Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
    Finally some good news.... we have spark. Not sure what I did but apparently unplugging stuff then plugging it back in works wonders. Still not starting so we're thinking the injectors might be really dirty and not opening... they have been sitting for four or more years. Going to pull the injectors now, give them a good clean and then see what happens. Hopefully we'll be making noise very soon.

Ian
    If you only had one stuck injector you could just tap on it while cranking. Sometimes it just needs a little convincing. Remember, back flush those injectors first. Getting the junk out of those basket filters is the key

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Actually the key is for a new motor or any motor that has been sitting..have the injectors cleaned and flow tested and new kits put on. You have gone to all of the trouble on all of the other stuff but you have left the injectors untouched. Hand on forehead.

Comment

• Injectors are out and going to be cleaned this evening. I did have new seals on them but I think I forgot one of the spacers. Not too happy with myself at the moment.

Ian
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Make sure all those plugs you unplugged and plugged back in are free of corrosion, the terminals are all tight and there are no broken wires. No spark and then randomly getting spark can come back to bight you when it's most inconvenient.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-02-2016, 08:38 PM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Well... good news and bad news.

The good news: after cleaning the injectors are reinstalling them with the spacer I missed the first time the car started right up and runs fairly well so far. No leaks that I can see, pulling good vacuum, idled right down once it warmed up.

The bad news: my clutch won't disengage. I've adjusted it as much as I can to no avail. I may just have to drop the transmission and see what I did wrong. I'm 99% sure that I had the disc in the right way and the flywheel had been resurfaced.

Other little things to work out: tach isn't working and I must have unplugged the daytime running light relay when I was working on the wiring the other day.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have been incredibly generous with their time and been so willing to share their expertise. Charlie (advancedynamix), Rob (shadetree), Clay (azgtx) and Julian (festyfreak39) come to mind right away. There are many more as well who have made suggestions, provided parts, bought parts and have offered encouragement. I can't say thank you enough to everyone for the support... this is an awesome community and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Hopefully I will have the car on the road sooner that later.

Ian
            Last edited by fastivaca; 05-03-2016, 12:13 AM.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• Your using a spec stage 2, correct?

They are nearly impossible to drive for the first 500 miles. You'll need to take ALL the slack out of your cable. Maybe even adjust the cable so it's actually disengaging the clutch a bit. It will be almost impossible to shift for at least 500 miles. After that it'll get easier and easier to shift. I hope yours works better than the one I have in Pedro. My clutch chatters on downshifts and sometimes on take off. Very poorly engineered part.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Your using a spec stage 2, correct?

They are nearly impossible to drive for the first 500 miles. You'll need to take ALL the slack out of your cable. Maybe even adjust the cable so it's actually disengaging the clutch a bit. It will be almost impossible to shift for at least 500 miles. After that it'll get easier and easier to shift. I hope yours works better than the one I have in Pedro. My clutch chatters on downshifts and sometimes on take off. Very poorly engineered part.
                Yes it is the Spec stage 2 clutch and I'm beginning to think it was not a good choice. I may just bite the bullet and put an Exedy one in right away as I'm not the only one that will be driving the car.

Ian
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• That's probably a good plan. Or maybe an Exedy disc and the Spec pressure plate. That's what I'm going to try when I get time to tear Pedro back apart.

Comment

• I would like to add my 2 cents, I did the B6D swap with the intentions of doing a rear mount turbo so I also bought the Speck stage 2 kit, it lasted about 500 miles and had to be replaced, so I did what Charlie suggested, I used the Speck pressure plate and bought a new disc from Kentucky clutch with the stipulation that it would hold 125 hp, the fella said no problem, so I bought their disc and am quite happy with it, I do not have the turbo mounted yet so I can't say if it would hold up to the B6T but regardless I will not own another Speck product. I did follow Rob's suggestion about using stock Exedy clutch kits and have had great success.

Last edited by sc72; 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM.
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

• Well, transmission is coming out and clutch disc being replaced with an Exedy version. Hoping to have that done tonight. Off to the garage for me now........

Ian
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Good luck.
                        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                          Good luck.
                          Thanks
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Transmission out, Spec disc out, Exedy disc on. Measured the thickness of the two discs and discovered that the Spec disc was about 1/8" thicker than the Exedy! Going to grab a drink then get the transmission bolted back up to the engine.

With Spec disc in the inside ends of the release levers, or forks, or whatever they're called, were almost 1/2" closer to the disc!

Looking forward to getting this back together and driving it.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                              Transmission out, Spec disc out, Exedy disc on. Measured the thickness of the two discs and discovered that the Spec disc was about 1/8" thicker than the Exedy! Going to grab a drink then get the transmission bolted back up to the engine.

With Spec disc in the inside ends of the release levers, or forks, or whatever they're called, were almost 1/2" closer to the disc!

Looking forward to getting this back together and driving it.
                              Go ian go

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Transmission all bolted up, crossmember back in, mounts all tight. That's all for tonight; I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow!

...and the only fluid I had to drain was the transmission!
                                Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X