No announcement yet.

Rosie - My 1992 Gl Automatic 2016 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will get all those new seals ryan. Will leave the trans on the trailer and drive up to the self service car wash to clean it up (after protecting the shaft and oil cavity holes). The fluid I drained out was dirty .. probably wasn't change for 200,000 miles and believe it or not the clutch is the original. I will be putting in new CV shafts.. a shame because I had just bough a new left automatic shaft.

I finished pulling everything this morning (dropped the engine on a padding of 2 wheels a large aluminum ac consenser with cardboard on top of that). It dropped about a foot with no damage.

Here are pictures of all the parts that I pulled for the conversion and a few extra. Just remembered that I didn't get the flywheel cover piece that goes between the engine and transmission.. I'll go back and get that on Monday.
    [IMG] [/IMG]
    That rebuilt alternator and the belt were practically new.

This is a link to picture of the car that I pulled this from.. Most everything else is still on the car.
    http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/19...Car%20Crushing
    Last edited by 1990new; 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Got Rosie's new 5 speed cleaned up today.
      Hauled it up to the car wash first and spent 15 minutes spraying it with tire cleaner solution and then soapy water. this got
      most of the grease off. Then I brought it home, took off the mounts and finished the job with mineral spirits, brake cleaner, brushes and rags.

Compare it to the pictures in the previous post.
      [IMG] [/IMG]
      Last edited by 1990new; 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• No rain until about 7 tonight and a little cooler today so I did a little work outside to prepare to attach the 5 speed to Rosie's engine.

When it put the manual trans separation plate on the engine I discovered that the holes didn't line up to the transmission braces on the engine. I didn't realize that I needed to change the transmission support braces that bolt to the sides of the engine.
        That is one thing that I had not pulled from the 93 a the junk yard. So tomorrow I will make one more
        trip to the scene of the dismemberment and pull those two braces off the engine.

Comment

• Yesterday I finished getting the manual pedal assembly ready and it is now installed in Rosie along with the manual shift assembly.
          Also replaced the blower motor resistor. Blower was only working on high and low speeds.

Comment

• Great News... Good 5 Speed in Rosie

The bushings and oil seal for the clutch arm arrived in my FourGreen order yesterday and now the transmission and engine are back in Rosie.
            The 5 speed transmission is perfect. I drove her around the neighborhood at speeds up to 35 and all gears shift smoothly.

One bit of bad news, the heater motor resistor that I installed is apparently no good because now none of the heater speeds work...but luckily I ordered two new resistors in my FourGreen order. They are a pain to change but I'll get one of the new ones in and hopefully all motor speeds will work.

The only wiring change that I did for the switch from the manual transmission:
            Removed the automatic rear engine harness and put in a manual harness.
            Made a little two wire connector with one male and one female connector on one end of the wires and a two wire female connector on the other. I plugged the two wire connector into the bottom clutch switch.
            Connected the BLK/R wire from the ignition to one of the single wire and the other connected to the Blk/Blu wire that goes thru the main harness to a two wire connector behind the left headlight. I reversed the wires in that connector (One is Blk/Red the other is Blk/Blu) so that the Blk/Blu wire will connect to the Blk/Red wire going to the starter solenoid. The Blk/Red wire going from under the dash thru the main harness was left unconnected under the dash. I left the Park/Neutral switch wire that comes out of the back of the transmission near the shift linkage unconnected.
            Now I have a Clutch safety switch but no Park/Neutral switch...which is not a problem.
            The switch at the top of the clutch is screwed in so that I can adjust the pedal lower but it is not connected.
            I also disabled the auto trans ignition lockout mechanism at the ignition switch.

Tomorrow I'm going to take her for a drive up the interstate and see how she does at higher speeds.

Still have to do a few more things before I can call this project finished.
            Have to strip the covers off the drivers seat and wash them, clean up the frame and paint it.
            Install the under front seat courtesy lights.
            Change the Instrument panel to see if that fixes the speedometer.. the cable seems fine and the transmission gear works fine.

Install the AC. My brand new compressor for her arrived Friday and all the other components are cleaned, flushed and ready to go.

I will also need to get her aligned before I drive her to Raleigh for Madness.

Eventually I hope to find new hinges and handle that will fit the sunroof so I can open it.

So happy to not have an Automatic Transmission in her. If anybody needs all the components to convert to an automatic, I have them.
            Last edited by 1990new; 08-06-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• The blower motor and speedometer are now working on Rosie.
              I switched out the original speedometer cable on Rosie with the one from the manual transmission 93 and now it works fine.
              The automatic cable housing connected but the inside cable was too short.
              Problem with the blower motor was that I had not reconnected the power plug to the motor when I switched out the resistor with the newer used one before.
              I put one of the new resistors in while I was under the dash but the medium speed still does not work. I suspect the switch now.

Drove Rosie several miles today but not over 50 mph yet. Engine and transmission are great.
              Last edited by 1990new; 08-07-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Rosie - Now my 1992 Gl 5 Speed 2016 Project

Been working on Rosie for almost 8 months now and I'm just about ready to call this project finished.
                Just have to get her Drivers seat redone and the AC installed.
                I think the rattle can job I did on the left front fender turned out to be a pretty good match.
                I'm going to try it with the hood that I pulled from the 93. Rosies' has some dents from a previous bump up.
                Today I put a nice Tach cluster in Rosie.
                Bought it on Ebay from someone in Manson, Ia. for $65 shipped and everything works perfect on it.. not a single bulb burned out. There are a couple of faint horizontal marks going across the face but not really a big deal
                I took the face off thinking I could put my non-tach face on it until I remember there is no hole for the odometer reset button.
                I will be adding my non-tach cluster to my for sale list soon.
                [IMG] [/IMG]
                Last edited by 1990new; 08-10-2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Nice work so far. I just installed the same cluster and I love mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by dliverance View Post
                    Nice work so far. I just installed the same cluster and I love mine.
                    Thanks... Countless hours and I haven't gotten everything I spent into the spread sheet... it has really added up but I'm rebuilding Rosie as my oldest grandson's first car, so it's worth it.

Got a great deal on this new compressor on ebay thanks to a forum member who let me know about it... there were two for sale and he bought the other one. They had the 4 groove pulley but as luck would have it two YB-344-B single groove assemblies showed up as close out items at RockAuto for a reasonable price. Here is a picture of the new compressor with the single groove pulley clutch assembly installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• I finished the AC install in Rosie today and the AC works great now.
                      There was about 4 ounces of mineral oil in the new compressor. I drained it out but decided to use ester oil in the
                      system even though I had flushed all the components thoroughly. I was afraid that residual mineral oil in the compressor
                      might cause problem if I used PAG oil.
                      I use 7.5 ounces of ester in the compressor and 2.5 ounces distributed in the components. It took about 22 ounces of R134a. A very cool 40 degrees at the register....nice.
                      Here are some picture (most recent first) of the install:
                      [IMG] [/IMG]
                      Last edited by 1990new; 08-13-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• I finished the AC install in Rosie today and the AC works great now.
                        There was about 4 ounces of mineral oil in the new compressor. I drained it out but decided to use ester oil in the
                        system even though I had flushed all the components thoroughly. I was afraid that residual mineral oil in the compressor
                        might cause problem if I used PAG oil.
                        Got a duplicate post here somehow .. but can't delete.
                        Here are some picture (most recent first) of the install:
                        [IMG] [/IMG]
                        [URL=http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/1990new/media/Rosie%20Project/Rosie%20YB-344-B%20ClutchPulley%20Installed.jpg.html]
                        Last edited by 1990new; 08-13-2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Jess what is the temp reading at the vent and what was the outside temp.
                          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                            Jess what is the temp reading at the vent and what was the outside temp.
                            Right now it is 82 with 87% humidity so it feels like 91.
                            The temperature at the vent reads 40. That was about 3 hours ago (at 8:00PM) and the temperature them was 86.
                            I had the AC running for about 15 minutes sitting in the driveway and there was condensation on the outside of all the windows.
                            Last edited by 1990new; 08-13-2016, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Today I was going through my box of mirrors and I found an orange lettered power mirror switch that I didn't realize I had so I installed non-swoopie power mirrors on Rosie. The left one has a small crack in the plastic but you really can't see it unless you look underneath and the mirror works fine and doesn't wobble at all.
                              Last edited by 1990new; 08-17-2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Found a nice console shift boot on craigslist for $25 that is now installed in Rosie.
                                If anyone is interested, I will sell the brand new oem non-console one that I ordered by mistake and is still sealed in the package
                                for $30 shipped. At that price I'm losing about $10 on it.
                                [IMG] [/IMG]
                                Last edited by 1990new; 08-19-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X