Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tested almost every grease available in the market.
    Esso Unirex EP-2 is the best.

Unirex EP-1 for those in Alaska.

Comment

• Cleaning up steering knuckle to paint.

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
      What did you clean these up with? I bead blasted a set once and then painted them but it took a decent amount of time because I'm only running a 20Gal 1.8HP compressor that can't keep up.
      [IMG]

This is my favorite tool when it's time to clean up metal part in preparation for painting:
      [/IMG]

Here is how I prepare the steering knuckles for painting.

1. Use old crumpled newspaper to wipe off any gooey grease (or old rags that you can throw away).
      2. Separate hub from the knuckle (I use FestYboy's method) remove the bearings from the hub, remove the old disc rotor and remove the backing plate from the knuckle
      3. Use an old stiff paint (or other disposable brush) to brush off as much of the caked on mixture of dirt and grease as possible.
      4. Use the wire wheel to remove the remaining crud from the parts. Don't do it on a work bench.. I take mine outside on the driveway and put it on a piece of thick foam padding to prevent it from walking away. Wear a mask and safety goggles because there will be a lot of fine black dust that you dont want to breathe and you also don't want to get any pieces of wire that might come off the wheel in your eyes. I also clean the rotor and strut bolts with the wire wheel. (If you do this inside that black dust will get on every surface around).
      5. For the places that I can't get to with the big wheel I use pencil wire brushes (buy these cheap from China on ebay) in my dremmel tool.
      6. When all part are wire brushed, I wipe down with acetone soaked rags (be sure to wear rubber gloves or the skin on your hands will dry up and flake off). Do this outside also.. unless you want to get high on the acetone fumes.
      7. Then I stuff the center with newspaper, tape off the parts I don't want to paint, hang the parts on a low dogwood tree branch and spray on a couple coats of matte black rustoleum paint and then the next day a couple of coats of black appliance epoxy paint. Then the next day I put everything back together. (I bring the parts back inside the garage and hang them there to dry between coats)
      Last edited by 1990new; 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• i swapped on a new head, replaced the head gasket, intake gasket, some bad wiring and re-timed the car and drove it a test mile
        1988 White 4 speed Festiva (L)
        1988 Black 5 speed Festiva (LX)

ALSO
        2005, 2007 Lancer ES
        2004 Lancer Ralliart
        1981 F-150 351m

Comment

• Actually did the work for festy#2. Drivers side lights, rebuilt master cylinder, put brake line on, put throttle cable on. Did some sick burnouts. Now looking to get the fender and all on, saw wheel bearings loose so that's on the list.

Is it the Kia Rio power steering rack I need to get? Drain and cap it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car #789
          Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
          1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
          1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
          http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

• Originally posted by WTFestiva View Post
            Is it the Kia Rio power steering rack I need to get? Drain and cap it?
            Yup, Longer throw AND quicker ratio all in one!
            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
            Feel free to PM me anytime!
            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

• More work.
              Put door on. Fixed accessory belt. Bled the brakes. Fixed the dash. Drove it around without the windshield and fender with the hatch flying open. Found some cones too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car #789
              Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
              1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
              1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
              http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

• Today... I swapped in a new stereo, fixed some mice munched wiring, and ordered new headlight bulbs... first day of restoration! Far to go!
                '93 5spd Kia/mazda festiva L original stock daily summer driver, restoring ^_^

Comment

• I hate munching mice!

I put my R/H reinforcement on yesterday.
                  Today, I tried to fit the L/H reinforcement over the power antenna motor.

No way.
                  Time to PM Hot_Wheels.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Changed plugs wires and distributor also plugs running white so hot I think it's too lean. I'm assuming it's the exhaust or a sensor b3 efi

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Comment

• re-installed the original molding after horrible fit of kia pride moldings (see earlier post). cleaned and scuffed the old dull mold pieces and shot with SEM Trim Black. this is near perfect match to OEM shine. installed refinished wiper arms with blade tip 1" above cowl mold as per factory spec. next step - 1st PA state inspection.

Comment

• What I did today...

Cleaned off all the old grease from everything and put all new bearings and seals in my "drag racing" Aspire rear end that will soon be going on RED, my BP Festiva drag racer.

Also marked on the wheel drum in permanent ink which way to turn the nut to loosen it -- no more stripped threads for me!

Comment

• Modestly, al I can say I did was clean out all the parts/tools/garbage that was in Silver Bullet for 8 years so I can vacuum all the mouse turds/nests from the crevices. Tomorrow, I shall install the new fuel tank, throw the carpet and padding in, and start on re-installing the dashboard. Well...if the weather holds out. I do not have a garage to work in, so I am at the mercy of weather.
                          http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                          88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                          88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                          06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

• I started sanding my Spoiler for paint this weekend. I would have just scuffed it and repainted it but someone put some stripes on it and they left a ton of glue so I decided to go ahead and sand it all down.
                            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                            sigpic
                            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Car wash, oil change and replaced the 25 year old turbo oil drain hose with a brand new one directly from Mazda! The old one was rock hard and a piece had already broken off... fortunately right at one end past the clamp so it wasn't leaking... yet!
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Last month I bought 3 for $800 with one of them being a daily driver, auto, with all new cold ac. One of the parts cars had a label in the door jam saying it was equipped with a special trim option by InterTech. I'm not sure what was special about it: it did have a spoiler and white aluminum wheels. An acquaintance of mine had his rear end fall out on him after spending about $800 on the car. I've now purchased that one from him for $100 and have started stripping it down to the shell for parts and the drive train that I will use to make whole one of the other parts cars I got that some how or another has managed to stay rust free.
                                IMG_20170627_101314735.jpg
                                IMG_20170629_225301818.jpg
                                IMG_20170627_172955965.jpg
                                Last edited by cahman8; 06-29-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X