This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
    I chose 150lb with the stock engine and tranny in preparation for the the eventual swap. I thought preload was just set by having the suspension fully unloaded and then just tightening it to keep the spring set compressed. If anyone better information I would appreciate it
    Preload is important on these springs. When you have your BP/G in the car, you should have those springs preloaded about 3-4", for a total installed height of 8-9". You don't want the car to be slammed for track work. The Festiva handles it's best about 1-1.5" lower than stock. Any lower and it handles poorly.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      But you run aspire knuckles...
      Yes, and I can't lower the car much for track driving. The rear beam angle is a problem at the same time as the sway bar angle. The chassis is pretty dialed in at 1" overall drop. To make it happy any lower, you'd need to get a little more creative than Capri knuckles.

They do look cool all slammed down though, and I'm guilty as charged for running all "stanced out" for daily life. On the track though, I run it where the chassis is happy. These things handle so well, that they are quick even when set up for show.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-04-2017, 12:20 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• so my friend has a 2010 mini cooper base and I offered him my extra front springs and rear coilovers before thinking if they would actually work on his car? I couldnt find the info on the web so I decided to ask the experts
        92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Comment

• Dragonhealer is the only guy I know who could answer that, as he has access to a Mini Cooper race car, and the Mk2 VW coikovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            The chassis is pretty dialed in at 1" overall drop. To make it happy any lower, you'd need to get a little more creative than Capri knuckles.

They do look cool all slammed down though, and I'm guilty as charged for running all "stanced out" for daily life. On the track though, I run it where the chassis is happy. These things handle so well, that they are quick even when set up for show.
            Thats good to know. I was trying to mimic the ride height of Pedro on the street.
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

• Hey guys so im trying to remove the strut rod nuts from the back passenger side on the inside of the car. When I turn the wrench the strut is spinning too. I tried clamping the strut and the bottom nut to stop it from spinning but that doesn't seem to be working. What should I do?

Comment

• The top of the strut rod should have a flat spot for holding it from spinning. If the struts are junk vice grip the shaft from underneath if there good don't use the vice grips they will mare the shaft.
                Last edited by william; 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• I assume you mean the top end of the strut. Depending on the brand of strut, you should be able to put a flat head screw driver, a small ~8 mm wrench or an allen key in the top end of the strut rod, or on the top end of the strut rod, and then work that against your force on the wrench on the nut.

If you are removing the strut to replace it and do not care about it, then you can grab the top silvery portion of the strut rod, that slides in and out, with vice grips inside the wheel well to stop it spinning. However, that will damage the strut and mean you can not re-use it.
                  Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                  Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• Also apply some PB Blaster to the threads and use an Impact. The hammering motion usually works, if not like they stated about Grab the Strut shaft with Vice Grips and then try again if you don't plan on using them again. IF that doesn't work then you probably just take an angle grinder the the shaft and just pull the shaft out of the top.
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Thanks for the quick response guys! I was trying to vise the strut but I guess I was too wimpy because I just got it off! woop

Comment

• I heard it still works if you leave the vice grips on the strut shaft...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                          I heard it still works if you leave the vice grips on the strut shaft...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                          Yeah, just acts as a new bump stop! A little Noisy though...:grin:
                          Last edited by firebush357; 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM.
                          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                          sigpic
                          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Apparently not noisy enough to notice for a few years.... right Scitzzz??
                            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

• Never noticed a thing.
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

• I stripped the lower strut mount bolt even with an impact driver! I was using a 9/16 socket because its the only one for the impact that fit. now my best bet is to weld a new nut to it? blehhhh

Comment

Working...
                                X