Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3NTAL
    replied
    Machined the rear drum so that it fits my aspire pattern Miata Daisys

Leave a comment:

• sc72
    replied
    Well not exactly what I have done but more like what I have to do, A week ago i hit a chuck hole and the front end started making a clunking noise when you hit the gas or let off quickly, no biggie just a little rust, but i guess that's the price you pay for living in the rust belt, I figure some angle iron and a welder should do the trick. Any questions, comments or concerns, Hey maybe Charlie Advancedynamics can hook me up with a nice southern car.

Last edited by sc72; 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    That is one tool I wish I had. A three foot long torque wrench to establish an accurate bearing preload. I always take mine in for that reason. That torque wrench is only used for that purpose only.
    I think the 2footer I have from autozone works Just fine.

-James

Leave a comment:

• bravekozak
    replied
    That is one tool I wish I had. A three foot long torque wrench to establish an accurate bearing preload and load. I always take mine in for that reason. That torque wrench is only used for that purpose only. I want to drive on them for a very long time with no squeaks or premature failure.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by sketchman View Post
    Fair enough.

If it works, that's awesome.
    I meant No hard feelings either. But if we all knew what we were talking about there'd be No need for a forum.

-James

Leave a comment:

• sketchman
    replied
    Fair enough.

If it works, that's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    ^Was intended to be a synopsis of what it seemed you were saying. Mazda/Kia/Ford says this is a specific part to create a specific bearing preload and will differ minutely because of "tolerance stack-up?", etc. What are you saying?
    I'm saying the spacer is hub specific. Like I've been told countless times on here. And those hubs, from the 13 in Marion alone that I've pulled and rebuilt for people, among mine have all had the EXACT same spacers. They've all had the exact same preload amount stamped on them. They've been festys from 88-92 (including my originals and the ones I've ran from another festy)
    Most guys come to me because I do the bearings much cheaper than a local mechanic and do them properly.
    I'm No expert on preload and wheel bearing load and all that, But I call em like I see em.

-James

Leave a comment:

• sketchman
    replied
    ^Was intended to be a synopsis of what it seemed you were saying. Mazda/Kia/Ford says this is a specific part to create a specific bearing preload and will differ minutely because of "tolerance stack-up?", etc. What are you saying?
    Last edited by sketchman; 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    There's this guy at work who thinks that carrying buckeyes in his pocket keeps him from getting hemorrhoids. He doesn't have any and so concludes it works. Is he right too?

It may be difficult for you to believe, but all you've done is gone out and measured the flatness of 10ft of ground and concluded that the world is flat. But whatever works for you.

No hatin' intended there.
    Not necessarily. I'm going on experience of dealing with these hubs, what the spacers say, and the fact that I've pulled from Several different years of festivas and they've all been the same.
    Not saying that makes them all through same by any means.

And Thanks for misquoting me.

-James

Leave a comment:

• sketchman
    replied
    Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
    I think I've proved Mazda wrong.
    There's this guy at work who thinks that carrying buckeyes in his pocket keeps him from getting hemorrhoids. He doesn't have any and so concludes it works. Is he right too?

It may be difficult for you to believe, but all you've done is gone out and measured the flatness of 10ft of ground and concluded that the world is flat. But whatever works for you.

No hatin' intended there.

Leave a comment:

• Powerstiva
    replied
    Took it to get aligned!

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    Good to hear! Stay out of trouble!!

Leave a comment:

• 200KGPGTP
    replied
    Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
    Awesome!!! Where did you end up taking it?
    Midas here in St. Joseph. They did a GREAT job, too! I am VERY pleased.

Speaking of pleased, JESUS this thing is a MONSTER with a B6! I am seriously going to get in trouble with this thing. It's ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Powerstiva
    replied
    Finished up my VW MK2 front suspension and aspire front brake swap today, it's pretty stiff up front gonna get some differnt springs. It sits really low right now too!

Then when I went to start it to dive it around I found out that my battery wires were all messed up and stuff so I had to get some new terminals and fix that up.

Tomorrow I'm going to get it aligned.

Leave a comment:

• Potta
    replied
    Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
    Started work on rebuilding the junkyard hubs I got yesterday for 2$
    Cleaning.

Got all the bearings out and since mine are under warranty (and I didn't drive the festiva to autozone) I got 4 new timkens and 2 new rotors for freeeeee. Yep, suck it autozone.

Decided to de-rust the hubs and noticed they both have the proper spacer and (for all you who doubted me are stamped the same as the ones I've been running off another festiva. So now you can suck it.) Guess I "Just got lucky" again.

Then decided to throw some caliper paint on the knuckles and hubs.

Eat your hearts out.
    -James
    They came up awesome. Love the color too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X