No announcement yet.

Quest for More Power and More Traction! BP+T + AWD Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWD proteges did come with B8's. If I had access to one of those I would pick one up. kinda slow but I could head swap and boost it later.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
      I believe the 4x4 Protege's came with BP's just like the LX's... because there's never been (to my knowledge) an AWD F-series transmission. Unless of course Mazda/Ford decided to slap a G-series onto an SOHC motor... which I've not heard of before.
      The AWD pro used the SOHC B8 in the AWD, mated to their G25MX-R
      No BP + AWD from the factory.
      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

What years were Proteges AWD? I never heard of this.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
          AWD proteges did come with B8's. If I had access to one of those I would pick one up. kinda slow but I could head swap and boost it later.
          Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
          The AWD pro used the SOHC B8 in the AWD, mated to their G25MX-R
          No BP + AWD from the factory.
          Wow... today I learned! Thanks guys. That seems crazy to me that they would opt to throw it together with a B8 motor rather than using the BP. I guess it was more of a "safe winter Protege" than a "performance sporty Protege" though, so that makes sense in context I guess.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

AWD proteges only existed from 90-91.
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
              Wow... today I learned! Thanks guys. That seems crazy to me that they would opt to throw it together with a B8 motor rather than using the BP. I guess it was more of a "safe winter Protege" than a "performance sporty Protege" though, so that makes sense in context I guess.
              Perhaps the BP was too close to their safety margin for the power levels on the G25MX-R?

Sorry for the threadjacking

Rocketchips!

Comment

Perhaps the BP was too close to their safety margin for the power levels on the G25MX-R?

Sorry for the threadjacking
                I dont think its an official "Thread Jack". Cuz we are talking AWD right ?

Thats one reason why I wouldnt want to put a lot of time into a high HP AWD Fazda. Plus you are gonna start grenading diffs real fast. The viscous diff is frt/rr,not LH/RH, if I'm correct. And if you break that diff,whats gonna be the plan? Low hp AWD Mazda is a good/safe thing IMO.
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-02-2011, 12:18 AM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

^^ Well yeah, it's a center diff. I'm not so sure it's that delicate though.

Maybe for the diff in the open diff trannies.

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
                    ^^ Well yeah, it's a center diff. I'm not so sure it's that delicate though.

Maybe for the diff in the open diff trannies.
                    Its a LSD Front/Rear, if my memory serves me. And its gonna blow. And its gonna be an exspensive Fwd.
                    Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-02-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                      Its a LSD Front/Rear, if my memory serves me. And its gonna blow. And its gonna be an exspensive Fwd.
                      No LSD on the 323 GTX or the Protege. The Pro AWD trans was very similar to that of the 323 GTX, with an open center diff that could be locked. It was not the BPT trans with the viscous, that was JDM only.

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by ford4life View Post
                        Buy it for him Amanda!
                        haha, I don't even have enough money to own a car! The life of a poor college student
                        Amazing Amanda

Comment

I have both the USDM awd trans and a JDM BPT trans with the LSD center diff.

The guy that had the protege before me had it in the 12's with a huge holset HY35 and drag raced it all of the time. The thing that kills the transmissions is instant torque to the driveline like with a smaller turbo or dumping the clutch. The added lag of a larger turbo adds some protection to the transmission. Also... if I blow up the trans I'll just do a toyota GT-4 trans swap. I'm already playing with the width of the car on this project... you'll see when I get to the front end...

Facebook Me!

Comment

The GT-4 uses a 3.909 rear then? I'll like seeing just how it does work with the cars width. Heck, just go get the GT-4 tranny to begin with. I wanna see that! :p

What size turbo are you thinkin of going with? Sure, a big turbo will give the tranny a bit of time to cope with the power gain, but wouldn't response be nicer in an AWD?

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
                              The GT-4 uses a 3.909 rear then?
                              Thats a good question. I just assumed he was just gonna adapt the Yoda driveshaft to fit the Fazda pumpkin. But ya just start with a Yoda tranny,that would be epic in itself.Then you can go NUTS with power!
                              Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-03-2011, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he will get the gtx tranny to work with the setup. He's been talking about this for a while now so when his plans are drawn out in his head he puts them to work hence the mad scientist lol.

On another note Aaron I think you should stick with a bp for the protege. When you too me for a spin it moved pretty well. I'm pretty sure with running ms2 on it must move better. Are you going to have to modify the front of the car for the gtx transmission?

Comment

Working...
                                X