No announcement yet.

Rosie - My 1992 Gl Automatic 2016 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same colors and connectors that are in the Pride wiring diagrams.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Brave... I actually have a saved copy of that on my hard drive.
      I will definitely add wire for power windows, power door locks, courtesy lights and clock, but I think I'll skip the power antenna.

Today I got the instruments panel cleaned up and checked the light bulbs. Only one bulb was burned out.. one of the mini overhead lights, which I replaced.
      Also wire wheeled and painted the 3 wiper arms and installed them. and put new wiper blades on the windshield arms.
      I removed the WSW motor and the panel behind it, vacuumed the cowl area behind it and wire wheeled the panel for painting. I discovered a small hole next to the
      fresh air intake on the passenger side...so this is the reason for the water leaking into the floor on the passenger side instead of the sunroof. The intake appears to be
      sealed with mastic. I plan to repair the loose mastic with some peen n seal after I clean the area thoroughly. Didn't add any more pictures today.

Comment

I used a cheap adapter from Home Depot to vacuum my cowl area. I had a leak on the driver side of my plenum. Had to get ir welded up with the dash out.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          I used a cheap adapter from Home Depot to vacuum my cowl area. I had a leak on the driver side of my plenum. Had to get ir welded up with the dash out.
          That's a long one.. I'm sure it worked great. Did you wash yours out with soap and water?

With the WSW motor out I could put my smaller shop vac hose all the way across to the fresh air intake. I vacuumed first and then changed to the blowing end.
          A lot more trash came out when I did that.. in fact I got something in my eye that bugged me until this morning. Used some of my wife's artificial tears a couple of times
          and it cleared it out.
          Only the small hole I can see from the front next to where the fresh air intake is attached. I'm going to use a mirror to see how it is behind that intake and also toward the fender on both sides.

Today I installed the head liner, a hand hold on the rear passenger side. a coat hook on the rear drivers side, the sun visors, the interior light and the inside mirror.
          It looks 1000% better that it did before. There is one gouge in headline above the passenger area and a couple of small tears in the vinyl beside the hand hold...not perfect but not bad either.
          Didn't add any pictures today but I will in the next couple of days. I'm going to install the sunroof frame next.
          Today I also put the painted metal reinforcement back in the dash. It's all black in there now.
          Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my brake pedal assembly back together.. I should have take a picture of how the return spring goes on. I'ts probably the same as Trixe's so I'll look at hers.
          It sure is nice to have another Festiva to user for reference when you are taking things apart.
          Last edited by 1990new; 01-27-2016, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Today I went to the junk yard and pulled a lot of wire in lots of colors from a 96 Mazda Miata and a few pieces from other cars. I left connector ends on several of them. Now on Rosie I can add wire to the dash harness for the clock, power windows, power door locks and under dash courtesy lights. I'm also going to add wire along the left side and then under the seat so I can put lights underneath the front seats.
            Today I also install the firewall vinyl with new padding on the back (the dap contact cement the I got at Lowes worked great for attaching the padding) the brake pedal assembly and the accelerator pedal assembly. I also painted (with a brush) the places on the roof where the paint was missing around the edge of the sunroof frame. The Rustoleum Sunrise Red is pretty near a perfect match.
            I will take more picture and add them to photobucket tomorrow.

Comment

We had occasional showers today so I worked in the garage cleaning up parts. I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the following:
              AC evaporator and box (will wait for a new expansion valve before reassemble)
              Glove Compartment
              Steering Wheel.
              Steering Column trim
              Dash Bezels and switches.
              Combination switch
              WS wiper motor and mount (I painted the motor and will use new attachment bolts with stainless steel washers.)

I completed the heater box and core cleanup in last couple of days too. I made new door seals from closed cell packing foam.
              I added several more picture to the Rosie project photobucket library.

If you follow the Google maps link that I posted, you will see Rosie sitting in my driveway on December 29th.
              That's her carpet sitting upside down on the bushes beside the garage.
              Last edited by 1990new; 02-03-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Starting to put Rosie's inside back together now. I added some more picture to the photobucket link to show my progress.
                I now have the following back in: the shifter, front seat belts, e-brake cover, carpet padding, carpet, windshield wiper assembly, front seat belts and center belt latches. I also cleaned under the hood and did some partial cleaning of the engine bay.
                Note how I used zip ties to reattach the little plastic strip to the carpet edges where the staples has broken. I also installed the door scuff strips but didn't take pictures of everything I installed today.
                I will be replacing the steering rack before I reinstall the steering column and dash. New rear shocks should arrive tomorrow.
                Transmission filter, modulator, engine cranks seals, and new water pump arrived this week also.

Comment

I added a lot more picture of recent work to Rosie.
                  I decided to do the rear end before I installed the shocks.
                  I had new Wagner wheel cylinders on the shelf so I put new ones in even though the old one were still working.
                  Clean and painted everything on the beam and axles while I was at it. Bearings and brake shoes looked like new so I kept them.
                  Will have to get new axle nuts .. the current ones appear to have been use a few times and were mangled.
                  One of the shock bumpers was cracked so I ordered new bumpers and accordion covers. Got at great deal on the covers $6.95 for two shipped. I order one set to see what they were like. They are really nice so I order 2 more sets. The bumpers are supposed to arrived Monday (2 for $15.99) and I can get the shocks installed and then the cargo compartment trim and the rear seat belts, speakers etc.
                  Next job is to pull and replace the steering rack so I can complete the install of the steering column and ignition, at which point I will be able to reconnect the battery and see of all the electrical stuff still works after all my wiring harness pulling and replacing.
                  I also removed the dented left fender and cleaned behind it. I still have to paint my replacement fender. The old fender is in good shape other than the dents at the front point. If someone knows how to straighten that out.. it would still be a good fender.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 03-02-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Where did you get the accordion covers and bumpers from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The accordion covers are from stdtrucksprings.com (Shock Boots Universal - Black (pair) (69127))
                      I will let you know where I go the bumpers after they get here and I determine whether I can recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                        Where did you get the accordion covers and bumpers from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Here is where I got the bumpers
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/151709646616

I ordered them on the 29th and they arrived today from Nashville, TN.

They look like they are going to work great. I can't tell you about how they will ride until I get Rosie back on the road.
                        They are slightly longer than the original Festiva bumpers but have more compression segments so I think they will work better than the originals.
                        They are easy to install with the accordion covers too: You just insert the bumper into the large end of the boot and
                        push it up so it sticks out just before the first compression segment ring and they will be locked in at the top then pull the bottom to the bottom of the strut and put the included zip tie on.

The bumpers are for a 2001-2005 Jetta or 2000-2001 Golf and are made in Germany.
                        I took pictures and will post them to the Rosie photobucket library later so look for them.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 03-04-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

OK.. The latest photos have been added to the photobucket library (the link is in the first post in this thread).
                          You can how the shock boots and bumpers that I ordered look.
                          So I spent $23 on the boots and bumpers and I think they are the cats meow.
                          Today I completed the installation of Rosie's new shocks and new muffler.
                          I don't think there were originally any rubber bushings on the bottom of the springs but I had a couple of extra ones so I put them on the bottom of the springs where they rest in the shock ledge too.
                          Also flushed out the rear brake lines with lots of new brake fluid and connected the rear brake lines to the new wheel cylinders.
                          The rear will be finished as soon as my new axle nuts arrive.
                          Last edited by 1990new; 03-04-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Jess, that's some great work you have done there, that assembly looks new. congrats
                            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                              Jess, that's some great work you have done there, that assembly looks new. congrats
                              Thanks Karl... Paid $400 for her and at this point I have a little over $800 more invested in parts and materials, plus
                              several hundred hours of my labor (not complaining..I enjoy the labor part). Today I installed the cargo molding trim with speakers, the cargo light and the rear shoulder/seat belt combo.
                              I also put another coat of paint on the left fender and under headlight trim piece. Only interior item left is the seats. I will strip everything off the seat frames, repaint the frames, wash the seat foam and the seat covers. If nothing else Rosie is going to be super clean and with all that sound deadening I put in, super quiet too.
                              Last edited by 1990new; 03-05-2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Jess what did you use for sound deadening material, is that info back in the thread somewhere.
                                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
                                X