This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
    It looks like summit springs are 50$ each-100$ for the pair. I got them from southwest speed for 39.98$ each. 79$ a pair.
    Okay my bad. Thought that was per spring.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

That is a great deal. I need to look on amazon more often. I always forget about it. I normaly have such good luck on ebay tho. The top hats have been the only thing in the last 6 years that have been an issue for me.
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

That is a great deal. I need to look on amazon more often. I always forget about it. I normaly have such good luck on ebay tho. The top hats have been the only thing in the last 6 years that have been an issue for me.
        Yeah I have found things on Amazon that were cheaper than rock auto believe it or not. And I have found things on Amazon that weren't even on rock auto haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          Great writeup. I love the use of using the rear spring perch as the spring top isolator.
          That is cool. I will try that when I do my Bilsteins next spring.

+1 on the great writeup! :-)
          Last edited by TominMO; 12-28-2015, 07:04 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

old vs new parts
            Is the top hat for the new front strut used at all for anything?

Comment

Yes! The top hat was used as a top hat. I used the front coilovers as they came (aside from springs and hole mods). Top hat fit nicely over the rod. The rod fit nicely into the strut mount.
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Yes! The top hat was used as a top hat. I used the front coilovers as they came (aside from springs and hole mods). Top hat fit nicely over the rod. The rod fit nicely into the strut mount.
                Good write up Mike, how did the top of the new aluminum Hat mate with new upper Rio Mount (Bearing)?
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Seems fine to me. Car turns so much better than before. So I guess it's working

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

In the past I have used a washer between the front top hats and the Kia Rio strut bearing, just to distribute the load over a wider surface. This was just a precautionary measure taken from years of experience with coilover suspension on strut vehicles. All the spring weight is being supported by the inner shoulder of the strut mount bearing to spring hat thrust sufface. Aluminum is softer than the steel washer, so it is more apt to compress. If it compresses then there could be a slight amount of binding as the hat would then contact the outer bearing race. I tend to over engineer everything though. Lol
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

^^ overkill is underrated!
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Great right up, question how to achieve negative camber at the rear. I know advance had made a plate, was wondering if any one had tried that mod. Can alignment shims any good for this?

Sent from my 6043A using Tapatalk
                        JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                        I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

Originally posted by alpaccino View Post
                          Great right up, question how to achieve negative camber at the rear. I know advance had made a plate, was wondering if any one had tried that mod. Can alignment shims any good for this?

gotta use washers under the spindle.
                          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

how about ride height how much does that change any before vs after, camber still set to zero? or is it egative

Comment

Originally posted by alpaccino View Post

gotta use washers under the spindle.
                              Recently bought alignment shims for the rear, code 75200....

We were fixing a problem of 1 inch of toe in, and changed the camber by zero. Very easy to use. I like them better than using a washer just because there is full contact.
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I bought 4 of these! I'm looking for -3 on the rear on race days

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X