Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car wash and parked next to my aspire. Waiting on all my parts to come in from Amazon so I can build my 8 gauge glove box cluster.

Comment

• Yesterday , I got my reman. Aspire steering rack & festy tie rods installed.
      No more sloppy , wandering steering.

Got the rack from Detroit Axle, $149.00, no core, free shipping.
      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

• Removed the B6 crank pulley, then installed the B3 small nose pulley, with a/c pulley to the B6. Then measured for a belt. Seems like the Aspire with factory installed a/c with no power steering comes up with a 34.5" belt, which comes very close to my measurement.

Will buy the belt tomorrow when I am at work.

Also my accumulator came today, it is a perfect fit. Yahoo!!!!! only cost me $50 though. But for a hard to find part, I am not complaining..... Much...
        Yes I know you can't leave them open to the air, I only removed the caps long enough to test fit.

My Envirosafe charge kit will be delivered by fedex tomorrow. Once I take a wire wheel to the pulleys to get rid of the rust, and get everything back together, it will be time to charge up the system. (Cool thing about envirosafe, you don't need to pull any vacuum) The refrigerant mixture doesn't react badly to moisture at all, unlike R12 and R134a.

Also I am gonna hit the condenser with a can of black paint before I put it back in the car.
        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 07-17-2014, 07:19 PM.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• Yes, but how good will it cool? I know a woman who cannot seem to have it ever cold enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
            Yesterday , I got my reman. Aspire steering rack & festy tie rods installed.
            No more sloppy , wandering steering.
            Your going to love the way it handles.
            After you replace the rack and get it aligned!
            Had a bad inner tie rod on mine and was way out of alignment.
            Fixed that and it is so much easier to drive.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• Check out this video before you decide not to put a vaccum on the system before charging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfCZGsD7U7k

Comment

• Always always ALWAYS vacuum your A/C prior to charging!
                Use a good pump to get it down to 25-30 inches of mercury and let it run for awhile. Close all valves and shut off the pump. If the vacuum holds steady and does not drop for at least one hour, your system is sealed. If the vacuum drops, your system leaks.
                If no leaks are present- keep the system under vacuum then hook up the refrigerant cans to charge. Put the cans in hot water to help the fluid flow as they will get ice cold once opened.

If you don't vacuum, you could waste refrigerant to discover any leaks. Also your system will be full of moisture from the humidity in the air and possibly some foreign contaminants.

I installed a dealer A/C setup on my car last year and flushed all lines, replaced the drier, new O rings at every fitting. Vacuumed it down to about 28 inches then charged with 134a.
                I got vents temps of 50 degrees AT IDLE on a 100+ degree day in direct sunlight. I was impressed and very satisfied.

EDIT NOTE:
                Use something that will evaporate clean to flush out the lines. Brake parts cleaner works great. Or a cheaper option is isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
                Last edited by Oren09; 07-17-2014, 09:07 PM.
                ~Austin
                Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• The enviro-safe stuff says NOT TO PULL A VACUUM with this refrigerant.

1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                  2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                  1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• Personally, I would just do a 134a conversion. I'm always apprehensive about stop leak in any system. I wonder how well that stuff will work because high side pressures can be as high as 180PSI.
                    ~Austin
                    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                      The enviro-safe stuff says NOT TO PULL A VACUUM with this refrigerant.

http://www.es-refrigerants.com/docs/31172_310.pdf

What it actually says is "Do not charge into a vacuum state", which is different from pulling a vacuum on the system in the first place to rid the system of moisture and test for leaks.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• Picked up a power steering pressure tester today. $40
                        I will measure and post results in my power steering thread.
                        No response from Ford yet as to what the spec should be.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 07-18-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• ordered 62 line items from rock auto for my brothers festiva on sunday, got all but one package so far (will be here monday) and then i can re do all the suspension and brakes. Not going to do the aspire swap on this one just yet, going to keep it all festiva as it is a really quite nice example. looking for 12 inch tires..... a disheartening subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by villageidiot View Post
                            ordered 62 line items from rock auto for my brothers festiva on sunday, got all but one package so far (will be here monday) and then i can re do all the suspension and brakes. Not going to do the aspire swap on this one just yet, going to keep it all festiva as it is a really quite nice example. looking for 12 inch tires..... a disheartening subject.
                            Over the years I have bought 3 sets of these and have had great luck with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                              Over the years I have bought 3 sets of these and have had great luck with them.
                              http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...Yokohama&tab=B
                              saw those, but i wanna keep a taller tire. the 165/70 is 3% smaller, i think ive found some maxxis at $50 each.

Comment

• Just bought an mfactory lsd... $750... ... ... ouch.

Car #789
                                Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
                                1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
                                1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
                                http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Working...
                                X