Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    quick check: listen to the injectors and make sure they are all clicking.... may want to pull your plugs and inspect for one that looks out of place....
    Can you explain about the injectors . thanks

Comment

take long screw driver to your ear and touch the tip to the barrel of the injector while the engine is running, if one sounds different than the others, that's the cylinder you need to pay attention to.

also you can start pulling plug wires (one by one) while running and the one that doesnt' change the idle is you suspect.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok thanks I will give it a try tomorrow

Comment

And you dont have to purchase new wires,that wasnt my point. Just make sure the clips inside are properly seating on the posts when you push them on.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

A open in a plug wire can knock out the module and the coil. When the coil insulation can no longer support the high KV of a open plug wire the secondary insulation will fail allowing 45 KV give or take to arc into the primary winding with no where to go except to ground across the board in the ignition module.

A spark tester at the plug end of the ignition wire will find opens and carbon tracks to ground. Plugs have to be inspected as well.

Bosch plugs are awesome! You buy some minnows and use the plugs to hold the bait about 18 inches off the bottom. If it hangs up it is no loss..
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

IMG_2911.jpg
              Could this be my problem..? timing marks dont line up if im not mistaken arent they suppose to be 12 & 3.?
              Last edited by Dom; 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

that would do it!
                '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Originally posted by XFSE71 View Post
                  that would do it!
                  Thanks xfse71.

Comment

big question: why is the cam SO out of time.....??? find that issue first!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

big question: why is the cam SO out of time.....??? find that issue first!
                      Could it have been when I put the new distributer in 4 weeks ago ..?
                      For the first two weeks it ran fine then started the sputter and shorting out the icm.
                      Last edited by Dom; 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

you shouldn't have needed to touch the timing belt to replace the dizzy... so i'll lean away from that...

Comment

you shouldn't have needed to touch the timing belt to replace the dizzy... so i'll lean away from that...
                          I mean when I put the dizzy in i put it in the same way, ran fine up until recently. I have no idea , any idea?
                          Last edited by Dom; 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

loose belt or damaged teeth.... in either case, reset the belt and test again.

Comment

Should I just put a new belt while I have it opened ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
                                Should I just put a new belt while I have it opened ?
                                I would do what Festy said and see if it stays in time. There is a simple procedure for that belt tention. Do it,and run the car like he said.
                                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                                X