No announcement yet.

Festiva progression thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally started painting today....The $50 paintjob is pretty tough work! Only have a few coats done so now I have some wetsanding to do, but here's a teaser pic for anyone interested...
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Don't know if it's because they are still wet, or what, but those have a fair amount of shine to 'em now. Liking the color, and really liking those wheels. Keep up the good work!!!

I'm curious how the $50 paint job goes for you. Don't think I'm going to get to mine before Madness, but I will be doing it at some point. I'll be interested in your thoughts on this when it's all done.
      Last edited by batstiva; 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Oh my... this car may look much sexier than I had anticipated.
        -Caleb
        Originally posted by cracked.com on the M203 w/ M433 HEDP
        So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
          Don't know if it's because they are still wet, or what, but those have a fair amount of shine to 'em now. Liking the color, and really liking those wheels. Keep up the good work!!!

I'm curious how the $50 paint job goes for you. Don't think I'm going to get to mine before Madness, but I will be doing it at some point. I'll be interested in your thoughts on this when it's all done.
          I was thinking the same thing about this paint myself bat....the paint is actually dry in those pics and it's super shiny! After the first coat dried for about an hour I went out and ran my hand across it, and it was like glass. I almost don't even want to wetsand it, but there is a slight bit of orange peel (and dead gnats!) and I want it to at least look somewhat decent. So far it's looking like a promising paintjob though. The only bad thing about it is the fact that I'm really impatient and it takes so many coats before the color starts really showing. The bumpers are showing the green pretty good after two coats because they were primed, but the rest of the car just has a weird blue/green hue after the first 2 coats.
          Last edited by lanemeyer14; 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM.
          "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Originally posted by pr0nst4r View Post
            Oh my... this car may look much sexier than I had anticipated.
            Thanks! I really hope it turns out how I want it

Comment

loving the green cant wait for more pics

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Please take lots and lots of pictures if you can remember while painting it. I've been thinking of roller painting for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
                  loving the green cant wait for more pics
                  Yeah, I was almost gonna do it white, but changed my mind when I found the festival green rustoleum that someone was selling one ebay. The newest can is dated 1997!

Originally posted by spiko View Post
                  Please take lots and lots of pictures if you can remember while painting it. I've been thinking of roller painting for some time.
                  Well I've already done the first couple coats, and those were the ones that had me worried. After the first coat it looked like crap and like I hadn't put any paint on at all. As I was painting I was thinking "Man, this is a mistake", but it looks like it's gonna turn out alright now. I mixed the paint pretty much 50/50 and it went on without any problems the first coat, but when I started the second coat with a different mixture I was getting a LOT of bubbles. I just kept rolling lightly until they all came out. I'll try to take more pics of the process for you

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
                    I was thinking the same thing about this paint myself bat....the paint is actually dry in those pics and it's super shiny! After the first coat dried for about an hour I went out and ran my hand across it, and it was like glass. I almost don't even want to wetsand it, but there is a slight bit of orange peel (and dead gnats!) and I want it to at least look somewhat decent. So far it's looking like a promising paintjob though. The only bad thing about it is the fact that I'm really impatient and it takes so many coats before the color starts really showing. The bumpers are showing the green pretty good after two coats because they were primed, but the rest of the car just has a weird blue/green hue after the first 2 coats.
                    Cool, that's dry? That looks really good. I hear you on the gnats. Not sure why bugs are so damn attracted to wet paint. The only advantage I think I'll have over you as far as coverage goes, is that I'm not changing my color. Black over black. Keep us posted on your progress. And good work so far. :thumbright:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                      Cool, that's dry? That looks really good. I hear you on the gnats. Not sure why bugs are so damn attracted to wet paint. The only advantage I think I'll have over you as far as coverage goes, is that I'm not changing my color. Black over black. Keep us posted on your progress. And good work so far. :thumbright:
                      Yeah, I imagine staying the same color would be much easier. I would have stayed with blue if I could have found one closer to the factory surf blue. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Comment

Keep up the wonderful work! It's looking amazing!
                        -Josh R

Comment

A few more pics of today's progress. You can see the coverage isn't all that good....3 light coats on the bumper/body, 2 coats on the door

Comment

Its looking like its coming together, probably ~6 coats looks like will cover it. I can't wait to see pics of it all finished.

That front bumper looks really good now that it matches the car!

I want to do the rustoleum paint, but I think I am going to try to shoot it out of a HVLP gun. I found a great article on using and setting up the $60 harbor freight HVLP gun, http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...praygun-2.html

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
                              Its looking like its coming together, probably ~6 coats looks like will cover it. I can't wait to see pics of it all finished.

That front bumper looks really good now that it matches the car!

I want to do the rustoleum paint, but I think I am going to try to shoot it out of a HVLP gun. I found a great article on using and setting up the $60 harbor freight HVLP gun, http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...praygun-2.html
                              Nice! I would have loved to spray mine, but I don't have any of the equipment. Maybe next time!

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
                                I wish there were some front and rear bumpers that would just follow the lines of the body straight down, instead of jutting out so far..I think these cars look awesome without bumpers!
                                I agree. I keep envisioning that. We'll see how much ambition I have when I get to my project. I might just have Pyro do a PS of what I've got in mind though.

The car is looking great though. I can't wait to see it after the final coat. Nice work rollin!

Comment

Working...
                                X