Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Guy
    replied
    I went back Saturday and spent over four hours making stuff. But first, some outside pics of tracks that encircle my church, with some leading to the furnace room!

With my 5.1" long Surefire light for scale:

A closeup:

I'm thinking racoon. It must use the hole in the furace room wall to get in and out. I haven't done anything yet to trap it or the mice, but soon I will. Inside, I hear it in the ceiling sometimes and I think it gets up and down right here:

I think this because the white pail I use to catch water from the hole in the roof above was moved and tipped over:

It usually sits right here at the corner of the doorway. Notice I've stapled "coon detector paper" on the door corner:

If it goes this way, it should rip or leave some marks on the shop towels. I'm pretty sure a coon could climb up that rough wood.

Got to wait till I can go two days in a row and I'll set up the no-kill trap with cat food in it. I'll also seal up the furnace room hole. Then I'll work on the mice.

One last picture. I made foot tall uprights to get the old corner room cabinet up on the shelf unit. Both came with the church. I added the wheels.

Oh, inside that clear container is my hot pot with cocoa mix and some other goodies. I have some snacks there too, just in case. But not for the critters! I have cat food and peanut butter for them...

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    I'd you're still getting sun in the winter or at least daylight.. I watched a video on how to make a solar heater using nothing more than a bunch of spray painted soda cans in a frame, a couple of fans and some ducting and a switch and they had free heating from the sun..

This is my version of a solar hot air panel that I built over the last two weeks.From little testing I have been able to do I believe this panel will produce...

It may help keep your workshop warmer during the colder months and allow you to keep your energy bills down a bit too... So more money for the Festiva later on..

sent from the depths of hell.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    Past time for an update!

I haven't been to church too much these past few weeks due to the weather. When I have, I've been working on inside stuff like building rolling storage and work stuff.

Here are two of the soffit vent screens I've made. Only these two are painted and ready for installation:

Here some are on the bench after being glued. Also note I've added an extra plank for a larger bench top.

They are made out of cut furring strips, aluminum wire screen and just wood glued together.

Here is my new 4' folding table, with my large rolling shelf full of Festiva parts behind it. Also, in the right window bay is the piecemeal shelf Matt and I made awhile back.

HF 12" double bevel mitre saw. Works pretty well and I'm happy with it. Makes cutting wood pieces pretty quick and easy.

Got a heater, too! Just for warming hands or glue, etc.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-03-2014, 05:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    This video was taken a couple weeks ago, after one of the first snows. It's melting and if you have the volume up enough, you'll hear some peaceful sounds.

I hope it loads!

I took it with my new camera.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    Well guys, sorry I've been so lazy. I hope to get unlazied this week and post some updates and pics.

Not much, but a little bit.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• muleskinner
    replied
    Asian Lady bugs are also attracted to light colors.
    G-dine gets them every year, by the millions, where she lives. The vacume takes care of them nicely!

Leave a comment:

• avitsefdrof
    replied
    So any progress on St. Festiva Center.....???

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    Ha! The Festiva Revival Center is always open to ideas, but those ideas have to get in line! Too much to do already, mostly cleaning, fixing, organizing (actually, I'm not much of an organizer at all--or is it my laziness?) and such.

I'll have more pics soon and will post them. Gotta get the roof fixed, too! One large and one smallish hole.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• zoom zoom
    replied
    Lol, I don't know if Karl will have any room left in the FRC after he moves his stuff in! He's great at organizing, but you can only cram so much stuff in a 5 gallon bucket!

Leave a comment:

• MiltonHavoc
    replied
    Are you ready to start receiving "saved" festiva parts?
    there are a couple of festivas here in the yards. I always had the idea of pulling some of the parts that people tend to need and store them somewhere safe.
    headlights, thermostat housings, a few engine blocks( bp, bpt, b6t, and b6's). and then start buying some of the parts from rock auto before they go "extinct"
    also possibly store some shells for people who want to do swaps. "Save the festivas" type thing. plus shadetree is around the corner from you so getting things to him to so swaps would be MUCH easier from there (OH) than from here (CO)

Leave a comment:

• freshtiva
    replied
    Yeah suppressor prices are outrageous. I haven't gone to all your links ( but I will ) , I bought a couple threaded barrel Ruger sr22s several months ago and love them. Fun plinkers and a good value. I do better with them over other larger calibers plus it's a lot cheaper practice in todays ammo market.

Again kudos on the property !!
    Last edited by freshtiva; 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    The Asian Ladybugs are an invasive species and they tend to take over from native ladybugs and other critters. They are attracted to the warm walls and seek to shelter inside for the winter. They don't know that my church is not heated!

Marcus, I'd love me a pistol range out back. It'll be awhile before I do any shooting there since I need to keep my neighbors in mind. It's a quiet area and I rarely hear gunshots. If I hear more as I hang out I'll be tempted to let loose my own noise. Until then, I plan to take up my Bear takedown bow and maybe buy a nice air rifle. I'd even consider a suppresed something-or-other. Just for fun you know.

Here's a nice little piece to put a suppressor on:

And the can to go with it:

Tax stamp and paperwork for the can, and I could put it on a few different guns. Just need muzzle threading, I suppose. Be nice to have a Marlin Papoose takedown that could mount one. (Yep, I want a Papoose, not the new 10/22 takedown. Wanted one for a loooonnnng time now.)

Both old and new ones compared:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Looks like the older one has about a one inch shorter length of pull stock. I think I'd prefer that. Plus, I just like wood.

Review by Nutnfancy:

The Marlin Papoose .22 rifle is an excellent all-around .22 rifle choice. Weighing only 3.2 lbs (!) and having the capability to break down easily into a bu...

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• freshtiva
    replied
    What a great place with lots of potential, great find ! Pistol range out back.

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    Weird...wonder why they were so attracted to the church!

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    One more of the back of the church from the woods. It's very quiet and peaceful there.

Monday I went back up and was going to do more painting and other work on the front door. Unfortunately, there were asian ladybugs. Dozens at first and then hundreds. All flying onto my church, especially the front door area!

Some on the doorway:

The doorway later:

And inside, just before I quit early and left! If I had tried to work, they would've been all over ME. And getting squashed and then sticking to the wet paint and caulk! Yuck.

Karl

Leave a comment:

Working...
X