Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
    My question is. If someone were to get the whole head package. Would you be able to do a cam grind that would give maximum torque over horsepower. I like the idea of a 1.3 torque monster. Low rpm power long engine life strong fifth gear etc. I've had my fair share of fast driving and I'm getting used to having power in the more usable rpm ranges as opposed to top speed. Maybe I'm just getting old.
    Been really busy at the shop. Trying to reply as I can. A cam much like what I did for drumnerd33 on his "Super B3" thread would be similar to what you are looking for, but for a stock head a little less lift & tighter lobe separation. The cam I did for him was designed to develop a impressive torque curve in the 2500-4500 RPM range, which would most likely be appropriate for you as well. As I have said before, I can produce a cam for ANY specific application & custom tailor a profile for your specific needs. This will guarantee the best results as no specific setup is the same.
    PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
      Sounds like a great combo! I will be watching for the results, so be sure to post it up! I'm wanting to swap out my FMS cam for basically the same thing Matts doing for you....a custom roller grind for my B6 that will be a "drop in" without having to modify the head or valves.

Why did you use the B3 intake? Is your car carbureted?
      I used the B3 intake etc because the 1989 Mercury Tracer had a different set of injectors and wiring harness with it. The intake manifold was an easy swap and a direct bolt up. As Matt has stated before there seems to be negligable difference in the "Shared air volume"

Cortezit

Comment

• Originally posted by cortezit View Post
        I used the B3 intake etc because the 1989 Mercury Tracer had a different set of injectors and wiring harness with it. The intake manifold was an easy swap and a direct bolt up. As Matt has stated before there seems to be negligable difference in the "Shared air volume"

Cortezit
        But you still had to switch injectors...at least if you're using a B6 ECU. Unless you kept the B3 ECU and smaller B3 injectors? If you did, then there's some extra HP left on the table right there. The common belief is that the B6 ECU has better fuel and timing curves, or at least better suited to the B6. Those who have done a B6 swap and kept the B3 ECU & injectors report that they experienced as much of an increase in noticable power just by swapping in the B6 ECU as they got from the physical motor swap in the first place. My B6 was from an '89 Tracer as well. I kept the B6 intake, used a set of 2nd gen B6 injectors and they plugged right in to the Festy harness. I'm certainly no expert and not near as experienced and knowledgable as Matt, but I personally thought there was a fairly substantial difference between the B3 and B6 intakes. The B6 plenum is indeed larger...not a lot, but enough to be able to notice visualy. The runners are proportionately larger diameter as well. The runners also appeared to have a slightly better flow path as well. I kinda figured all this would be beneficial, given the extra 300cc displacement, ported head, better cam and other mods....but I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize, I just want to see you get the most of what you have! Here are some comparison pictures I took during my swap. The last one is a B6 gasket on a B3 intake. ;

Last edited by blkfordsedan; 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
          Been really busy at the shop. Trying to reply as I can. A cam much like what I did for drumnerd33 on his "Super B3" thread would be similar to what you are looking for, but for a stock head a little less lift & tighter lobe separation. The cam I did for him was designed to develop a impressive torque curve in the 2500-4500 RPM range, which would most likely be appropriate for you as well. As I have said before, I can produce a cam for ANY specific application & custom tailor a profile for your specific needs. This will guarantee the best results as no specific setup is the same.
          Awesome thx for the info. It's good to know we are not limited to a high rpm monster. My other question is ive been reaserching a lot of papers about resonant intake designs. And how a well designed intake can yield over %100 volumetric efficiency. And sometimes provide a sort of light supercharging effect at certain rpms. And I understand the theories and implementation but I don't have the tools or equipment to create one.
          My question is have you ever designed such a system that creates a positive intake charge over %100 volumetric efficiency for a n/a application?
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• Does this answer your question?

Comment

• Matt, that is *****, now we just need a custom setup like that for the carb'd guys. Maybe run all four pipes into a square bore, outside pipes to the front and inside pipes to the back to try to equalize their length (something like the one on the 2.3 turbo motor but topped off with a carb mount instead of the upper intake). I am no fabricator or I would attempt it myself, my welding is no better than drumnerd33's (not a dig at you just pointing out that I, like you am no where nears Matt's level) and forget about attempting to TIG aluminum.
              Last edited by Damkid; 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM.
              1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
              Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)
              Former addictions:03 Cobra, 04 GT Stang (wife's car)

Comment

• It looks great and I understand you designed it to work best for the setup it is designed for. Is there a way to measure the volumetric efficiency versus rpm your setup produces? For example this chart is for a racing jaguar with no intake pipe versus pipes of different lengths. And the varying volumetric efficiency vs rpm for each setup.

Are these figures simply a representation of the torque bands?
                I know I'm asking a bunch of questions but a more full understanding I feel will help people understand how awesome your setup truly is. I really just enjoy the science involved.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• blkfordsedan...I have several phone conversations with cortezit regarding his Festiva. I think he just went with the B3 EFI because it was already in the car & simplified the swap. I'm doing a custom cam for him & we have discussed that he probably already has a lean condition (tho likely not severe enough to cause a drivability problem) & that a larger cam, will increase performance but will exacerbate a lean condition. The B3 EFI system has no ability to compensate for the increase in displacement. It only knows to calculate a load table based on knowing that "X" size engine & "Y" size injector needs "Z" size pulse width, being a narrow band EFI system it targets a predetermined AFR @WOT. What we are going to do to remedy this is install an adjustable fuel regulator as a simple way to compensate. On my Festiva, the B3 is putting out more than twice the stock HP & requires 62 PSI rail pressure to maintain 12.8-1 AFR at wide open throttle with the stock injectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                    It looks great and I understand you designed it to work best for the setup it is designed for. Is there a way to measure the volumetric efficiency versus rpm your setup produces? For example this chart is for a racing jaguar with no intake pipe versus pipes of different lengths. And the varying volumetric efficiency vs rpm for each setup.

Are these figures simply a representation of the torque bands?
                    I know I'm asking a bunch of questions but a more full understanding I feel will help people understand how awesome your setup truly is. I really just enjoy the science involved.
                    I designed this intake to work with the B3's bore & stroke configuration & usable RPM range to enhance it's torque curve. I had a lot of people wanting an intake for the EFI B3, so I designed it to work with the stock lower to be affordable. After building it, I discovered that anything more than "free" wasn't affordable! I spent a lot of time on the flow bench coming up with this intake (tho this is what I do for a living so I usually have an idea of what is going to work before I even start) the dyno showed that it worked & worked well for what it was. VE seems to be a term that flies around a lot w/o necessarily being understood. VE is simply a calculation of a cylinders ability to completely fill itself & cannot be calculated w/o a dyno. A skilled dyno operator will show his worth in this area as VE & BSFC follow the torque curve & are at their greatest at or near peak torque. A dyno operator with experience will be able to tell you to near exactness things such as a cam profile, cylinder head flow, VE, ect.... just from looking at a dyno graph.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
                      blkfordsedan...I have several phone conversations with cortezit regarding his Festiva. I think he just went with the B3 EFI because it was already in the car & simplified the swap. I'm doing a custom cam for him & we have discussed that he probably already has a lean condition (tho likely not severe enough to cause a drivability problem) & that a larger cam, will increase performance but will exacerbate a lean condition. The B3 EFI system has no ability to compensate for the increase in displacement. It only knows to calculate a load table based on knowing that "X" size engine & "Y" size injector needs "Z" size pulse width, being a narrow band EFI system it targets a predetermined AFR @WOT. What we are going to do to remedy this is install an adjustable fuel regulator as a simple way to compensate. On my Festiva, the B3 is putting out more than twice the stock HP & requires 62 PSI rail pressure to maintain 12.8-1 AFR at wide open throttle with the stock injectors.
                      Well, he's in good hands and I know you got him taken care of. I didn't mean to confuse the situation. I would like to hear more about the FPR and what you've done to tune these systems. I'm not sure exactly how this VAF system works....I always assumed since it uses a flapper door to measure air flow that it has a better abiliy to compensate for mods, as opposed to Speed Density. Many guys have used the adjustable spring/gears on the flapper door to adjust the AFR. I imagine this would be a global adjustment, but I don't know if it would have much or any effect @ WOT. It would be great if you (or anyone else "in the know") could lay down some tuning knowledge on this sometime.
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

• Matt, I just picked up another B6 head and intake from a 1991 Mazda 323 so that I would have a spare to play with later. I also took the instument cluster with the 140 mph speedo in it. It looks like it is about the same size and shape as the Aspire package. I will grab the ECU as well. Whether or not the Injector harness from the B6 plugs into an Aspire harness is something that is yet to be seen. I have a factory Ford Aspire shop manual for the 1995 Aspire, which is what the Smurf car is. I have all of the wiring diagrams etc so I should be able to do some cutting and spicing to make it work. This of course is a project for some time next Winter. I may even want you to do the head and intake as a project at some future time as well.

cortezit.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          IIRC he said the finished unit would be $300.... you add a flex pipe and flange to the cat.
                          that sounds about right really... just gotta get funds together... this whole thread really makes me want to pick up a spare head.

i take it contact is by phone mostly? not that theres anything wrong with that, ive just developed something of an aversion to phone conversations over the years (years that included several telemarketing jobs... so, yeah, aversion is a good word) once the us treasury gets my check to me i believe this will happen.

also, what is the pipe diameter after the collector? my car needs the whole exhaust, so im planning to make it, just need to know what size pipe to match it to.
                          Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                          Project Car Theorem:
                          If
                          a) w = all time
                          b) x = time spent at work
                          c) y = the number of project cars you have
                          d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

• ^^^^^ I guarantee you will enjoy talking with Matt on the phone. He's very easy to talk to and personable. I spoke with him for about an hour yesterday on the phone. Reminded me of the good old days when a bunch of us gearheads would gather in our shop on Friday night to drink beer and talk about engines.
                            Brian

Comment

• Yeah matt is really good to talk to, he explains things very well and is always willing to teach and help. My collector on my header is 2" which is what i have all the way back, im pretty dure he could do whatever size you would want though.

Comment

• Originally posted by woodyvw16v View Post
                                that sounds about right really... just gotta get funds together... this whole thread really makes me want to pick up a spare head.

i take it contact is by phone mostly? not that theres anything wrong with that, ive just developed something of an aversion to phone conversations over the years (years that included several telemarketing jobs... so, yeah, aversion is a good word) once the us treasury gets my check to me i believe this will happen.

also, what is the pipe diameter after the collector? my car needs the whole exhaust, so im planning to make it, just need to know what size pipe to match it to.
                                I will communicate however is convenient for you, besides, I just tell Jen what to type. For something like the purchase of the header it doesn't require a lot of back & forth communication. In the case like some of these other guys, where I am doing cams, cylinder heads & so on, I really prefer a phone conversation as it allows a more fluid dynamic, where at the end "you" understand what I can do for you & I understand what your expectations are in a span of just a few minutes. Sometimes thru e-mail this process seems to take days at a sentence at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X