Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding my little freakout there, I will order bearings, quantity 2 Timkens from Rockauto, that way no matter what is a "SET" I will get all I need, IF I replace any bearings, it will probably just be the outers due to lack of shop time, I will probably replace the rear brake shoes while I'm in there unfreezing the ebrake pivots. The FSM doesn't say I need to remove any bearings to do the brakes, but the Haynes says I do, I will err on the safe side.
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

• All you have to do is remove the nut/cotter pin and just slide the drum off with the bearings in it. A tip, I use both thumbs against the washer as I pull it off as to not drop the outter bearing and washer strait to the ground. If there quiet, I would just plan on buying new inner seals and cleaning the old grease out of the bearing and repacking with clean new bearing grease, only if the grease looks broke down. If you can tell what color the grease was when first used, it probably still ok.
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

• Dont panic dude its fairly easy

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
        Regarding my little freakout there, I will order bearings, quantity 2 Timkens from Rockauto, that way no matter what is a "SET" I will get all I need, IF I replace any bearings, it will probably just be the outers due to lack of shop time, I will probably replace the rear brake shoes while I'm in there unfreezing the ebrake pivots. The FSM doesn't say I need to remove any bearings to do the brakes, but the Haynes says I do, I will err on the safe side.
        Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
        ^^ I'm now thoroughly confuzzled, for doing my rear brakes is it necessary that I do the bearings, they do not make any noise, also It appears that I have to take the outer bearing off to take off the drum off to check brakes, if someone could just PM me a rundown on what is necessary to do to get inside the drum and free up the ebrake and probs replace shoes that'd be sweet, also if someone could gimme a link to the parts that I'll need, on Rockauto it's not clear if the Timken bearing is both inner and outer, or just outer or has a seal or if I need the seal,
        Wow that was a lot, thanks heaps
        Kellen
        I take it your a High School student. Have someone help you, its easy to do these rear brakes.
        No, you don't have to replace the bearings.But you should repack them with fresh grease. But if you ordered new, thats even better.
        The most important thing to remember is that one of the nuts on the spindles is REVERSED THREADS!And only do one side at a time. Then you can use the other side for a Chinese Blueprint. Make sure your helper knows this in advance.
        As far as "Freeing Up" the E-Brake cable so it works like "NEW" again? That can prove a little more difficult. But you should be able to get it free enough so it doesn't bind. Just don't adjust the adjuster so tight.That when you pull e-brake handle.It becomes so tight you risk breaking rusty cable or pulling cable right through the swagged fittings.
        Last edited by nitrofarm; 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• I worked on cream puff a little more to get her ready to deliver. Changed the oil, spark plugs. Installed rear festiva struts and springs (had aspire struts with front festiva springs cut by 2 coils to clear the 15"s), installed a 3 outlet 12 volt supply in the upper console cubby, reattached the door panel skin to the card on the lower rear corner, striped the rear bumper.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Ready for deliver Paul?
            -Josh R

Comment

• Almost. Stopping in to Joseph's. He's going to tap and helicoil the block where the ac bracket mounts, and do an inner tie rod. I'm meeting him at Danny's, I have wheels for Danny and Joseph has a VERY special car for Danny! Then I give Joseph a ride back to his place. It's going to be a FUN weekend!!!!
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• So you're not dropping the car off somewhere? haha I think I'm confused
                -Josh R

Comment

• I take it your a High School student. Have someone help you, its easy to do these rear brakes.
                  No, you don't have to replace the bearings.But you should repack them with fresh grease. But if you ordered new, thats even better.
                  The most important thing to remember is that one of the nuts on the spindles is REVERSED THREADS!And only do one side at a time. Then you can use the other side for a Chinese Blueprint. Make sure your helper knows this in advance.
                  As far as "Freeing Up" the E-Brake cable so it works like "NEW" again? That can prove a little more difficult. But you should be able to get it free enough so it doesn't bind. Just don't adjust the adjuster so tight.That when you pull e-brake handle.It becomes so tight you risk breaking rusty cable or pulling cable right through the swagged fittings.
                  Yup, ordered Quantity 2 of the Timken's on Rock auto along with the Raybestos shoes on closeout, Yes I'm a highschool student, The school auto shop is excellent and the teacher and other students are very helpful, The PO said he did the rear bearings recently, and that was last spring so they're probably good after seeing how this guy treated the car. I saw more information than my brain was able to handle at the time, shortly after a nice AP US History essay, hence the freakin' I figure y'all on this forum are helpful enough if I bollocks something up.
                  Thanks Heaps,
                  Kellen
                  Owner of:
                  1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                  In progress:
                  BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

• Got exhaust put on jr. Found out I made 22k more than last year. Almost cleared 60k. Not bad for a diesel tech 3 years out of school.
                    Ford Fester

Comment

• Originally posted by 91blufestiva View Post
                      So you're not dropping the car off somewhere? haha I think I'm confused
                      Sorry, I should have finished out the plans. After Joseph ties up those things I will deliver it to my friend Rick in Fayetteville tn.
                      Then he will drive me back home in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ford Fester View Post
                        Got exhaust put on jr. Found out I made 22k more than last year. Almost cleared 60k. Not bad for a diesel tech 3 years out of school.
                        Nice!

Comment

• Last day of my paper route!!
                          Buck.
                          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

• I put a new seat in the driver side. Got the exhaust right.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

• Yesterday I drove Danny's car around town, then home to my house. She likes it here, she said she wants to stay with me
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

• :nono:
                                Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Working...
                                X