No announcement yet.

Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian, this project has great momentum. I admire your ability to stay on task. It sounds like you've got some loving moral support helping you out too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

• More goodies arrived today....

This will wrap the coolant crossover pipe as recommended by Charlie.

Shout out to JB'S Power Center in Edmonton, AB. Order placed late on Friday and arrived around noon today and that is with free shipping (in Canada anyway)!
      Last edited by fastivaca; 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• It's starting to look like a car again! Dashboard is back in!!!

Thanks to Bravekozak for the really nice Ford emblem... hardly a blemish on it.

I was hoping to get the carpet in but had to pull the dash because I forgot to plug the dash harness into the main one. Oops! I'm getting pretty quick at dash removal now 😊
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• Very nice!
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• I wanted to keep the stock oil light and put in an oil pressure gauge. Here's a mock up of the little manifold I made up so I can use both senders. The stock one is the smaller one on the end. There will be a brace down to an existing bolt hole in the block.

Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• I agree but make sure it is a good brace!
              No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                I agree but make sure it is a good brace!
                I'll probably run one brace up and another down.
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Wow, thats long! Does it need to be that long? And why such a big sender? I installed a tee for my sender and pressure gauge last night, it was half that length and i was worried about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    Wow, thats long! Does it need to be that long? And why such a big sender? I installed a tee for my sender and pressure gauge last night, it was half that length and i was worried about it...

Needs to be that long to clear the oil cooler thing on the B6T. As I mentioned it will be well braced both up and down. The large sender is for the VDO electric gauge that I picked up a long time ago.

I'll post a pic tomorrow with it installed on the engine.

On another note...

The dash is in along with the heater controls, stereo and instrument cluster. Carpet is back in along with all the rear panels. Front and rear seats are in as well. I upgraded the back seat to the split one out of an LX and used the Toyota MR2 front seats I had in the red car. I changed out all the bulbs in the instrument cluster and I think I may have broken one of the needle stops for the gas gauge so that will have to come out again.

I'm going to work on the wiring for the added instruments while I'm at it as well. This dash was in my red car so the wiring for the clock is already there.

More photos will come tomorrow sometime if all goes well otherwise it will be early next week.

Cheers

Ian
                    Last edited by fastivaca; 02-04-2016, 08:22 PM.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• I think that manifold is going to run straight out and hit the large vertical brace for the intake manifold Ian. I had a far shorter one, and had a lot of trouble with clearing the brace. Although it did just clear, by being short enough, it was super annoying to disconnect it whenever I had to pull the engine or tighten it for leaks. I recently switched to running a line out to higher up the fire wall and installing a manifold there.
                      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• If you run a line into a sensor, just use the port on the oil pump. It's got a socket head pipe plug in it and it's right under the alternaror. That port is a common pipe thread, so it's easy to use. I can't remember if it's 1/4 or 1/8 npt, but it's an easy thread to find, rather than that JIP thread up on the block.

Here is the port I'm talking about. I'm using it to prelube the engine before start up in this picture.
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-05-2016, 08:38 AM.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
                          I think that manifold is going to run straight out and hit the large vertical brace for the intake manifold Ian. I had a far shorter one, and had a lot of trouble with clearing the brace. Although it did just clear, by being short enough, it was super annoying to disconnect it whenever I had to pull the engine or tighten it for leaks. I recently switched to running a line out to higher up the fire wall and installing a manifold there.
                          I did that on my civic, ran a line out and bolted a manifold to my strut tower. Had 4 ports there, oil sender, oil press gauge, bypass filter outlet, oil sample port. Worked good. I switched it out for a sandwich adapter. Pressure gauge on bottom of picture, temp sensor on right, oil sender upper right and bypass filter very top. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454689928.276446.jpg
                          But the manifold on the strut tower worked real well, just ended up putting a coolant filter there. But im sure you could find room somewhere!

Comment

• This is what i used. 1 port in and 5 out, plus one hole to bolt it to whatever. All 1/8npt. Obviously you dont need one that big, but you can see how small they are and how it would fit anywhere.
                            ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454697528.746077.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454697562.009777.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                              This is what i used. 1 port in and 5 out, plus one hole to bolt it to whatever. All 1/8npt. Obviously you dont need one that big, but you can see how small they are and how it would fit anywhere.
                              [ATTACH]19187[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19188[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the photo Ryan. Did you buy that or was it something you made or had made?

Ian
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Well i tried to make one, but i used a chunk off the crankshaft cradle of a honda. Drilled and tapped for my 1/8 ports and hooked it up but it leaked everywhere because the aluminum was so incredibly pourous! The amount of air in that aluminum when you cut it was insane. It would weep right through and it leaked around my threads. So my boss felt sorry for me and let me use that one in the picture. We have a bunch of them but he doesnt remember where he got them. They are for pneumatic application but obviously work for oil. If you go to a machine shop or metal supply place you can probably get a chunk of non pourous aluminum and make your own. Would be quite easy if you had a good drill press with a good vice and a set of taps. Or look at local places that specialize in hydraulic or pneumatic fittings. Red-L, greenline, graingier, greggs distributors... Is where i would look in edmonton. Maybe princess auto but i doubt it. I looked on ebay but they cost a lot -$33... Search for 1/8 npt manifold.

Comment

Working...
                                X