Rosie - My 1992 Gl Automatic 2016 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
    Jess what did you use for sound deadening material, is that info back in the thread somewhere.
    It may be there.. It's Peel-n-stick that I got at Lowes. Some people say the more expensive stuff is better and some say this is just as good.
    Some people say there is a smell to this.. was at first but it went away. It really does stick good. I will judge for myself when I get her on the road.

Today I installed the newly painted left front fender and under headlight trim peace... looks nice.
    I also remove the brass radiator that was in Rosie. I will replace it with a new aluminum/plastic one.
    Didn't add any new pictures today. I will be removing the old steering rack tomorrow so I'll take some then.
    Last edited by 1990new; 03-06-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

You mentioned removing the Brass radiator, is it bad or just old and thanks for the info about the peel and stick, let me know how the noise level is when you get your car back on the road.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I will post about the noise level when Rosie gets back on the road.
        As for the Brass radiator, I haven't yet decided what to do with it. A couple of mounting point hardware pieces that had been brazed to the radiator have come off and also a couple of the pieces that allow the fan to be attached, but they could easily be put back on. (It has the AT trans fluid connections).
        As far as I know it doesn't leak anywhere but it needs to be cleaned up. The fins are scrapped in a few places and it is green in several places where the paint had come off. First I'm going to check to see how much I would have to pay to have it pressure tested and cleaned out then I'll decide whether I wan to keep it for later or just sell it now.
        Last edited by 1990new; 03-07-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Haven't done a lot to Rosie the last few days.
          I did install the newly painted left front fender and added the molding piece to it.
          I also cleaned the alloys that were on the rear and painted the center caps and lug bolts.
          They turned out really nice. I uploaded pictures of them and also a picture of one beside one of the front wheels which I still have to clean. Also added pictures of the old brass radiator that was on Rosie which I now plan to sell.
          I also installed the right marker light, adjusted the right headlight, removed all the relays on the left side and cleaned some of the wiring behind the grille. Also removed and cleaned the battery carrier.
          I've been waiting for my rear axle nuts to arrive from RockAuto but discovered yesterday they were still in the shopping cart. so I added a fuel filter to the order to use up all my store credit from a previous returned item.
          Tomorrow I will install the heater controls and add the original radio connectors back so I can install the radio.
          Last edited by 1990new; 03-09-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

My new rear axle nuts arrived in the mail from RockAuto today (new fuel filter yesterday).
            Today I did the torque and preload for the rear axle bearings and staked the nuts. Also bled the rear brakes.
            So now I'm completely finished with the rear end. I installed the heater controls, radio and center bezel on Friday.
            A couple of the hinge pieces for the sun roof broke when I removed it and I have not been able to find ones like them anywhere..so today I used a couple of metal tubes and drilled holes in the ends to match the pattern of the holes in the glass sunroof.
            I then put bolts with rubber washers through the sunroof holes and through the holes in the tubes inside the car. The tubes extend beyond the bezel inside so they hold the sunroof in. Works and I had no leaks when I washed Rosie today. I will continue to look for the original hinges and plan to make the sunroof operational when I find them. I also used my dremel with a pencil wire brush to clean the contacts on the fusible link block.
            Next big job is replacing the steering rack and then the steering column, column multi switch, ignition and instrument panel.
            I uploaded a few more picture today.
            Last edited by 1990new; 03-12-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I'm having a little trouble getting at the left lower steering rack bolt (behind the auto transmission).
              It's a very tight fit and my shortest socket extension is too long for the ratchet to fit on and the space is too crowded
              for me to get my handle on the socket without an extension. I had a 1/4 14mm long socket but I broke the 3/8 adapter trying to us it wit my 3/8 ratchet. Guess I'll have to buy a long 3/8 14mm socket to get it off. Sure is easier to change a rack with the engine and transmission out.
              Last edited by 1990new; 03-14-2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Finally got the 4th rack bolt out.. had to remove the bolt holding the shifter cable to the side of the transmission so I could move it out of the way. Bought a 1 1/2 inch short extension at Lowes and used my 3/8 ratchet to get the bolt loose.
                Uploaded pictures of my old and rebuilt rack and pictures of the spare tire well cover that I made. Here is a picture of the cover:

I'm not doing much outside right now... everything is covered with yellow pollen and it continues to rain down. Worst I've seen it in years. Rosie used to be red but she's yellow right now.
                Last edited by 1990new; 03-16-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Today I removed the windshield washer tank and all the hoses, cleaned the tank and motor, painted the metal parts that attach the tank and motor. Cleaned the hoses with bleach water solution and blew them out. The hoses are still in good shape and not hard or brittle.
                  I also removed the top layer of tape from the wiring harness wire bundles that go across the font of the car and put new tape back on them (easier than trying to clean them). I replaced the AC 3 pack relay with covers with a newer one that I had. I also painted the metal piece that the relays attach to. Used my dremel wire wheel to clean more of the wiring harness connectors also and did some cleaning of the left side engine bay. Sprayed PB blaster on all the bolts connecting the front suspension in preparation for remove and replacing.

At this point with everything I'm doing to Rosie to get her in tip top shape, I now seriously considering spending the money to put a rebuilt 1.6 in her.

Took more pictures today but haven't uploaded them yet. I'm having problem with the USB connections on my Dell Optiplex 390... it appears to be a known problem on this motherboard so I may just have to get a new desktop before the motherboard fails completely.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 03-17-2016, 07:53 PM.

Comment

More work done on Rosie the last couple of days and some more pictures upload now.
                    I removed all the brackets from the left strut tower and the bracket that holds the fuel filter and painted them... removed the ground cable and the wiring harness ground block. Wire wheeled the connections and cleaned and re taped more wires and cables in that area.
                    I wire wheeled all the brackets and painted them. Also cleaned all the left side of the engine bay thoroughly.
                    Also cleaned and painted the center caps from the front wheels.

Anyone know where I can get some of good rubber isolation connectors that hold the fuel filter bracket... mine are all broken.
                    Last edited by 1990new; 03-19-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Did a little work on Rosie today:
                      Put a second coat of paint on the brackets that go on the left side of the engine bay and the bracket that go on top of the radiator..
                      Also cleaned up the radiator fan assembly and motor.
                      The fan blade is shot and the little hose that comes out of the back of the fan motor broke off.
                      I uploaded some more picture to the Rosie libary on photobucket.
                      Here is a picture of the fan blade and motor sowing the tube that broke off.
                      Anyone know what this is for? There appears to be some kind of shunt in the tube that preventing entry but allows exit.

Comment

Did a little work on Rosie today:
                        Put a second coat of paint on the brackets that go on the left side of the engine bay and the bracket that go on top of the radiator. Also painted the rack attachment brackets and the bottom steering universal.
                        Cleaned up the radiator fan assembly and motor.
                        The fan blade is shot and the little hose that comes out of the back of the fan motor broke off.
                        I uploaded some more picture to the Rosie libary on photobucket.
                        Here is a picture of the fan blade and motor sowing the tube that broke off.
                        Anyone know what this is for? There appears to be some kind of shunt in the tube that preventing entry but allows exit.

Comment

I have an extra fan blade, but I need a close up of the center.
                          I believe that stabby hose is just a drain hose in case water gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                            I have an extra fan blade, but I need a close up of the center.
                            I believe that stabby hose is just a drain hose in case water gets in.

Here is the picture Brave. Rockauto has the entire assembly for $70 but the motor work and the shroud just needs a little paint in a couple of places.
                            If your blade is the same PM me the price including shipping (no need for rush on shipping..I have a few months work left to do).

Last edited by 1990new; 03-20-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

The last couple of days I have been cleaning up and painting the following parts for Rosie:
                              Radiator shroud
                              The part that attaches the washer bottle bracket to the car in the left fender well.
                              The metal pieces that hold the coil
                              The front fender braces (the heads of the bolts that attach to the bumper broke off but I was able to get the rest out of the captive nut)
                              Cleaned everything on the right side all around where the rack attaches.
                              Cleaned the oil and dirt off the transmission support.
                              Cleaned really good under both front fender wells.
                              Wire wheeled the screws that hold the fan motor in.
                              Put the fan motor back in the newly painted shroud and Jb welded the little piece of rubber hoses back on the fan motor.
                              Removed the front brake pads. (calipers still work and don't leak so I'll clean them up and paint them later).
                              Removed the inner and outer tie rods from the old steering rack and tossed them.
                              Just a little more cleaning on the left side on the lower part of the fire wall and I'll be ready to put the new rack in and get the steering column back in. Rosie had 3 good tires when I bought her but the left front one has steel showing on the inside. I'll remove that tire before I cean her front alloy wheels.
                              The front struts look like the originals so I think I'll order new ones for her before I do the front suspension and brakes.

Comment

How do you take the fan blade off the motor?
                                I unscrewed the nut and tried to wiggle the blade off.
                                No luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X