Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom View Post
    Well just took timing cover off ad noticed timing jump again . Would off timing cause it to sputter ?
    yes... now find out WHY it's jumping timing.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

How do I do that

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
        Just make sure you set the tension correctly, and check the bearing on the tensioner for binding.
        Originally posted by Dom View Post
        How do I do that
        Get a FORD FESTIVA SERVICE manual it will save you lots of questions and headaches. You can find them on eBay shipped to your door for like $25.00
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

pull the belt, inspect the tentioner, inspect the belt. is the tentioner even able to do it's job??? (belt too big or tentioner not able to move into position properly).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            pull the belt, inspect the tentioner, inspect the belt. is the tentioner even able to do it's job??? (belt too big or tentioner not able to move into position properly).
            Ok thanks will check in the morning.

Comment

While your in there looking at that stuff, check that the cam gear bolt is tight, and is not loose on the cam, causing the gear to spin on the camshaft.

Rare, but heard of it happening before.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                No offense, but it took you that long? :shock:

By golly, I did it in that time laying on my back it the dirt, when the Festy broke down 100+ miles away at deer camp!!!
                Wow you changed out the crank seal lying on your back.Wow I must be a total ass huh?
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

just went to go check up on my car at the mechanic and he also stated my timing was off and thats what was causing the sputtering well.........so he replaced the timing, tensioner,and belt. just went there and the car is doing the same exact thing it was doing maybe a lil bit worse. I am dumping way to much money in this car. What do you guys think ? help please.....festyboy the spark plugs seem fine
                  Last edited by Dom; 04-27-2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

ok, the timing being off CAN cause the sputter, but i never said it WAS the cause of the sputter.... your mechanic should have said the same thing and he also should have done a compression test right off the bat. tell him to do a compression test and don't pay for it because it's what he should have done in the first place once reseting the timing. also, does your mecanic know that the timing marks on the crank pulley aren't the same as the TDC mark on the crank?....

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      ok, the timing being off CAN cause the sputter, but i never said it WAS the cause of the sputter.... your mechanic should have said the same thing and he also should have done a compression test right off the bat. tell him to do a compression test and don't pay for it because it's what he should have done in the first place once reseting the timing. also, does your mecanic know that the timing marks on the crank pulley aren't the same as the TDC mark on the crank?....
                      to be honest i do not think this guy knew what he was doing.. im just so frustrated so the car is still there until monday till they work on it the only reason i brought it there is because i had no time this weekend and i needed the car for work on monday well thats not gonna happen. were is the tdc mark go i left my manual in the car.
                      Also how much should a mechanic charge for a timing belt ,water pump and tensioner ?
                      Last edited by Dom; 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• According to my Festiva shop manual dated 1988. The tensioner bolt should be tightened to 19-26 N * m (14-19 lb-ft).
                        1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                        1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                        2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                        2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                        2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                        1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

• to see the TDC mark you need to look under the WP snout (behind the timing belt cover) using a strong flashlight. crank the engine by hand untill the notch in the timingcog comes into view. it needs to sit directly under the pointer on the oil pump housing. that's TDC.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            to see the TDC mark you need to look under the WP snout (behind the timing belt cover) using a strong flashlight. crank the engine by hand untill the notch in the timingcog comes into view. it needs to sit directly under the pointer on the oil pump housing. that's TDC.
                            What is the compression supposed to be ?

Comment

• Also according to the shop manual diagnostic, the car lacking power/sputters .... hang on to your seat!
                              Vacuum distribution:
                              -vacuum leaks/cloggs.
                              Induction:
                              -air duct hoses
                              -filter element
                              -vane airflow meter
                              -throttle plate(s) & linkage
                              -throttle body gasket
                              Cooling:
                              -Coolant level
                              Fuel delivery:
                              -Filter
                              -pump
                              -Low pressure filter
                              -lines
                              -Pressure regulator
                              -injectors
                              Base engine:
                              -Compression check
                              -Camshaft out of line
                              -Worn camshaft lobes
                              -Weak or broken valve spring
                              -Sticking, damaged, or worn piston rings
                              -Malfunction of hydraulic lash
                              -Adjusters (HLA)
                              -Blown cylinder head
                              -gasket or cracked or distorted cylinder head
                              -seized valve stem or guides
                              -cracked or worn piston or cylinder
                              Ignition:
                              -Scope engine for: spark plugs, coil, secondary wires, distriibutor cap & rotor.
                              Exhaust:
                              -components restricted
                              Carb:
                              -Components
                              EGR:
                              -Components
                              Iginition timing:
                              -Base plus advance and retard functions

There are other diagnostics for Stalls/quits & Stumbles/hesitates during accelerations

I know you have fixed or checked some of this. If you checked, check again. If you like the car, don't give up. You will find the problem.

Since I purchased my 89 Festiva for $800 I have put over $1500 into it & I still have to put more into it to get it to where I like it. I'm going to start purchasing some more tools so I can do my own work ...... like the rear wheel bearings.
                              1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                              1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                              1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                              2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                              2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                              2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                              1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                                Also according to the shop manual diagnostic, the car lacking power/sputters .... hang on to your seat!
                                Vacuum distribution:
                                -vacuum leaks/cloggs.
                                Induction:
                                -air duct hoses
                                -filter element
                                -vane airflow meter
                                -throttle plate(s) & linkage
                                -throttle body gasket
                                Cooling:
                                -Coolant level
                                Fuel delivery:
                                -Filter
                                -pump
                                -Low pressure filter
                                -lines
                                -Pressure regulator
                                -injectors
                                Base engine:
                                -Compression check
                                -Camshaft out of line
                                -Worn camshaft lobes
                                -Weak or broken valve spring
                                -Sticking, damaged, or worn piston rings
                                -Malfunction of hydraulic lash
                                -Adjusters (HLA)
                                -Blown cylinder head
                                -gasket or cracked or distorted cylinder head
                                -seized valve stem or guides
                                -cracked or worn piston or cylinder
                                Ignition:
                                -Scope engine for: spark plugs, coil, secondary wires, distriibutor cap & rotor.
                                Exhaust:
                                -components restricted
                                Carb:
                                -Components
                                EGR:
                                -Components
                                Iginition timing:
                                -Base plus advance and retard functions

There are other diagnostics for Stalls/quits & Stumbles/hesitates during accelerations

I know you have fixed or checked some of this. If you checked, check again. If you like the car, don't give up. You will find the problem.

Since I purchased my 89 Festiva for $800 I have put over $1500 into it & I still have to put more into it to get it to where I like it. I'm going to start purchasing some more tools so I can do my own work ...... like the rear wheel bearings.
                                Wow ... You weren't kidding hang on to my seat

Comment

Working...
                                X