X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pu241
    replied
    Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
    Make a soda can solar heater? Free heat for the day and burn the furnace overnight..
    Not going to give you enough heat during the winters here need more efficient design, thinking vacuum tube concentrators and a chain of recycled 50 -100gallon water heaters for storage.

Solar and wind could be used for off grid living depending on location, but power companies make it hard for anything less than a 3-5 KWhr system to get a check from them.

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    Originally posted by Pu241 View Post

Also there are a number of more efficient solar heating units available not free mind you but very efficient at collecting solar energy and there are cheap way to store it.
    Furnace room- what is/was the heat source?
    Make a soda can solar heater? Free heat for the day and burn the furnace overnight..

Perhaps a battery bank, wind/solar power to supplement an income from the power company to help raise money for resouces whilst you're not using the place..

Also a donation to get a BBQ going on over the weekend it's on.

Sent from the depths of hell.
    Last edited by jawbraeka; 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pu241
    replied
    Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
    Excellent.. Maybe a monthly working bee for members who want to stop in and help get the place up and add some things around the place.

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
    The place is looking great & has great potential!

I would love to donate my time to help fix the place up. My only problem is my work schedule. Right now my weekends are Thursday & Friday.

I agree 100%.
    There a more than a few of us with in say 100 miles willing drop in one weekend and give you a hand.
    I assume sleeing bags and coolers to be brough so we can maximize the amount work that gets done.
    We can bring our own masks/clothes to help remove the old insulation and replace with new.
    You provide material we provide labor.

Also there are a number of more efficient solar heating units available not free mind you but very efficient at collecting solar energy and there are cheap way to store it.
    Furnace room- what is/was the heat source?

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    This place will rock.

Last edited by jawbraeka; 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• muleskinner
    replied
    The place is looking great & has great potential!

I would love to donate my time to help fix the place up. My only problem is my work schedule. Right now my weekends are Thursday & Friday.
    Last edited by muleskinner; 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    Yeah I hear that..

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    Jawbraeka wrote: "Maybe a monthly working bee for members who want to stop in and help get the place up and add some things around the place."

I wanted to have a bonfire but it's still in the planning stages. We'll see.

The harsh winter has slowed progress gutting the inside.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    Excellent.. Maybe a monthly working bee for members who want to stop in and help get the place up and add some things around the place.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    I saw your Monster Beast! Old timey looking thang it is, too! Won't need it here since I have a hoist. It's just not as cool as yours is!

Plain old B6 with under 80K miles should be arriving this week, to replace my current B6 in Aqua. I chose it because I need to get this engine replaced quickly and the same engine should just pop right in. No exhaust, mount or ECU work needed like I'd have to do going to a B8 or B6-ME.

It's getting new seals, WP, timing belt, etc. first. Should be ready to swap next weekend. I'm making more room in my garage, courtesy of my church/warehouse.

The problem is head gasket issues again. Burning some coolant, especially during the cold weather. I'm going to do a full rebuild I thinks.

I'll send you a PM.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-22-2014, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zoom zoom
    replied
    B6-b6me or just b6?!?!?!! Need help?! I got a pretty super awesome cherrypicker henceforth known as The Monster Beast.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    I think the coon's out. The last three times I've been there, there has been no sign and no noise from the attic areas. I do have the furnace room opening blocked so it can't get in, but there were scratches on the furnace room outer walls where it tried to climb down and had to drop the last few feet.

Last time I was there, I found a bat. I was hoping they wouldn't come back so soon! The church is not fully sealed yet due to the harsh winter cold. I can't caulk at such low temps.

I have taken more junk from my garage to store at the church, so it is serving an admirable purpose though! I have an upcoming engine swap (B6 to B6) for AquaMutt. I'll be updating that thread as well soon.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• 200KGPGTP
    replied
    This is awesome. People are going to start dropping off neglected Festivas.

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    How is the church going? Updates please.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    Jawbraeka, I've thought of doing a solar heater in the south wall on the north end where it gets the most sun. That's a project to be done before next winter. I'll probably drill some holes in the bottom and top of the window cutout (the windows are only 8" block instead of the 12" walls), add a wood frame, a black painted metal screen for heat absorption, glazing to seal it off, and proper venting, possibly with a fan. I'll research the designs and come up with what seems the best. If it works well, I'll do the middle window too, and probably enclose that area for an office and winter workshop/sleeping area. Maybe 10' by 16'. Should be easy to heat with passive solar and my electric heater, with insulation, of course.

Lots of plans I have, but the hard work ain't started yet: gutting the interior, especially removing all the ceiling insulation that has been crapped on by bats, coons and who knows what else? All kinds of nasty infectious possibilities await me! But I'll be protected. Gotta buy a good full face respirator and some other stuff.

More later.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
    I went back Saturday and spent over four hours making stuff. But first, some outside pics of tracks that encircle my church, with some leading to the furnace room!

With my 5.1" long Surefire light for scale:

A closeup:

I'm thinking racoon. It must use the hole in the furace room wall to get in and out. I haven't done anything yet to trap it or the mice, but soon I will. Inside, I hear it in the ceiling sometimes and I think it gets up and down right here:

I think this because the white pail I use to catch water from the hole in the roof above was moved and tipped over:

It usually sits right here at the corner of the doorway. Notice I've stapled "coon detector paper" on the door corner:

If it goes this way, it should rip or leave some marks on the shop towels. I'm pretty sure a coon could climb up that rough wood.

Got to wait till I can go two days in a row and I'll set up the no-kill trap with cat food in it. I'll also seal up the furnace room hole. Then I'll work on the mice.

Karl
    Be careful.. Some coons are crafty.

This is a trailer i made for the South Park Coon Quadrilogy, It features shots from all four episodes and music from James Newton Howard' s 'King Kong' sound...

sent from the depths of hell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X