No announcement yet.

Dickmeyer Automotive's Mazda B3 Performance Valve Train Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notching the edges of the cylinder bore is somewhat common, although usually in a small, specific location for valve clearance reasons when larger valves are installed. I always figured if the valves are so big that they require notching the block to fit them in, then it defeats the purpose, but thats just my speculation. I don't know how much advantage it would be in terms enhancing head flow, at least in this case where a B3 head is installed on a B3 block. Thats a good one for Matt to answer. However, increasing the bore diameter makes a big difference, as well as allowing the chamber edges to be opened up to the larger bore. I believe some guys used to offset bore their blocks to specifically for such reasons.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

just wanted to chime in here, i havent really done any posting on this forum but have been researhing alot... i was ready to build my b3 cuz i always like to use what i have and make it way better, i contacted matt and spent a good hour or more on the phone with him and he is an amazing guy and willing to take time out of his day to talk and help. he is currently in the middle of my build right now if you guys would like to see his work on my head go on his facebook page and find the album jeremy rizzutos b3 build. it is a 95 aspire head so i have the roller rockers and hydraulic lifters. he has been awesome to work with and i cant wait to see how my build turns out. i am also doing .40 over on the bottom end so i have a brand new engine. matt really does like the festiva and wants to build stuff for all of us, but custom work does cost money and guys cant be "SHOCKED" when they here prices....its all custom so of course the price is higher then lets say a swap... but im gonna have a brand new high performance motor that when people ask i can say yeah its just a b3... then burn rubber..lol my only point here is that matt is extremely knowledgeable, and wants to help us but the last thread i read with him he was being told consistently "it cant be done" but yet he is doing it. i am extremely happy with everything he has done for me (i didnt even realize i was gonna get all the pics of the progress on my build..lol)

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        ok guys understand this: from here on out, we focus on B3 performance ONLY.

that being said, any mods any other suggestions OTHER than a head swap from a B6 variant to a B3 bottom end are considered taboo.

Matt: i totaly see what you're saying about the bore the the ability for further valve unshrouding but .120" over bore is just nuts unless you plan on re-sleaving the block?, there just isn't enough material to safely bore to that size (you'd be going to 74.4mm but you know that already). anywho, given that the piston speed of a B3 at full song is well below the max the it can handle, a stroker kit along with the overbore would net greater gains, AND a stroker kit could also be used on the B6 bottom as well (which is what i was getting at earlier).

thoughts?
        At no time did I ever say anything about over boring .120. The measurement that I did come up with is a finished bore size of 2.875, which is .080. When developing products, such as pistons, there are several considerations to remember. It's not as simple as making a biggest piston that will fit. First & foremost, a bore size that will still retain sufficient cylinder wall rigidity. Secondly, a bore that will have a positive effect on combustion chamber configuration. Thirdly, and sometimes most importantly, is a bore size in which a quality high performance ring size is available in. On this engine, .060 & .080 accomplishes these things well. And in my opinion, a stroker kit would be worthless because of the cost. Most of you want a product that is easy to install & offers significant power gains. This is why I started with a cylinder head & valve train kit & header kit, as this addresses the B3's main deficiency. Simple bolt ons such as CAI's & high flow exhaust systems only work if the vehicle manufacturer left something on the table ( in terms of engine performance ). In the case of the B3 Festiva, this just isn't so. They just don't make a difference by themselves. That is why I think starting with the top end really starts to crack this engine open. I am considering a high performance intake manifold that would work with EFI or carb ( to make production more cost effective ).
        PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
          Notching the edges of the cylinder bore is somewhat common, although usually in a small, specific location for valve clearance reasons when larger valves are installed. I always figured if the valves are so big that they require notching the block to fit them in, then it defeats the purpose, but thats just my speculation. I don't know how much advantage it would be in terms enhancing head flow, at least in this case where a B3 head is installed on a B3 block. Thats a good one for Matt to answer. However, increasing the bore diameter makes a big difference, as well as allowing the chamber edges to be opened up to the larger bore. I believe some guys used to offset bore their blocks to specifically for such reasons.
          Notching the cylinders for intake valve clearance is what I commonly do on BBC's when clearance for a 2.30 inch or larger is necessary ( depending on bore size ). This is also done on Ford Windsor's & Cleveland ( or any other canted valve application ) when installing Yates C30-C35 Brodix BF200 or Eldelbrock Victor/Glidden cylinder heads, which commonly 2.25 inch intake valves. Because of large valve size & valve cant the valve will often clip the edge of the cylinder at the deck. Of course, usually a block, such as Dart or World, is used in these applications & is already clearanced. Especially when combined with a 4.125 or larger bore. Doing this clearance would be useless on the Festiva as the B3 has no valve cant, & the valve size required to interfere with the bore would be so large that it would be 1.) Not fit in the valve seat & 2.) Actually shroud air flow in such a compact combustion chamber. One thing engine builders ever consider is optimal "valve to bore ratio". For best results, I stay within 2.0-1.8 for most performance or race applications.

Comment

Originally posted by roadkyll View Post
            how much modification would i need to do to my head to use this kit? are you planning on building a carbed intake that would flow better?
            Installation of my performance train valve kit is nothing major. It does require machine work to the cylinder head that should be able to be done at any experienced machine shop, but, due to the change in several components specifications, it would probably be best to send it to me, since I designed the kit & know exactly what needs to be done to be set up properly. And yes, I am contemplating a high flow intake that would work for carb or EFI applications.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
              Are you going to get into boring/porting the throttlebody and intake to match?

I think we should start a comparison thread for those looking at this vs a BP swap.
              Enlarging the throttle body is unnecessary as the B3 I use for testing is at 130 HP & wide open throttle has zero inches of vacuum present in the intake manifold indication TB is not a restriction. The TB flows around 280 CFM at 1.5 depression so it won't be a restriction at 150 HP or more.

Comment

Welcome back Matt. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. My B3 build will be mainly for MPGs and I was only wanting around 70hp, but I guess I could deal with 80 to 85hp if I can still improve my MPGs. The intake design sounds nice.

BTW, I bought one of your header kits from another guy here. I'll be using that with the B3 build.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hey Matt, was there ever a thought on making mounts for b6T/ BPT swaps? with the g5mr trans?

you can have my visa number, id personally buy a set.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                    Hey Matt, was there ever a thought on making mounts for b6T/ BPT swaps? with the g5mr trans?

you can have my visa number, id personally buy a set.

I could if I had a mocked up mount to duplicate, I don't have an engine or trans for measuring & fitment.

Comment

Would .040 pistons on the bottom be a performance improvement with
                      you doing all things necessary to our heads, or should we stick to normal
                      next biggest size to clean up the bore?
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
                        Notching the cylinders for intake valve clearance is what I commonly do on BBC's when clearance for a 2.30 inch or larger is necessary ( depending on bore size ). This is also done on Ford Windsor's & Cleveland ( or any other canted valve application ) when installing Yates C30-C35 Brodix BF200 or Eldelbrock Victor/Glidden cylinder heads, which commonly 2.25 inch intake valves. Because of large valve size & valve cant the valve will often clip the edge of the cylinder at the deck. Of course, usually a block, such as Dart or World, is used in these applications & is already clearanced. Especially when combined with a 4.125 or larger bore. Doing this clearance would be useless on the Festiva as the B3 has no valve cant, & the valve size required to interfere with the bore would be so large that it would be 1.) Not fit in the valve seat & 2.) Actually shroud air flow in such a compact combustion chamber. One thing engine builders ever consider is optimal "valve to bore ratio". For best results, I stay within 2.0-1.8 for most performance or race applications.
                        Thanks, good stuff! I never thought about the canted valve applications. Some here have toyed with installing a B6 head on the B3 for the larger ports and valves. The valves end up touching the cylinder walls, requiring clearancing, and the combustion chambers actually extend beyond the bore diameter. Between these issues and the loss in compression due to the bigger CC chambers, consensus is such a swap is pointless.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          Welcome back Matt. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. My B3 build will be mainly for MPGs and I was only wanting around 70hp, but I guess I could deal with 80 to 85hp if I can still improve my MPGs. The intake design sounds nice.

BTW, I bought one of your header kits from another guy here. I'll be using that with the B3 build.

Karl
                          If you would have any questions with what it would take to get to that power, I have done it & I know exactly what it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
                            I could if I had a mocked up mount to duplicate, I don't have an engine or trans for measuring & fitment.
                            well if you ever find a way to make a set, my paypal is waiting.

Im sure me and a bunch of other people on here would rather pay someone with the proper fabricating skills to do it once, properly.

Maybe another member interested in your area could supply you? hmn.

Comment

This is Insane... And quite an interesting read. Please let us know when a rebuild kit is available... Pistons, rods, valves and springs, head, intake and exhaust headers... or even if you actually will build a complete motor with the specs your talking about custom..... Watch yourself guys.. I can't help but drool over this.

I was just curious to know if you had plans for mixing supercharger and turbo combinations into the equation?

Makes me feel like im going to drown in my own spittle.
                              Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                              Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                              Highway - 7.32L/100km
                              City - yet to be determined.

Comment

This is Insane... And quite an interesting read. Please let us know when a rebuild kit is available... Pistons, rods, valves and springs, head, intake and exhaust headers... or even if you actually will build a complete motor with the specs your talking about custom..... Watch yourself guys.. I can't help but drool over this.

I was just curious to know if you had plans for mixing supercharger and turbo combinations into the equation?

Makes me feel like im going to drown in my own spittle.
                                Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                                Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                                Highway - 7.32L/100km
                                City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Working...
                                X