plate, was wondering if any one had tried that mod. Can alignment shims any good for this?

Sent from my 6043A using Tapatalk
    gotta use washers under the spindle.

Leave a comment:

• alpaccino
    replied
    Great right up, question how to achieve negative camber at the rear. I know advance had made a plate, was wondering if any one had tried that mod. Can alignment shims any good for this?

Sent from my 6043A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• skeeters_keeper
    replied
    ^^ overkill is underrated!

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    In the past I have used a washer between the front top hats and the Kia Rio strut bearing, just to distribute the load over a wider surface. This was just a precautionary measure taken from years of experience with coilover suspension on strut vehicles. All the spring weight is being supported by the inner shoulder of the strut mount bearing to spring hat thrust sufface. Aluminum is softer than the steel washer, so it is more apt to compress. If it compresses then there could be a slight amount of binding as the hat would then contact the outer bearing race. I tend to over engineer everything though. Lol

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Seems fine to me. Car turns so much better than before. So I guess it's working

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
    Yes! The top hat was used as a top hat. I used the front coilovers as they came (aside from springs and hole mods). Top hat fit nicely over the rod. The rod fit nicely into the strut mount.
    Good write up Mike, how did the top of the new aluminum Hat mate with new upper Rio Mount (Bearing)?

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Yes! The top hat was used as a top hat. I used the front coilovers as they came (aside from springs and hole mods). Top hat fit nicely over the rod. The rod fit nicely into the strut mount.

Leave a comment:

• b1gballin
    replied

old vs new parts
    Is the top hat for the new front strut used at all for anything?

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    Great writeup. I love the use of using the rear spring perch as the spring top isolator.
    That is cool. I will try that when I do my Bilsteins next spring.

+1 on the great writeup! :-)
    Last edited by TominMO; 12-28-2015, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gergorian
    replied
    That is a great deal. I need to look on amazon more often. I always forget about it. I normaly have such good luck on ebay tho. The top hats have been the only thing in the last 6 years that have been an issue for me.
    Yeah I have found things on Amazon that were cheaper than rock auto believe it or not. And I have found things on Amazon that weren't even on rock auto haha.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    That is a great deal. I need to look on amazon more often. I always forget about it. I normaly have such good luck on ebay tho. The top hats have been the only thing in the last 6 years that have been an issue for me.

Leave a comment:

• bhazard
    replied
    It looks like summit springs are 50$ each-100$ for the pair. I got them from southwest speed for 39.98$ each. 79$ a pair.
    Okay my bad. Thought that was per spring.

Leave a comment:

• gergorian
    replied
    I got my Rio top hats on Amazon. Got super luck and only paid $7.50 each with prime shipping. I bought 4. Two for the coilovers and 2 spares.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Thanks. It seems to work rather well.

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Great writeup. I love the use of using the rear spring perch as the spring top isolator.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X