X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    The lowest I've gotten the strut mounts was 14 a piece from Rockauto about 2 years ago. I stocked up and bought 20 of them. I'm out now though, lol. 20 a piece is a good price. The Monroe parts seem to be lower priced than the KYB, and a decent quality part.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Spend the money once buddy! Get the kit! You can change it up a bit and try something new if you want. The kit however is amazing. Its so so good man. The festiva handles better then anything on this kit. I had like 500$ in the kit before i sold some non used parts.

Its the best 500$ i have ever spent moding a car.

Leave a comment:

• blake4591
    replied
    Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    You'll still need to get sleeves/adjusters for the front, and top spring hats. Then you'll need to cut off the existing spring perch. After all that, plus shipping on those shocks and you'll be within 50 bucks of the threaded body shocks. The quality and servicablity (the eBay coilovers can be rebuilt) of the threaded body coilovers is worth the extra 50 bucks. Not to mention you will have more adjustable travel with the threaded body shocks.
    In addition to this the mk3 KYB struts are about 1" to 2" longer when fully compressed than the hottuning coil overs. I had a set of each and did some side by side comparisons about 6 months ago. I don't think I have any pictures but if I have the coilovers off my car this winter I will get some pictures.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    What is a decent or low price for them?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I think i paid like 20$ each on ebau or something. I know u can shop around tho. Try rockauto, ebay, amazon, local autoparts store.

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Listen to Charlie = win win situation

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    Strut mounts are like penny stocks, buy low. The price fluctuates.
    What is a decent or low price for them?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Strut mounts are like penny stocks, buy low. The price fluctuates.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    Thanks again! You are right and I am going to stop being a rebel and just buy the things that were specified for convenience in the guide

I'm surprised at how expensive 2001 Kia Rio front strut mounts have become since last year!

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    No, you want the threaded body coilovers that Hottuning sells. They are basically the same price as those standard non adjustable shocks your looking at. The shocks your looking at are essentially around 100 bucks a piece shipped. The Hot tuning coilovers are 200 for the pair, shipped. You aren't saving any money by looking for them on rockauto, your just finding the wrong shocks. You may need to email hottuning for the MK3 Caddy front coilovers. They don't always have them up on eBay because we didn't get that vehicle here in the U.S.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    Dang I did not know that! Thanks for the info, seems like I am better off buying coilovers for the front even though I will be replacing the springs. In the post above you said, "According to Hot Tuning, they are the same part as the MK3 Golf front coilovers" so I found these VW golf mk3 front coilovers - $77.79: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....282036&jsn=449
    Will those work? I could not find caddy coilovers though I did not look very hard. Also there are "economy" coilovers, are those something to consider being $25 cheaper? Here's a link - $54.89: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....=1002&jsn=1002

After doing all that typing and looking I found golf mk2 front coilovers on Amazon - $96.88: https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-G5700.../dp/B005XH6PEK

Out of these I'm thinking best bet is mk2 coilovers from amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    You'll still need to get sleeves/adjusters for the front, and top spring hats. Then you'll need to cut off the existing spring perch. After all that, plus shipping on those shocks and you'll be within 50 bucks of the threaded body shocks. The quality and servicablity (the eBay coilovers can be rebuilt) of the threaded body coilovers is worth the extra 50 bucks. Not to mention you will have more adjustable travel with the threaded body shocks.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    Hey I've been looking into upgrading my suspension lately. I too did not want to buy the full coilover set when I was only going to be using half of it. I just wanted to post two cheaper alternatives while basically doing the same thing.

VW mk2 front strut - $43.79: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=376&jsn=376
    VW mk1 rear strut - $31.79: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....503018&jsn=238

Rock Auto also has 2001 kia rio front strut mounts and the VW bumb stops

The only things I could not find better deals on were both springs and the coilover kit. If someone knows of better deals you should let me know, I'm a penny pincher!

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    ^ 10-4 I like the fact that I'm only buying the fronts only.

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Make sure it's mk3 caddy. VW only imported the MK1 Caddy to the U.S., but those won't fit a Festiva. So you're buying front coilovers for a vehicle that wasn't imported into this country. MK3 VW Caddy (that's the Golf Pickup truck.)
    Chances are pretty good that the valving is the same, since they probably use the same inserts in all these coilovers. There was 1 member who used these and complained that they were riding on the bump stops at the ride height that he wanted, but not much else has been said. According to Hot Tuning, they are the same part as the MK3 Golf front coilovers. I have not ordered them this way myself, so I'm only giving a colaberative of second hand info.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    Is Charlie recommending the Caddy Struts up front rather than the previously highlighted Mk2 vw coilovers?
    I think others have started to use the caddy struts because they came in a kit with just the front. They have said the caddy struts work just fine. I am not sure if the valving is the same tho. It might be different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X