Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ also why we've been looking into removing the front sway bar all together.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Rear alignment is a pain even with the shims I make. It's just one of those trial and error deals that takes a long time. I never mass produced the shims because they only work if you set the ride height very close to where I have it when I make them. Negative camber translates into toe in as the rear gets lower, the more angle, the more this is true. Also, rake will do the same thing. There is no easy cure for a good alignment in the rear. I would keep a stack of those plastic Moog shims handy if you're going that route. Chances are you'll need to re adjust, and those are a one shot deal.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Screenshot (1) by Joseph King, on Flickr

I know the angle is oriented wrong and I have to slot the holes but im getting closer.
        Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          I would keep a stack of those plastic Moog shims handy if you're going that route. Chances are you'll need to re adjust, and those are a one shot deal.
          As in they deform too much to reuse?
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• You looking for something like this Shore?

Just need to talk them into buying another 4axis capable mill... been swamped with parts the past 6+ months and haven't got the time in to knock some out.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

• Awww you suck wanw I've been working all weekend on that lol. Is that for a aspire beam or a festiva beam?

This is for a aspire beam. I was going to have my cousin take it into his college library and print it out. (3d printers are free for student use lol) I want to make sure my dimensions are correct,
              [IMG]Screenshot (3) by Joseph King, on Flickr[/IMG]
              Last edited by shorestiva; 10-23-2016, 06:04 PM.

Way too many cars

Comment

• Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                As in they deform too much to reuse?
                You have to trim them to fit the studs and stay in the correct place. So if you don't get it right in the first try you have to pull it back out and trim it again then it won't stay centered where you want it. Our alignment machine at work will tell you where to trim it and position it but that is only accurate if you're at stock ride height.

Way too many cars

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                  You looking for something like this Shore?

Just need to talk them into buying another 4axis capable mill... been swamped with parts the past 6+ months and haven't got the time in to knock some out.
                  Awesome stuff here guys! I'm sick of making these for my cars. They take me a long time to set up. I'd much rather buy them.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                    Awww you suck wanw I've been working all weekend on that lol. Is that for a aspire beam or a festiva beam?
                    Both. The upper slots are wide enough to accommodate both Festiva and Aspire bolt patterns. The real question in my mind is if the adjustment range will be OK for both Festiva and Aspire beams, at a "normal" lowered to ~21" fender height, the beams make different angles and probably different toe/camber settings.

I use Sketchup at home for modeling simple stuff to be 3D printed, but it's really a pain to work with. The solidworks model probably took me 30minutes and is much easier to edit the base sketch etc than in sketchup.

Oh yea, I printed some prototypes out too... great minds, right? helps that I have a 3D printer on my desk at work.
                    Aspire:

Festiva:
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

• Those printed parts should be strong enough to test fit.

Comment

• I'm using sketchup because it's free fiddy free lol. It's my first time using any kind of cad software so I'm learning as I go.

You need a guinea pig? I have a aspire beam, a festiva beam and a alignment rack.

Way too many cars

Comment

• Is Charlie recommending the Caddy Struts up front rather than the previously highlighted Mk2 vw coilovers?
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                            Is Charlie recommending the Caddy Struts up front rather than the previously highlighted Mk2 vw coilovers?
                            I think others have started to use the caddy struts because they came in a kit with just the front. They have said the caddy struts work just fine. I am not sure if the valving is the same tho. It might be different.
                            1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                            1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                            1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                            19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• Make sure it's mk3 caddy. VW only imported the MK1 Caddy to the U.S., but those won't fit a Festiva. So you're buying front coilovers for a vehicle that wasn't imported into this country. MK3 VW Caddy (that's the Golf Pickup truck.)
                              Chances are pretty good that the valving is the same, since they probably use the same inserts in all these coilovers. There was 1 member who used these and complained that they were riding on the bump stops at the ride height that he wanted, but not much else has been said. According to Hot Tuning, they are the same part as the MK3 Golf front coilovers. I have not ordered them this way myself, so I'm only giving a colaberative of second hand info.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• ^ 10-4 I like the fact that I'm only buying the fronts only.
                                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                                X