Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

• Mike (Sasquatch) and I (mostly him) installed my new heater core and my double thick radiator (which I picked up for $20 at Pick-a-part!).

Now I get AMAZING HEAT!

Thanks Mike!

Comment

• Sweet relief huh? Watch your MPG. I'm curious to see if it is effected. Engine temps effect mpg.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Yeah I was thinking that too, but it is hard to tell what would be effecting mpg right now for several reasons.

1. It is getting colder here and rainy
          2. I now have my studded 155/80 winters, which only go to 35psi (rather than the 45psi in the 145 all seasons)
          3. Right now I am only driving one tank a month with a lot of city driving.
          4. My Kamm-back is sagging from a snowfall, lol......

In January I will be back at UBC for my final courses, and will be driving 600+ miles a week and mostly HWY, so I will get some good data then!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darlo View Post
            Yeah I was thinking that too, but it is hard to tell what would be effecting mpg right now for several reasons.

1. It is getting colder here and rainy
            2. I now have my studded 155/80 winters, which only go to 35psi (rather than the 45psi in the 145 all seasons)
            3. Right now I am only driving one tank a month with a lot of city driving.
            4. My Kamm-back is sagging from a snowfall, lol......

In January I will be back at UBC for my final courses, and will be driving 600+ miles a week and mostly HWY, so I will get some good data then!
            Are you able to order more of these heater cores at the same price?

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
            -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

• Yup unless you thought I was saying the heater core was $20 (the rad was $20, lol), The core was $108 + tax = $121 (You would need to pay first though, as it is special order)

Gerry's Automotive
              604-826-0519
              Talk to Curtis in parts, as he is the one that got it in for me.

I could even pick it up for you as I live close to Gerry's. Just let me know.
              Last edited by Darlo; 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Darlo, you running a grill block?
                Only the "vents" in my bumper let air into the engine compartment and through the radiator.
                Seems to help warm-up faster and retain heat longer as well as reduce wind noise in the cabin. Mines not unobtrusive though, but seems to work well.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  Darlo, you running a grill block?
                  Only the "vents" in my bumper let air into the engine compartment and through the radiator.
                  Seems to help warm-up faster and retain heat longer as well as reduce wind noise in the cabin. Mines not unobtrusive though, but seems to work well.
                  Not at the moment, although I have in the past. My core was SO plugged that there was barely any heat no matter what I did! Now it is so roasty toasty that I will only have to block the grill when it gets really cold (-10C/14F)

Comment

• Originally posted by Darlo View Post
                    Not at the moment, although I have in the past. My core was SO plugged that there was barely any heat no matter what I did! Now it is so roasty toasty that I will only have to block the grill when it gets really cold (-10C/14F)
                    I don't run it for heat, mine seems to be working fine, I do it to reduce the amount of excess air flowing through the engine compartment. I run mine year round except when temps approach 90°F+!
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• Yes I think I will do this too as it does create extra drag!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        I don't run it for heat, mine seems to be working fine, I do it to reduce the amount of excess air flowing through the engine compartment. I run mine year round except when temps approach 90°F+!
                        Do you have pictures or details?
                        I may be looking into a grille block this winter if a new thermostat doesn't warm things up.
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Blew the engine!

Ok, that was yesterday, actually. Spun bearing, I suppose. Spare engine goes in this week, then the car goes for final inspection, and should be getting delivered to it's new owner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                            Do you have pictures or details?
                            I may be looking into a grille block this winter if a new thermostat doesn't warm things up.
                            Sure will get some pics, it's nothing elaborate or even refined.
                            But seems to do the job.
                            I think a lot of wasted effort has been put into the thermostat, in some cases it did help, but I believe poor heat in the cabin is a heater core issue, and the temp gage in the cluster is a poor indicator of engine temp.
                            If you can get low to mid 40"s MPG wise, there is nothing wrong with your thermostat.
                            I fixed my gage by cleaning the sensor contact, cutting off the wired connector and soldering the wire directly to the sensor.
                            Response, range, and sensitivity all increased.
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• My MPG is upper 30s.
                              Temp gauge would sit about middle in summer. Now it is usually around the bottom line of the arc. My heat is adequate.

Izzystiva however has very little heat and we have flushed the heater core.
                              That car also takes FOREVER to warm up according to the temp gauge. Doesn't get very warm when the car is moving, either.

I guess I will start with the temp sensor connector.
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Interior work, sound deadening

The other day we pressure washed the carpet, and are in process of coating the inside with Peel-N-Seal.
                                Last edited by mikeohlh; 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X