Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my hot cleaned parts from the machine shop and the hot wash didn't even get some of the stuff left on there by the Dawn Power Dissolver. Now if Matt will send my HLA shims and header, it can go back together..... I really want to drive it to Madness.
    Jack Byrd,
    1991 Capri
    1988 Festiva LX, 240K
    1970 Chev C10
    1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• ^^ Let the DPD sit for a minimum of 30 minutes and then use a brush to agitate it and break everything loose. The key to DPD is patients, if you just spray it on, brush it around, and rinse off it doesn't do much. If you wait 20-30 minutes before brushing, that's when the magic happens

For really nasty stuff it sometimes requires 2 treatments and you need to let the parts dry between applications so the water doesn't dilute the DPD or create a boundary layer. The only thing I've ever seen that requires more than 2 applications is REALLY BAD carbon deposits in exhaust runners.

I don't even hot tank parts anymore because I still had to use Dawn to get off stuff that the hot tank left on. I skip it now and go straight to the good stuff :mrgreen:
      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
        ^^ Let the DPD sit for a minimum of 30 minutes and then use a brush to agitate it and break everything loose. The key to DPD is patients, if you just spray it on, brush it around, and rinse off it doesn't do much. If you wait 20-30 minutes before brushing, that's when the magic happens

For really nasty stuff it sometimes requires 2 treatments and you need to let the parts dry between applications so the water doesn't dilute the DPD or create a boundary layer. The only thing I've ever seen that requires more than 2 applications is REALLY BAD carbon deposits in exhaust runners.

I don't even hot tank parts anymore because I still had to use Dawn to get off stuff that the hot tank left on. I skip it now and go straight to the good stuff :mrgreen:
        Yeh, the only thing I didn't do was wait for the parts to dry before the second application thinking the remaining was softened and needing that second application. Gonna get a stiffer brush for next time. Only had a standard parts cleaning brush. Oddly the carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and exhaust ports came off easier than the deposits in the cam galley. The carbon came off with the first application. Strange? The baked on stuff on the outside of the head near the exhaust ports was the only thing not completely removed by all the cleaning. That was three applications of DPD and a hot bath. That stuff just doesn't want to come off.
        Jack Byrd,
        1991 Capri
        1988 Festiva LX, 240K
        1970 Chev C10
        1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• After cleaning your HLA's I can believe it! Hardest ones to clean EVER! LOL

I think the carbon in the combustion chambers and runners softens a little over time as an engine sits. Maybe it soaks up moisture in the air. I know a head that's sat for a long time seems easier to clean than one fresh off a running car. As for the carbon near the exit of the exhaust port, that stuff is always BAKED on no matter how long the head has sat. I have a mini sandblaster for that.

Hit the Dollar Store or one of the bargain outlets for brushes. There's a place down here called Mighty Dollar that has a wall full of nothing but cleaning brushes for a buck each and that place is my new best friend LOL. It helps to have an arsenal of different brushes on this stuff.
          Last edited by Zanzer; 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM.

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

• I put a few seconds of acetylene torch on the spot. Aluminum/iron swells just enough to break it loose, that is, if it doesn't break down and fluff off from the heat.

Then I brush/blast.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

• did this, lol. I bought these like, 3 or 4 years ago, and thought they were one of the many causalities from hurricane irene. After going through stuff in our basement at the new place, i found these in a box, all covered with mud and flood gunk.
              Last edited by ckiesman; 08-19-2013, 03:36 PM.
              1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

• ^^ Looks great! I love the emblems offset like that :thumbup:
                Last edited by Zanzer; 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM.

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

• thanks, me as well.
                  1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

• I gave my Festy a rest today and drove my Ranger. I have been driving the piss out my Festy lately.
                    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

• I tightened the belt some today, since it has been squeeking on some start ups and rainy weather. So far so good!
                      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

• Whooopeee...........:blob3: My HLA shims came today, also my turbo muffler and high flow cat. Header should be here any time. I can start going back together with my B6 next week.
                        Jack Byrd,
                        1991 Capri
                        1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                        1970 Chev C10
                        1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• Got a crankshaft that matches the 'mystery engine' I'll be using in the Festiva instead of the Utility engine I planned on using, so I started taking the measurements for it to fit the Festiva flywheel.

Info in the build thread.

Comment

• Got one of the two power window motors mounted and wired, but in the process must have knocked the wiring for the power lock loose on the drivers door because it no longer functions.

Going to have to glue the gears since the outer gear adapter keeps slipping off the inner gear adapter.
                            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 08-21-2013, 12:03 AM.
                            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• Washed and waxed my car and its stablemate.

Oh, and finally installed the spoiler I've been sitting on for about a year.

It's been so long since I've washed and waxed my car that it soaked up the wax and still needs more. I'll try to wax again in the morning.
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• I'll take both. Thanks!
                                -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                                Random Festiva Parts
                                Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Working...
                                X