• Show
Clear All

• My thoughts there too DK

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

• Yeah, for a second there I thought you were putting b6 me pistons in your kl and and I was like, "whaaaaaaat?" Haha.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Fresh in from ebay, turbo blanket, 100' of header wrap and steel zip ties

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          Fresh in from ebay, turbo blanket, 100' of header wrap and steel zip ties

Did you make sure to get the header wrap silicone spray?
          1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
          1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
          2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

• This is the first time I've ever bought header wrap, I didn't know a silicone spray is recommended with it, what does the spray actually do?

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• i believe it's there to prevent chaifing durring install?
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• I use ceramic high heat spray paint. Just makes working around the wrapped pipes more comfortable. The first thousand miles can be a bit itchy. Paint your tubing with the 1500 degree exhaust paint and bake it in the oven like the can suggests. Then get the wrap soaking wet to put it on. Drive the car to dry it after wrapping it, then paint over the wrap with thick coats of exhaust paint. Let the paint air dry. This keeps the fiberglass from shedding so bad. That exhaust wrap is a pain when you have to work around it. It helps a lot to paint it. If you don't paint the pipe under the wrap it will rust ten times faster than it would without the wrap. After a couple months of driving, the paint will wear off the fiberglass, but buy then the shedding won't be so bad. The paint should stay on the pipe under the wrap.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips Charlie, I'll definitely pick some up then

BTW this is why I love forums and posting my projects, there's ALWAYS little tips and tricks to learn
                  Last edited by Damkid; 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• wow, ok i wasn't as off as i thought i was. (guess that means i'm not quite as dumb as i look! O_o )
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Last time I used header wrap, I just slathered a bunch of vaseline on the pipe under it. Pipe heats up, water evaporates, vaseline soaks the header wrap, doesn't shed much at all. petro jelly keeps moisture away from pipe so it doesn't rust, and header wrap keeps it's awesome ratty look.

Comment

• ^And hopefully doesn't start a sweet engine fire
                        Owner of:
                        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                        In progress:
                        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                          ^And hopefully doesn't start a sweet engine fire
                          Disclaimer - Only ever done it on bikes and non-turbo headers in cars. Starting an engine fire is highly unlikely, though. Imagine how many times you've burned grease and oil onto a header (not you, maybe, but people in general) the flash point of most petroleum greases and oils is much higher than those parts ever get.

Comment

• Fair enough, I just try to keep napalm (sorta) soaked rags from being wrapped around a non shielded turbo pipe
                            Owner of:
                            In progress:

Comment

• Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                              Fair enough, I just try to keep napalm (sorta) soaked rags from being wrapped around a non shielded turbo pipe
                              I wouldn't do it on a turbo pipe, methinks. downpipe on, sure (I've wrapped complete exhausts before), but not on the hot side.

Then again, I've made mufflers from PVC before because I know it works, and everyone else "knows" it doesn't. Not suggesting that anyone else is dumb or anything, but I've done a good many of the things I've done against the "knowledge" of others, because as I'm sure we all know, people tend to talk more than they listen.

Comment

• ^Yup, I'm 16 and stoooopid, literally, but I'm eager to learn. Shop teacher thought I knew what I was doing when I put new rear shoes on the festy. He found out at the end that I was doing it by reading the Haynes manual, He also wanted to just let the fluid out of the lines to get the shoes back on, He was unaware of how auto adjusters work, I had to jump on this AWESOME forum to get it done.
                                Owner of:
                                In progress:

Comment

Working...
                                X