Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm now using 12" 120lb springs on the front of my setup as well. I think there is a write up that fell in between my original write up and Mike's write up that details the new setup. Sorry for the confusion. I've gotta take the time to clean all this info up into 1 basic article. I haven't done that because things are still being developed and new ideas are being implemented.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Any further thoughts or progress on the ball joint lowering blocks?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
        I am very appreciative and thankful for this thread, but I am a bit upset. I assumed this was parts list was copy and paste from what Charlie does.

This front spring is 12" while in Charlie's thread it is 10". I now cannot achieve the ride height I wanted. With the collar all the way down and the shock length adjustment I cannot go lower than 3" fender to tire gap. Partially my fault for not doing thorough research. Please note this in your original post.

What sprig rates are you running?
        I have 150 # 12 inch and with my springs preloaded to 10 inch my 165/55/14's only have an inch gap .
        I am running a b6d with g series moved forward but
        120 springs with stock engine and trans should let you go really low.
        Last edited by william; 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Any further thoughts or progress on the ball joint lowering blocks?
          The Capri knuckles do this without the blocks.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by william View Post
            What sprig rates are you running?
            I have 150 # 12 inch and with my springs preloaded to 10 inch my 165/55/14's only have an inch gap .
            I am running a b6d with g series moved forward but
            120 springs with stock engine and trans should let you go really low.
            I chose 150lb with the stock engine and tranny in preparation for the the eventual swap. I thought preload was just set by having the suspension fully unloaded and then just tightening it to keep the spring set compressed. If anyone better information I would appreciate it
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              The Capri knuckles do this without the blocks.
              But you run aspire knuckles...
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
                I chose 150lb with the stock engine and tranny in preparation for the the eventual swap. I thought preload was just set by having the suspension fully unloaded and then just tightening it to keep the spring set compressed. If anyone better information I would appreciate it
                Have you tried running the shock tube all the way through the lower mount and putting the lock nut on the bottom?
                No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                  Have you tried running the shock tube all the way through the lower mount and putting the lock nut on the bottom?
                  Thank you Dragonhealer! That's all it took to get the ride height I wanted. Saved me $100.
                  91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                  14 C7 Z51

Comment

• So I feel really dumb but im putting this together and I'm trying to figure out how to install the bump stops. It doesnt seem like they easily fit into the spring or easily go over the little nut at the top of the shock absorber easily. Do I just force the bump stop that came with the shock over that little nut thing and then the vw bump stop? also does the vw bump stop go bigger side up or down? sorry for the obvious questions lol.
                    Last edited by fudge; 03-03-2017, 07:34 PM.
                    92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Comment

• Originally posted by fudge View Post
                      So I feel really dumb but im putting this together and I'm trying to figure out how to install the bump stops. It doesnt seem like they easily fit into the spring or easily go over the little nut at the top of the shock absorber easily. Do I just force the bump stop that came with the shock over that little nut thing and then the vw bump stop? also does the vw bump stop go bigger side up or down? sorry for the obvious questions lol.
                      I cut off the largest bulb on the end of the bump stops. Helped it fit in the spring. I forced mine on the shaft but I imagine you could drill out the center of the bump stop a bit if you wanted to.
                      1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
                      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
                      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

• I ground mine down with a bench grinder. I inserted a drill bit and applied just enough pressure to allow it to spin a little for a perfectly circular grind. It fits in the recess of the threads as well as within the spring. I will take a pic, since it's hard to explain.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-03-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fudge View Post
                          So I feel really dumb but im putting this together and I'm trying to figure out how to install the bump stops. It doesnt seem like they easily fit into the spring or easily go over the little nut at the top of the shock absorber easily. Do I just force the bump stop that came with the shock over that little nut thing and then the vw bump stop? also does the vw bump stop go bigger side up or down? sorry for the obvious questions lol.
                          Originally posted by TWFodor View Post
                          I cut off the largest bulb on the end of the bump stops. Helped it fit in the spring. I forced mine on the shaft but I imagine you could drill out the center of the bump stop a bit if you wanted to.
                          That's what I did too. I cut the largest lobe off of the vw bumpstop with a hacksaw. Then I pressed real hard and it will slip past that little nub. Then I added the new kyb black one on top of that. The top of the black bumpstop stopped flush at the top the nub, so it didn't have to slip past it like the white vw one did.
                          It's also mentioned on page 14 post#132 of this thread.

Last edited by wwwdotgov; 03-04-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• I put the black down first then the whit on top .
                            I don't think it really matters.
                            I also cut off the biggest bump but you can grind it down like stated above this will put you on the bump stops earlier and if you want a low ride height you maybe on the stops all the time.
                            Here's a shot of mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

• I wouldn't put the black down first. It's stuck inside the coilover sleeve on my setup and makes noise at low speeds. I've been lazy and haven't bothered to fix it yet lol.
                              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

• There is no right or wrong way to put the bump stops on. It's okay to force them down over the register bushing on the shaft (the black KYB ones will go over that welded on bushing, if you push hard enough (I've done it about 40 times now)
                                If your shocks are making squeaky or grinding noises then you may have the top nuts too tight. The top rubber bushings only need to be squished a little bit (how much really depends on how old and hard your bushings are). If those top nuts are too tight, the shock can't articulate enough, and it will bend and flex the shock shaft. Those shocks go back and forth a lot when the car is being driven. That top mount NEEDS to flex easily.
                                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-04-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X