Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I've been looking into upgrading my suspension lately. I too did not want to buy the full coilover set when I was only going to be using half of it. I just wanted to post two cheaper alternatives while basically doing the same thing.

VW mk2 front strut - $43.79: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=376&jsn=376
    VW mk1 rear strut - $31.79: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....503018&jsn=238

Rock Auto also has 2001 kia rio front strut mounts and the VW bumb stops

The only things I could not find better deals on were both springs and the coilover kit. If someone knows of better deals you should let me know, I'm a penny pincher!
    92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Comment

• You'll still need to get sleeves/adjusters for the front, and top spring hats. Then you'll need to cut off the existing spring perch. After all that, plus shipping on those shocks and you'll be within 50 bucks of the threaded body shocks. The quality and servicablity (the eBay coilovers can be rebuilt) of the threaded body coilovers is worth the extra 50 bucks. Not to mention you will have more adjustable travel with the threaded body shocks.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Dang I did not know that! Thanks for the info, seems like I am better off buying coilovers for the front even though I will be replacing the springs. In the post above you said, "According to Hot Tuning, they are the same part as the MK3 Golf front coilovers" so I found these VW golf mk3 front coilovers - $77.79: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....282036&jsn=449
        Will those work? I could not find caddy coilovers though I did not look very hard. Also there are "economy" coilovers, are those something to consider being $25 cheaper? Here's a link - $54.89: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....=1002&jsn=1002

After doing all that typing and looking I found golf mk2 front coilovers on Amazon - $96.88: https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-G5700.../dp/B005XH6PEK

Out of these I'm thinking best bet is mk2 coilovers from amazon.

Comment

• No, you want the threaded body coilovers that Hottuning sells. They are basically the same price as those standard non adjustable shocks your looking at. The shocks your looking at are essentially around 100 bucks a piece shipped. The Hot tuning coilovers are 200 for the pair, shipped. You aren't saving any money by looking for them on rockauto, your just finding the wrong shocks. You may need to email hottuning for the MK3 Caddy front coilovers. They don't always have them up on eBay because we didn't get that vehicle here in the U.S.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Thanks again! You are right and I am going to stop being a rebel and just buy the things that were specified for convenience in the guide

I'm surprised at how expensive 2001 Kia Rio front strut mounts have become since last year!

Comment

• Strut mounts are like penny stocks, buy low. The price fluctuates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Strut mounts are like penny stocks, buy low. The price fluctuates.
                What is a decent or low price for them?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Listen to Charlie = win win situation
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    What is a decent or low price for them?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                    I think i paid like 20$ each on ebau or something. I know u can shop around tho. Try rockauto, ebay, amazon, local autoparts store.
                    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      You'll still need to get sleeves/adjusters for the front, and top spring hats. Then you'll need to cut off the existing spring perch. After all that, plus shipping on those shocks and you'll be within 50 bucks of the threaded body shocks. The quality and servicablity (the eBay coilovers can be rebuilt) of the threaded body coilovers is worth the extra 50 bucks. Not to mention you will have more adjustable travel with the threaded body shocks.
                      In addition to this the mk3 KYB struts are about 1" to 2" longer when fully compressed than the hottuning coil overs. I had a set of each and did some side by side comparisons about 6 months ago. I don't think I have any pictures but if I have the coilovers off my car this winter I will get some pictures.

Comment

• Spend the money once buddy! Get the kit! You can change it up a bit and try something new if you want. The kit however is amazing. Its so so good man. The festiva handles better then anything on this kit. I had like 500$ in the kit before i sold some non used parts.

Its the best 500$ i have ever spent moding a car.
                        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• The lowest I've gotten the strut mounts was 14 a piece from Rockauto about 2 years ago. I stocked up and bought 20 of them. I'm out now though, lol. 20 a piece is a good price. The Monroe parts seem to be lower priced than the KYB, and a decent quality part.

Comment

• Man you have no idea how excited I am to do this! When I put my foot on my bumper to tie my shoe the car goes down so much! I was trying to go a cheaper route and I'm just gonna stop trying to do that and get the kit.

Can you only use the 2001 kia rio front strut mount and not any other years? I assume so but if you can get others I can look more!

Comment

• Originally posted by blake4591 View Post
                              In addition to this the mk3 KYB struts are about 1" to 2" longer when fully compressed than the hottuning coil overs. I had a set of each and did some side by side comparisons about 6 months ago. I don't think I have any pictures but if I have the coilovers off my car this winter I will get some pictures.
                              This is one of the big reasons to choose The threaded body coilovers. The valving of the Hottuning shocks is also better matched to the spring rates that I suggest. If you change the dampeners, then you'll have to also accommodate with the springs.

The parts that I've suggested are not just a list of crap that kinda works to lower the car. This list is the result of 4 years and over 200k miles of testing on everything from road race tracks to back trails through the blue ridge mountain range. This setup has been tested and improved through a rigorous process. The chassis balance and vehicle comfort have been the main goal in all this testing. I've been setting up suspension systems for over 20 years now, and this setup is the result of that experience and passion for a balanced and compliant chassis. The Festiva is one of the best handling vehicles I've come across and that's why I've devoted so much time and effort to dialing this in. To put things in perspective, my Festiva regularly posts much faster lap times around many road courses than high dollar sports cars with custom built suspension from Ohlins, Penskee, JRZ and Moton. Even my own high dollar sports car with custom tuned brand name coilovers can't hold a line anything like my Festiva with this suspension. It's really that good. I don't get any kickbacks from any of the suppliers that I suggest, and I don't sell any of this stuff. I simply want more people to have this experience. If you cut corners on this setup, you are assuming that I didn't try my hardest to make this cheaper. I have tried to make this as cheap as possible, and that's why I freely give all the information to build these kits, and I don't try to hide this stuff so that I can profit. In fact, I tried buying a bunch of parts in bulk and building the kits to sell to people to save more money, but it ended up costing me so much time that I can't justify doing it again. This is the bottom line, right here. This is not "race car only" suspension. It improves the ride and handling and safety of any Festiva. My only warning is that the rear MK1 shocks are not good for washboard dirt roads. Don't exceed 45mph on washboard dirt roads unless you are a very experienced drifter.

End Rant
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-16-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Advancedynamix thank you for all your time and effort you put into Festivas and for posting information and advice on here for the public. I have seen your videos, threads, photo album, and gotten responses from you on here and I really admire your work and your Festivas! I can't wait to do things to my car that would not be possible without your help. Keep on rockin!

Comment

Working...
                                X