No announcement yet.

Roll cage pictures needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have saved every photo of crashed festivas i have come across for the last couple years. I have been interested in how vehicles react to crashes for quite a while because of the job i used to have. I just skimmed through them all again after reading this. Festivas really dont do that badly in crashes compared to any other vehicle. Honestly. I think a standard roll cage will do you fine. All your trying to do is keep the cabin from crumpling, just like any car with a cage. And any other car is heavier requiring more attention to the cage.
    Ill just share one or 2 photos. This is a caged ice racer. If i remember correctly this festiva was doing 70-80mph and t-boned a stationary vw sirraco.
    This uncaged festiva here was rear-ended and sandwiched hard. Worst type of crash for a festiva. With even the most basic/rudimentary roll cage the passengers head would be fine. Perhaps even no roll cage and just a helmit.

Amyway, like i said, i got tons of these and they dont look much worse than other cars.
    Ok, heres one of the specific area your worried about. Cant see inside the footwell but thats a real hard hit and it dont look bad from this angle.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-03-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

While not Festiva's, if you Google "rally car crashes" you will see LOTS of videos clips of similar size and shaped cars hitting and crashing into everything imaginable.

Lots of rollover pictures, hitting trees and rock walls, etc. -- from inside the car and from outside. Gives you an excellent idea of just how well cages work.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Brown View Post
        While not Festiva's, if you Google "rally car crashes" you will see LOTS of videos clips of similar size and shaped cars hitting and crashing into everything imaginable.

Lots of rollover pictures, hitting trees and rock walls, etc. -- from inside the car and from outside. Gives you an excellent idea of just how well cages work.
        Watching rally car crashes on youtube helps a lot too. That way you realize how hard they are hitting and what happens to the car.
        Its amazing to see those guys hit trees head on or sideways at 100mph, roll 20 times or nosedive into a solid bank and hop out after.
        Almost as important as your roll cage is your safety harness. Your seat and what your harness attaches to cannot move! They have to be very well protected. If the bar your harness bolts to kinks or your seat moves your belt loosens and you hit stuff. Doesnt matter if your whole car crumples, as long as it doesnt hit you too hard or you hit it your good.
        This is my all time favorate video i think. Guy trying to set the world record for the longest jump fails and nosedives. It really shows what a well built cage can handle. I recommend watching the whole thing but skip ahead a bit if your only interested in the jump. https://youtu.be/HWOANXNGrZc

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There are guys on here that have crashed Festivas just for fun. Fordfester has been using them in demolition derby figure 8 racing for a decade or more. They really do fair well in collisions.
          The foot well area is pretty soft. Dragonhealer actually owns a car that looks fine on the outside, but must have eaten a fence post or sign post at one time and the passenger foot well was invaded by the post. If someone was sitting in the passenger seat, it would have been ugly. That's a really weird accident though. Kind of like the cinder block dropped from a highway overpass. You can't plan for everything.
          On our LeMons car, we plated the passenger foot well with 1/8" steel. It's not pretty, but it'll take a hit.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

As a guide:
            image.jpg
            image.jpg
            image.jpg
            image.jpg
            image.jpg
            image.jpg

These are NASA. Check the regulations of your specific sanctioning body
            A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
            Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Here is FIA
              image.jpg

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

FIA Article 253.8.3
                Safety cages

Comment

Working...
                X