No announcement yet.

Aspire BP swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original dull blue color was supposed to be Ford blue, but it was too dull for me. I'm not sure what color that is exactly, just the 500* high heat bright blue at autozone and advance.

It turned out really good for a rattle can job, I don't think I had any runs, rarely ever do with spray paint anymore, the problem now is I dont usually let it sit long enough to fully cure/harden, so I put a bolt in stuff and it chips the paint. We'll see how it stands the test of time, most of my paint jobs fail horribly, but I keep trying hoping someday it will turn out right.. I do a LOT of painting at work, on break from it right now actually, and it usually turns out good, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, maybe its the difference between rattle cans and oil base.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Something I'm curious about..

I've heard it said that the b series alternators are all the same size, and the size of the pulley is what determines the amperage, but the Fs series alternator I bought was advertised at 70 amps, even tho the bolt holes are the same distance apart, the fs alt is clearly bigger, and the v belt pulley is smaller than the 4 rib belt pulley I took off from my b3. Does this mean my old 60amp b3 alternator will be putting put less amps since the pulley is bigger? It will take more rotation of the crank to get one spin of the alternator.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I think the pulleys are all the same and it's the internals that determine the amperage

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

pulleys will not matter on amperage. other wise your amperage would either be to high at high rpm or to low at low rpm. it is the internals and the regulators in them that determine the amperage
          97 Montego Blue Miata
          03 GSXR 1000: power commander, full exhaust, k&n, tre
          04 Subaru WRX STi: accessport stg2, 3" turbo back, perrin intake
          SOLD: Turbo ls1 Focus, BP Festiva

Comment

I could be of some assistance with the megasquirt since I've had it on mine for 2 yrs and on my mustang for 5 yrs. But what do I know? I'm just a dumb redneck that drags his turbo all over the place. Good luck buddy
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by tls_zx3 View Post
              pulleys will not matter on amperage. other wise your amperage would either be to high at high rpm or to low at low rpm. it is the internals and the regulators in them that determine the amperage
              Yea good point, I hadn't thought about it like that.

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
              I could be of some assistance with the megasquirt since I've had it on mine for 2 yrs and on my mustang for 5 yrs. But what do I know? I'm just a dumb redneck that drags his turbo all over the place. Good luck buddy
              Haha, we all know who the dumb redneck here is... And I'll definately need some luck, so thanks!
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Fast dumb redneck
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

^.^

Is it bad that I can't wait to break my first tranny? It might take some torque to break mine tho. I wonder when the gearsets shatter/sheer off, or what the next weak link will be?
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Alright, so I think I've reached my first electrical issue. Right now I'm just going to run the stock injectors and everything stock just like I'm plugging into a 93 protege ecu, but I would like to use as much of the aspire harness as I can. It's pretty close to being the same, but stuff needs swapped and spliced.

What I'm looking at is the injector harness, the aspire and BP use different sockets, the plugs for vics and the egr on the far side of the manifold aren't the same, the injector sockets are, but the socket on the tranny side that plugs into the main harness is different.

What I'm thinking is I can unwrap both harnesses, compare, and splice/ repin the BP injector harness at the main harness to use the aspire socket. Then when the time comes to plug in the ecu I can repin the aspire socket for the BP ecu.

? Am I going about this the right way, I haven't done this before, so I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me here.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• The BP used batch fire in USDM models, California b6e models had sequential injection. 94-95 aspires used sequential injection according to the haynes manual page 12-23, and the 95 EVTM PG 23-3. What I need to do is repin the BP wires in the aspire socket so that the ground from the ecu for 1&3 matches with the ground wire for 1 on the aspire harness, 2&4 will go with the ground for 3 in the aspire harness.

Then match up the leads for the VICS, egr, temp sending unit, and the other sending unit I think is for the fan switch?
                      Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• *cracks knuckles*

I used almost none of the aspire harness when I did my numerous swaps. you would be better off gutting a protege engine harness and starting with that. The large plug controls the engine and the small plug controls starting, charging, external loads...etc. I had a spreadsheet from my swaps. interested in a copy of it?
                        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

• Most definately.

If it comes down to that I might have to buy a protege harness, I tried to twice from cp.com and the deal fell thru on their end both times. I don't have any proteges in any local yards that I know of to get parts from, if I did, I'd get the whole harness inside and out, ill still end up using the main branch comming from the ecu won't I?
                          Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• I got mine on cp.com. I'm having a member from there gut one for me for my carby festiva conversion to MS. pm me your email address and I'll send it to ya.

OR I can modify a harness for you for shipping and the cost of supplies + 1 meal if you find one for sale.
                            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

• matt_jr@rocketmail.com is my e-mail, let me try this first, its my first time, so you know I have to be hard headed and try it. I've cross referenced the ecu pinouts and have notes, its not too different from what I can tell, but the way the wires are ran under the hood is what I'm not sure of yet. The MAF vs VAF and subsequent deletion of it with megasquirt is a big concern, I don't know if wires need spliced to maintain a circuit or what. I'm really just trying to learn about these cars, hopefully I'll understand the how and why of it. At the end of the day tho, I know you know, and I will probably end up doing what you suggest after I fail.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• Not to thread jack, but do you know of anybody over there selling a bp harness and ecu? I need one if the price is right
                                89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                                92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                                New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                                X