Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you do not do this regularly check for loose air intake connections, make sure the gate in the air flow sensor is not sticky at the wide open throttle position and check electrical connection on it as well.

The motor will flex the mounts enough to pull on hoses and connections a little on a hard pull.
    Assuming you have EFI
    If carbed check for worn throttle body shafts..wiggling should make idle go up and down.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

• Stock 0-60 on a manual Trans festy is about 10.5.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
        Stock 0-60 on a manual Trans festy is about 10.5.
        I am really down on power then, unless my shifting is really THAT bad.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start?

I have already given it a full tune-up, has a bigger exhaust (not my doing), changed the coolant sensor, and going to swap the Bosche o2 Sensor for a Denso once it is delivered. (Really pungent exhaust smell, like water your eyes bad, and it is not sulfur/rotten egg smell.)
        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• Probably should start a thread in the repair help..

It will not idle well at all if the vane or gate is stuck wide open. Sounded kind of like a race cam but did not hinder power that much. With your additional symptoms you might bang on the cat and see if it rattles, you may have varying exhaust restriction and no cat action.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Stock 0-60 on a manual Trans festy is about 10.5.
            10.5?

Ouch!, TorqueEffect's 16 seconds has gotta hurt! :cry_smile:

I'd never push my Festy even to a 16 second quarter mile; danged thing might break!....

So, Torque, even at 16 seconds, you got me beat! :highly_amused:
            Last edited by Twistiva; 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM.
            88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
            88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
            91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
            93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• Not much.

Shot BraveKozak a PM asking about swapping standard factory mirror glass and buying some parts from overseas.

Spent most of my day going back to work after a nice Christmas break and then working on my home.
              88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
              88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
              91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
              93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• Sorry everyone, I shouldn't be using this thread for asking questions.

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                It will not idle well at all if the vane or gate is stuck wide open. Sounded kind of like a race cam but did not hinder power that much. With your additional symptoms you might bang on the cat and see if it rattles, you may have varying exhaust restriction and no cat action.
                The engine is Fuel injected btw, but according to the last owner it was out of an 89, so either it had a EFI conversion, or he was lying.

But I just went out and smacked the bottom of the cat, though I did it with the car still on the ground with a walking stick, no rattle that I could hear. I will get under there tomorrow with a mallet and give it a better whack.
                If worse comes to worse and the cat is bad, I can always scrap it and install a straight-pipe, I could always use the money if it is worth anything. :p

Not sure if it helps but when idling it kinda sounds like a tractor, not sure if that is normal or not, I know allot of these 4 bangers sound like that. Also sometimes the engine idling will make the steering wheel shake even when idling at the proper rpms.
                It does have a lifter tick that only happens when the engine is really cold, but goes away within a minute of running.
                Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• I installed my new rear view mirror i got for x-mas

before..

after...
                  Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                  Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                  Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                  WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

• I also installed my aspire rear emegency brake cable...

Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                    Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                    WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

• Re: What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                      The engine is Fuel injected btw, but according to the last owner it was out of an 89, so either it had a EFI conversion, or he was lying.
                      '89 autos were EFI.
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

• I'm betting with your shaking and 0-60 time you are running on 3 cylinders.
                        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I'm betting with your shaking and 0-60 time you are running on 3 cylinders.
                          I will pull the plug wires and see if anything changes.

But I just got back from doing two more 0-60 runs, and both were about 13 seconds, and I am sure if I revved it to 6k through all the gears it would have done even better.

Also both runs the engine stalled after I pushed in the clutch to brake, so I need to go check the air flow sensor gate and IAC valve.

Comment

• Checked the airflow sensor gate, moves freely and doesn't stick at all.

One of the 4 bolts that hold the sensor onto the top airbox piece snapped off. Oh well, 3 out of the 4 bolts are on there so it's not going to hurt.

Comment

• got a brand new tie rod end passenger side outer but there is a screw thing that came with it that looks like a brake bleeder screw, but redrum will be happy with me and lets hope that i can do over 55 with out all the shaking
                              '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
                              L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
                              Renaissance W. R.

Comment

• Many tierod ends (Though not the new ones I bought on my festiva) come with a nipple for greasing! You will just need to remind the people doing your oil change (If you pay someone to do it) that your car is no longer a "sealed chassis"

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                                1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                                1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                                1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                                1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                                1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                                1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X