Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    It doesnt provide positive pressure, behind the throttle plate in the manifold is high vaccum, between throttle plate and air filter in the tubing is little to no vaccum. The higher vaccum sucks air through that hose from the little to no vaccum that the intake tubing sees.
    But whatever, does the car run nicer now?

Definitely seems to be running better. Lower idle speed, closer to what it should be, but that may be from the increased vacuum on the IAC hose making it collapse. Will have to get a hose that won't collapse.

But yes, I know how the intake works for the most part. While you are right that the vacuum is lower before the throttle plate, but it is still negative pressure, and some of the air will get sucked through that crank case vent.

I still don't know what that stupid little black canister that was on the intake does, considered it's hooked up to vacuum through both ports. Removed it and hasn't made any different in driveability.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
    Yeah, there is no way that hose I deleted was providing any positive pressure to the crankcase.
    Anything hooked up to the intake directly is going to pull a vacuum.
    It doesnt provide positive pressure, behind the throttle plate in the manifold is high vaccum, between throttle plate and air filter in the tubing is little to no vaccum. The higher vaccum sucks air through that hose from the little to no vaccum that the intake tubing sees.
    But whatever, does the car run nicer now?

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Oh? The way i understood it is that all the air is measured as it goes past the vaf, some goes into the crankcase through the tube you took off as it is sucked out of the crankcase by the pcv hose. So thats all measured. When you remove that hose and add a breather but keep the pcv then the pcv hose sucks unmetered air into the manifold through that breather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, there is no way that hose I deleted was providing any positive pressure to the crankcase.
    Anything hooked up to the intake directly is going to pull a vacuum.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 11-01-2016, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Oh? The way i understood it is that all the air is measured as it goes past the vaf, some goes into the crankcase through the tube you took off as it is sucked out of the crankcase by the pcv hose. So thats all measured. When you remove that hose and add a breather but keep the pcv then the pcv hose sucks unmetered air into the manifold through that breather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Im curious as to how the car will run getting unmetered air. I debated doing the breather filter myself but didnt. I was a bit worried also about oil blowing out of it since i have a fair bit of blowby. How does it run like that?
    I questioned it myself, As many people have stated the ECU accounts for the unmetered air coming in from the crankcase. But I didn't like the thought of the ECU guessing at the amount of air, and the fact that why would you need two crankcase vents into the intake? I mean, you have one already with the PCV, but at least the PCV vent isn't just letting unmetered air into the intake constantly.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 11-01-2016, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
    Deleted the hose going from the valve cover to the intake (not PCV)
    Put on a breather filter to vent the crankcase to atmosphere.

Adjusted various things on the intake, just moving things around, getting them better situated.

Finally removed the huge amount of slack by adjusting the throttle cable. (Never adjusted it after dropping the BP in.)

Idles much nicer now, and of course a much much better feeling gas pedal that doesn't have any slack.
    Im curious as to how the car will run getting unmetered air. I debated doing the breather filter myself but didnt. I was a bit worried also about oil blowing out of it since i have a fair bit of blowby. How does it run like that?

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Deleted the hose going from the valve cover to the intake (not PCV)
    Put on a breather filter to vent the crankcase to atmosphere.

Adjusted various things on the intake, just moving things around, getting them better situated.

Finally removed the huge amount of slack by adjusting the throttle cable. (Never adjusted it after dropping the BP in.)

Idles much nicer now, and of course a much much better feeling gas pedal that doesn't have any slack.

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
    Yeah, as far as the tilt, non-tilt, I think it's more the 80s steering column in general and its distinct cover configuration. My 89 L w/o tilt is the same bezel, I think. Do you think the small amount of tilt is worth the hassle of the swap? I had thought about doing it with a tilter from my 89 LX parts car, but after seeing how little it moved I reconsidered.
    Nah not really worth the hassle IMHO. It's neat to say you have though.
    I only installed it in my car because I had one, and I was bored. lol

And even when I had the non-tilt column still on my car, but with the surround pieces off the column, the tilt-column speedo bezel still didn't fit. It's just the non-tilt column sits higher than the the highest adjustment position with the tilt column.

But yeah, it was in fact the 80s headlight switch that my car didn't like, as soon as I swapped my 90s one back in all the lights worked again. Found the 90s headlight switch is in the stalk itself, while the 80s switch isn't, the 80s stalk just has a shaft running down the middle of the stalk that moves a switch located in the headlight circuit on the combo switch assembly.

Leave a comment:

• jawja jim
    replied
    Yeah, as far as the tilt, non-tilt, I think it's more the 80s steering column in general and its distinct cover configuration. My 89 L w/o tilt is the same bezel, I think. Do you think the small amount of tilt is worth the hassle of the swap? I had thought about doing it with a tilter from my 89 LX parts car, but after seeing how little it moved I reconsidered.

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
    TorqueEffect, you are correct in that the 80s headlight switch is NOT plug and play with a 90s model. I'm not sure the "tilt" cluster bezel is different form non tilt , but it doesn't work for 90s models.
    The cluster bezel will fit in the dash, but only after you swapped the steering columns. I'll take a couple pictures, but they are definitely different, the switch holes sit much lower and so that part of the bezel is more elongated than on the 80s tilt column bezel.

I'll be pulling the steering wheel in a hour or so and swapping out the headlight switch. (Also need to straighten the steering wheel.) Shame though, I like the more hefty feel of the 80s headlight switch, definitely could tell they ran the power straight through the switch on these and not through a relay.

Leave a comment:

• jawja jim
    replied
    TorqueEffect, you are correct in that the 80s headlight switch is NOT plug and play with a 90s model. I'm not sure the "tilt" cluster bezel is different form non tilt , but it doesn't work for 90s models.

Leave a comment:

• bravekozak
    replied
    The TAIL fuse gets it's power from the headlamp switch.
    (Red/black stripe wire)
    All the dash lights go through the dimmer switch.
    The dimmer switch gets power from the TAIL fuse.

Are you sure you plugged the connectors on the steering column back together tight?
    Does TAIL get power when you turn on the parking lights?
    If so, replace the fuse marked TAIL and report back.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 10-25-2016, 05:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Got the tilt steering column installed from my part's car.

Gotta love fighting with those stupid u-joints flopping around when you are trying to finangle the steering column into place. Probably would have been much easier with an extra pair of hands. lol

Now either the 80s headlight switches don't work with the 90s models, or one of the plugs didn't get plugged in all the way, as I have headlights, but none of the corner lights, or dash lights come on. Not a fuse as it was working before installing the steering column, plus I doubled checked the fuses.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Last night i got one of my racing seats in. Lucifer is making progress all the time.

Tonight i hope to do some exhaust work.

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Did a compression test the other day, all cylinders in the 150-165 range. So not a head gasket issue.

Removed, cleaned, and painted the valve cover.

Removed the little platform the stock air filter box sits on.

Found out that the speedo surrounds are different between tilt, and non-tilt steering columns.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X