Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
    I bought the car from a Tow company that kept the car because the owner couldn't pay the tow fees from when it broke down. There was check stubs for 2 different guys in the glove box but I feel kinda bad that they lost their car... The tag was still on it and everything, I even found a Galaxy S3 in the passenger seat.
    Man that would suck.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Shin Hayata View Post
      The sound is just ok. The head unit is the factory original AM radio. Said differently, the speakers can only process the quality of the signal that they receive. It seems that I'm only able to receive talk radio, so when I'm not shifting, I'm shaking my fist. ha

I'd like to keep the car stock in appearance and function; that's my "build". My sole concession to modernity is a USB charging plug.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20402[/ATTACH]
      Shin, I recommend you install infinity kappa reference 4" speakers. The improvement in sound quality is fantastic and they fit behind the grills with no modifications. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll post a pic.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Festiver View Post
        always be living the poke life lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        love those wheels
        Jack Byrd,
        1991 Capri
        1988 Festiva LX, 240K
        1970 Chev C10
        1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• Originally posted by greywolf200 View Post
          love those wheels
          Lol thanks they're xxr 537s chromium black little embarrassing having ebay wheels but oh well lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
          Festiver
          93 L find/5 speed
          BP/g15mr swapped
          Aspire brake swapped
          Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
          stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
          rustful
          maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
          advanced suspension
          kai/skeeter camber
          b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

• What I will be doing to the Festiva, soon, is installing a new alternator. I was returning home from an errand this morning when, whilst waiting at a red light, I heard the siren song of dry/failed bearings. I knew instantly what it was; a quick under-hood exam when I returned home confirmed that the 29 year old original alternator had reached end-of-life status. It still works to charge the battery and power the lights, etc., but it has begun it's shuffle off this mortal coil.

The replacement Remy is already on order from Amazon. The lowest price by far, no core charge, free shipping. Might have to wait a bit longer than if I had sourced a unit through AutoZone, etc., but the savings was too great to trade it for the convenience of abbreviated transit time. Having a truck and two motorcycles in the inventory makes things easier, too.

This is one of the few things about front-drive cars that bothers me: the always-low, transverse placement of alternators and air conditioning compressors. R&R alternators on rear-drive vehicles is dead simple and dead fast.

Ah well. FWIW, I like having an older car to fiddle with. There's a real sense of accomplishment when we can use our skill with tools (and language, ha) to bring something back to life.

Comment

What I will be doing to the Festiva, soon, is installing a new alternator. I was returning home from an errand this morning when, whilst waiting at a red light, I heard the siren song of dry/failed bearings. I knew instantly what it was; a quick under-hood exam when I returned home confirmed that the 29 year old original alternator had reached end-of-life status. It still works to charge the battery and power the lights, etc., but it has begun it's shuffle off this mortal coil.

The replacement Remy is already on order from Amazon. The lowest price by far, no core charge, free shipping. Might have to wait a bit longer than if I had sourced a unit through AutoZone, etc., but the savings was too great to trade it for the convenience of abbreviated transit time. Having a truck and two motorcycles in the inventory makes things easier, too.

This is one of the few things about front-drive cars that bothers me: the always-low, transverse placement of alternators and air conditioning compressors. R&R alternators on rear-drive vehicles is dead simple and dead fast.

Ah well. FWIW, I like having an older car to fiddle with. There's a real sense of accomplishment when we can use our skill with tools (and language, ha) to bring something back to life.
              You know what brings an even better sense of accomplishment? Just replacing the bearing in the alt and not the whole thing

Comment

• A fair point, ryan.

With no disrespect intended, sometimes piecemeal parts replacement can be false economy. The alternator is 29 years old. The bearing that I replace might be new, but nothing else would be. Replacing the alternator with a new unit buys peace of mind. There's no discernible labor savings; the alternator would have to be removed either way.

We pays our money and we makes our choice. :thumbup:

Comment

A fair point, ryan.

With no disrespect intended, sometimes piecemeal parts replacement can be false economy. The alternator is 29 years old. The bearing that I replace might be new, but nothing else would be. Replacing the alternator with a new unit buys peace of mind. There's no discernible labor savings; the alternator would have to be removed either way.

We pays our money and we makes our choice. [emoji106]
                  I probably wouldnt replace a bearing myself, but stuff like that is nice to do. However, working in a mechanic and then an autobody shop for years i have installed many aftermarket and rebuilt alternators. Most look like garbage compared to oem if you look inside. I have taken apart or used picks to try and put back parts that have come loose just during shipping on 'new' alternators. Had a number of comebacks of failed alternators within a week of installation. Worst was a rebuilt alt on an 05 civic. Customer lived like 600km away and couldnt wait for another alternator so we took the rebuilt one apart and tried to put things where we thought they were supposed to go ( stuff had fallen apart inside during shipping or it just hadnt been assembled at all in the first place) and put it in the car. It died 10km from their house. I was suprised it made the 590km or whatever.
                  Anyway all that to say that you should inspect the alt you get carefully before installing, do anything you need to for warrenty, and i would use another used festiva alternator from a junkyard before buying a rebuilt.

Comment

• I've replaced several OEM alternators with units that were sold as "new/remanufactured". All performed flawlessly.

The Remy-branded alternator that I purchased for the Festiva is actually a refurbished OEM Mitsubishi unit that is compatible with the Festiva. So I have confidence that it will be a suitable and functional replacement. I'll definitely inspect it prior to installation, as you suggest.

The thought did cross my mind to use an alternator from a junkyard car. I decided against doing so. Long story short: Buying New also buys a replacement guarantee. I've confirmed that parts sourced via local pull-a-part yards have no return privileges, and this assumes I could find a junked Festiva with an alternator that doesn't look long in the tooth. No thanks.

Comment

I've replaced several OEM alternators with units that were sold as "new/remanufactured". All performed flawlessly.

The Remy-branded alternator that I purchased for the Festiva is actually a refurbished OEM Mitsubishi unit that is compatible with the Festiva. So I have confidence that it will be a suitable and functional replacement. I'll definitely inspect it prior to installation, as you suggest.

The thought did cross my mind to use an alternator from a junkyard car. I decided against doing so. Long story short: Buying New also buys a replacement guarantee. I've confirmed that parts sourced via local pull-a-part yards have no return privileges, and this assumes I could find a junked Festiva with an alternator that doesn't look long in the tooth. No thanks.
                      Good

Comment

• Haven't done anything. Last time I tried to fire it up, it spit and sputtered like Speedbuggy and sounded like it was going too backfire.
                        It barely stayed running at idle, revved fine but as soon as I would let the clutch out, it would die no matter how much throttle I gave it.

Then I accidently left the hood up overnight on the ONE warm day and it rained all over the engine.

So I can't do any diagnosis until everything thaws and dries out.
                        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• Tomorrow, I'll own the car one month. In that time, I've done a few things.

Engine oil and filter
                          Transmission fluid drain and fill (fresh Dex/Merc)
                          Coolant drain and refill
                          Repaired non-functioning windscreen washer system
                          New windscreen wipers
                          New PCV valve and grommet
                          NOS Mazda dome lamp
                          New clutch & brake pedal pads
                          Owner's Manual sourced via the bay
                          New 155/80-R12 tires
                          New spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil
                          New fuel filter
                          NOS Kia mud flaps
                          DashMat
                          New 9004 bulbs
                          New Sony AM/FM/CD/USB head unit and dash speakers
                          New (remanufactured) alternator

There's a few other minor bits and bobs on the car. And there's a parts box on the shelf with new LCAs, etc. for when I get around to those things.

-SH

Comment

Tomorrow, I'll own the car one month. In that time, I've done a few things.

Engine oil and filter
                            Transmission fluid drain and fill (fresh Dex/Merc)
                            Coolant drain and refill
                            Repaired non-functioning windscreen washer system
                            New windscreen wipers
                            New PCV valve and grommet
                            NOS Mazda dome lamp
                            New clutch & brake pedal pads
                            Owner's Manual sourced via the bay
                            New 155/80-R12 tires
                            New spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil
                            New fuel filter
                            NOS Kia mud flaps
                            DashMat
                            New 9004 bulbs
                            New Sony AM/FM/CD/USB head unit and dash speakers
                            New (remanufactured) alternator

There's a few other minor bits and bobs on the car. And there's a parts box on the shelf with new LCAs, etc. for when I get around to those things.

-SH
                            Sweet. Whats a dashmat? And hows that alternater working out?

Comment

• I walked past mine today a few times today... my pants may have brushed some of the dust off of it lol...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                                Whats a dashmat? And hows that alternater working out?
                                DashMat: http://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers

The alternator functions correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X