Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Street suspension guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Still apples and bananas, I know. 10" vs 12", small diameter spring vs large diameter spring, small coil stock vs much heaver coil stock, high energy density vs much lower energy density. But at 12% difference, I thought it worth a try. Scratch the 12%, there is a square function in the density formula. but the spring frequency should be within 12% or so, and the loaded ride height (and associated bump and rebound travel) are about right.

    Just not sure why it works!
    Last edited by Dragonhealer; 12-23-2016, 03:51 PM.
    No car too fast !

    Comment


    • I was only saying that comparing 2 completely different spring designs by the pressure rating confuses the issue. A bulk of the questions I get concerning peoples suspension setup is based on this confusion that spring rate numbers are the only thing to consider when choosing a spring. The only reason I can recommend the rates that I do with the Southwest speed springs, is because I've tested everything from 105-200 lb of their particular spring product on several Festivas. That doesn't mean I know what x (insert other random kind of spring) will behave like on x (insert other random shock absorber). When people use my spring rate suggestions to select other springs to put on another type of shock, they are on their own. I can only vouch for the products I have personally tested.
      The Miata springs you have been using seem to work great with the stock replacement KYB aspire shocks that you have been using. They may also work with the VW mk1 kyb shocks, except you won't have enough tire clearance for the large tires that you run. I theorize that a set of 150lb Southwest speed springs on the VW KYB shocks will work as well, or better than the setup your running, but we won't know until you try it. I fear that this setup will have too low a ride height for your liking though. The 150lb 1 7/8 springs on stock replacement KYB shocks are a little bouncy. That is what is on Tweak, and you've seen the difference first hand on a track. Towing a trailer may not yeild the same results though.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

      Comment


      • I think you are right to both, will machine up a pair of tophats to compensate for the shorter spring. Anxious to see the difference with the VW shock.
        The extra advantage of lowering the rear when unladen would be cool too!
        Last edited by Dragonhealer; 12-24-2016, 09:59 PM.
        No car too fast !

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          I was only saying that comparing 2 completely different spring designs by the pressure rating confuses the issue. A bulk of the questions I get concerning peoples suspension setup is based on this confusion that spring rate numbers are the only thing to consider when choosing a spring. The only reason I can recommend the rates that I do with the Southwest speed springs, is because I've tested everything from 105-200 lb of their particular spring product on several Festivas. That doesn't mean I know what x (insert other random kind of spring) will behave like on x (insert other random shock absorber). When people use my spring rate suggestions to select other springs to put on another type of shock, they are on their own. I can only vouch for the products I have personally tested.
          The Miata springs you have been using seem to work great with the stock replacement KYB aspire shocks that you have been using. They may also work with the VW mk1 kyb shocks, except you won't have enough tire clearance for the large tires that you run. I theorize that a set of 150lb Southwest speed springs on the VW KYB shocks will work as well, or better than the setup your running, but we won't know until you try it. I fear that this setup will have too low a ride height for your liking though. The 150lb 1 7/8 springs on stock replacement KYB shocks are a little bouncy. That is what is on Tweak, and you've seen the difference first hand on a track. Towing a trailer may not yeild the same results though.
          Quick question this doesn't relate to the quote I'm using but you shortened the length of the shock what 3"? How did you shorten this the bit of info I just can't find

          Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
          Festiver
          93 L find/5 speed
          BP/g15mr swapped
          Aspire brake swapped
          Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
          stripped and sold due to rust

          89 festie
          rustful
          maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

          93 festie
          advanced suspension
          kai/skeeter camber
          b3t/g15mr

          I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Festiver View Post
            Quick question this doesn't relate to the quote I'm using but you shortened the length of the shock what 3"? How did you shorten this the bit of info I just can't find

            Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
            Most of the info in this thread is obsolete. The current technique is to use the rear struts for a mk1 VW rabbit/golf. They are already shorter.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              Most of the info in this thread is obsolete. The current technique is to use the rear struts for a mk1 VW rabbit/golf. They are already shorter.
              Yes but I thought he took an additional 3" out of the mk1 kybs and the mk2 coilovers


              Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
              Festiver
              93 L find/5 speed
              BP/g15mr swapped
              Aspire brake swapped
              Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
              stripped and sold due to rust

              89 festie
              rustful
              maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

              93 festie
              advanced suspension
              kai/skeeter camber
              b3t/g15mr

              I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Festiver View Post
                Yes but I thought he took an additional 3" out of the mk1 kybs and the mk2 coilovers


                Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                No that was the festiva struts he originally used. That's what's been bothering me about this thread.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  No that was the festiva struts he originally used. That's what's been bothering me about this thread.
                  Ohhh alright cool that's what I was worried about and what do you mean it's a little bit of a mess but still good info



                  Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Festiver
                  93 L find/5 speed
                  BP/g15mr swapped
                  Aspire brake swapped
                  Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                  stripped and sold due to rust

                  89 festie
                  rustful
                  maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

                  93 festie
                  advanced suspension
                  kai/skeeter camber
                  b3t/g15mr

                  I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

                  Comment


                  • Like Brad said, the VW rear shocks are shorter and don't require that mod.
                    On the KYB Aspire shocks, yes I shorten them 3“. I cut the shafts up by the locator bushing for the bump stop. I cut 3 inches out of the shaft, then drill and tap both parts /⁴-28 and use a stud to hold them together and I tig weld the shaft back together.



                    These are pictures of a set of Tein coilovers that I shortened, so the shaft looks different than the KYB Aspire shocks, but the procedure is the same.

                    The MK2 rear coilovers are not worth using unless you want to lift your Festiva. The shock bodies themselves are way too long.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-02-2017, 01:17 PM.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Like Brad said, the VW rear shocks are shorter and don't require that mod.
                      On the KYB Aspire shocks, yes I shorten them 3. I cut the shafts up by the locator bushing for the bump stop. I cut 3 inches out of the shaft, then drill and tap both parts /⁴-28 and use a stud to hold them together and I tig weld the shaft back together.



                      These are pictures of a set of Tein coilovers that I shortened, so the shaft looks different than the KYB Aspire shocks, but the procedure is the same.

                      The MK2 rear coilovers are not worth using unless you want to lift your Festiva. The shock bodies themselves are way too long.
                      Ohh ok cool cool nah I thought you shortened the mk2 fronts and the mk1 rears even more glad you didn't because I'd be worried of messing it up

                      Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                      Festiver
                      93 L find/5 speed
                      BP/g15mr swapped
                      Aspire brake swapped
                      Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                      stripped and sold due to rust

                      89 festie
                      rustful
                      maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

                      93 festie
                      advanced suspension
                      kai/skeeter camber
                      b3t/g15mr

                      I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

                      Comment


                      • I am buying a full second set of this suspension! It will go on my new bpt festiva/b6t. One set on each car. Right now my 1st set is on overkill so this set is lined up for lucifer.
                        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

                        Comment


                        • Is there a coilovers "spanner wrench" that's needed for use with the Southwest Speed coilovers sleeve kit to adjust ride height?

                          Or are all height adjustments made with the rear end dropped/sagging and struts unloaded?

                          Comment


                          • Preload and hight adjustments should always be made with the suspension unloaded. Otherwise you run the chance of galling the acme threads. Plus, it's much more difficult when the springs are loaded.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

                            currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

                            Comment


                            • ^ what Arty said. They actually are desiged to lock when the load of the car is on them. That is why you don't need a retaining (Lock nut) with that style of sleeve.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-05-2017, 02:51 PM.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

                              Comment


                              • I am very appreciative and thankful for this thread, but I am a bit upset. I assumed this was parts list was copy and paste from what Charlie does.

                                This front spring is 12" while in Charlie's thread it is 10". I now cannot achieve the ride height I wanted. With the collar all the way down and the shock length adjustment I cannot go lower than 3" fender to tire gap. Partially my fault for not doing thorough research. Please note this in your original post.
                                91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                                14 C7 Z51

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X