No announcement yet.

My KLZE Festiva Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^I'm not sure about that seam on the firewall, i don't think the KL-ZE has that vacuum piece on the intake to get in the way (I hope) so until i get the KL-ZE home and in my festiva, i'm not going to worry about that part yet

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• God this is gonna be boss when it's done! perhaps, the ultimate sleeper??

Ok, well now you've gotten ------g silly. ~ MONSOON

Comment

• Originally posted by Damkid View Post
        ...although i have been considering manufacturing a mount kit for the g25 tranny
        Don't consider it, do it!
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Damkid
          ...although i have been considering manufacturing a mount kit for the g25 tranny

Originally posted by FestivaFan View Post
          Don't consider it, do it!
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll 2nd that!
          '93 Festiva L 5spd.:
          Aspire swap: brakes, swaybar, master cyl.

Aloha! ....renny

Comment

^^I'm not sure about that seam on the firewall, i don't think the KL-ZE has that vacuum piece on the intake to get in the way (I hope) so until i get the KL-ZE home and in my festiva, i'm not going to worry about that part yet
            "That vacuum piece" is for your VRIS. The KLZE has VRIS it just opens at different RPMs and that is what provides you the extra power in the different rpm range. It also what gives people headaches when they swap the KLZE and don't have the right ECU. I think you are right about it being in a different spot on the KLZE intake, but there are two of them on each intake, so one might move but the other might end up in the way. In my mx-3 with the KLDE they are right up near the firewall, It was a bear hooking up the connector because I had to do it from below the car, but had to reach to almost the top of the engine with virtually no space between the engine and the firewall.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

• I wouldn't worry too much about the vris stuff if you plan to boost. I would remove it and tie the butterflies open. My dd probe and my turbo probe are this way. Plus in your situation it will free up room and you won't really notice a difference in power especially in a festiva

Comment

• Cool. I was looking at the clearance pics. Do you think you will need a FMS hood to actually clear the engine since it has the raised center part? That would be sweet. Funtional hood bulge, not just for show.
                '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

• He allready have a FMS fiberglass hood and he just bought a carbon fiber one from festivaWES
                  Last edited by Maxtiva; 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

• Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                    "That vacuum piece" is for your VRIS. The KLZE has VRIS it just opens at different RPMs and that is what provides you the extra power in the different rpm range. It also what gives people headaches when they swap the KLZE and don't have the right ECU. I think you are right about it being in a different spot on the KLZE intake, but there are two of them on each intake, so one might move but the other might end up in the way. In my mx-3 with the KLDE they are right up near the firewall, It was a bear hooking up the connector because I had to do it from below the car, but had to reach to almost the top of the engine with virtually no space between the engine and the firewall.
                    This is good info for me to know before i buy an ECU, which ECU woud be best for the stock KL-ZE set-up?

Originally posted by nixapgt View Post
                    I wouldn't worry too much about the vris stuff if you plan to boost. I would remove it and tie the butterflies open. My dd probe and my turbo probe are this way. Plus in your situation it will free up room and you won't really notice a difference in power especially in a festiva
                    This is a good idea and i may do this even before i boost it just to free up space at the firewall :lol:

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                    Cool. I was looking at the clearance pics. Do you think you will need a FMS hood to actually clear the engine since it has the raised center part? That would be sweet. Funtional hood bulge, not just for show.
                    It actually looks like it would clear a stock hood which is cool!!

I made up two brackets today to re-attach the rad support, if i get to it today i post pics

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• You should totally get a Lexan hood made... This engine needs to be seen by everyone!

Comment

This is good info for me to know before i buy an ECU, which ECU woud be best for the stock KL-ZE set-up?
                        It depends on which intake manifold you use. The curved neck manifolds have different VRIS points than the straight neck manifolds. The rest of the information I have stolen from mx-3.com

Originally posted by mx-3.com
                        kl31/36 - straightneck VRIS
                        k8 - k8 intake VRIS
                        k8 with millenia probinator chip - curved/millenia intake VRIS
                        kl01 - klde intake manifold VRIS

Curved neck Vris is;
                        ON OFF
                        Vris 1 3750 6200
                        Vris 2 4250 6200

Straight Neck Vris is;
                        ON OFF
                        Vris 1 3800 6600
                        Vris 2 4800 6600

To get the proper vris points, you would need to do 4 dyno runs.

One with both VRIS closed
                        One with both VRIS open
                        One with VRIS 1 open
                        One with VRIS 2 open.

You need to manually keep them closed/open.. and also disconnect and plug the vac lines running to the actuators.

Overlay the torque curves so that you can see where they intersect, and those will be the optimal vris points.
                        It would be beneficial to do the dyno runs if you modify the engine and would like as much torque as possible out of the motor throughout the whole rpm range. Open VRIS is good if you plan to stay in the High rpm range all the time. If you plan on using the rest of the rpm range I would suggest keeping VRIS and getting the opening and closing points set properly.
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

• ^^Thanks for the info! i'll have to do some playing around with it, i'll try to get them working properly at first then worst case senario i'll tie them open :lol:

Comment

• IF this isn't already, it should be stickied! Great thread, and a festiva pioneer in my book. Can we buy advance tickets for rides?

Comment

• ^^Thank you Logan! I'm sure at the next meet i make it too, there will be rides :lol:

Comment

• Hey kid, I havent been around a lot and just noticed this thread. Man if you pull this one off it would be awesome ~!~ Cant wait to see it happen.
                                sigpic
                                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                                X