X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wwwdotgov
    replied
    Originally posted by fudge View Post
    So I feel really dumb but im putting this together and I'm trying to figure out how to install the bump stops. It doesnt seem like they easily fit into the spring or easily go over the little nut at the top of the shock absorber easily. Do I just force the bump stop that came with the shock over that little nut thing and then the vw bump stop? also does the vw bump stop go bigger side up or down? sorry for the obvious questions lol.
    Originally posted by TWFodor View Post
    I cut off the largest bulb on the end of the bump stops. Helped it fit in the spring. I forced mine on the shaft but I imagine you could drill out the center of the bump stop a bit if you wanted to.
    That's what I did too. I cut the largest lobe off of the vw bumpstop with a hacksaw. Then I pressed real hard and it will slip past that little nub. Then I added the new kyb black one on top of that. The top of the black bumpstop stopped flush at the top the nub, so it didn't have to slip past it like the white vw one did.
    It's also mentioned on page 14 post#132 of this thread.

Last edited by wwwdotgov; 03-04-2017, 12:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bravekozak
    replied
    I ground mine down with a bench grinder. I inserted a drill bit and applied just enough pressure to allow it to spin a little for a perfectly circular grind. It fits in the recess of the threads as well as within the spring. I will take a pic, since it's hard to explain.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-03-2017, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TWFodor
    replied
    Originally posted by fudge View Post
    So I feel really dumb but im putting this together and I'm trying to figure out how to install the bump stops. It doesnt seem like they easily fit into the spring or easily go over the little nut at the top of the shock absorber easily. Do I just force the bump stop that came with the shock over that little nut thing and then the vw bump stop? also does the vw bump stop go bigger side up or down? sorry for the obvious questions lol.
    I cut off the largest bulb on the end of the bump stops. Helped it fit in the spring. I forced mine on the shaft but I imagine you could drill out the center of the bump stop a bit if you wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    Last edited by fudge; 03-03-2017, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Vw
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
    Have you tried running the shock tube all the way through the lower mount and putting the lock nut on the bottom?
    Thank you Dragonhealer! That's all it took to get the ride height I wanted. Saved me $100.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
    I chose 150lb with the stock engine and tranny in preparation for the the eventual swap. I thought preload was just set by having the suspension fully unloaded and then just tightening it to keep the spring set compressed. If anyone better information I would appreciate it
    Have you tried running the shock tube all the way through the lower mount and putting the lock nut on the bottom?

Leave a comment:

• FestYboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    The Capri knuckles do this without the blocks.
    But you run aspire knuckles...

Leave a comment:

• Grey Vw
    replied
    Originally posted by william View Post
    What sprig rates are you running?
    I have 150 # 12 inch and with my springs preloaded to 10 inch my 165/55/14's only have an inch gap .
    I am running a b6d with g series moved forward but
    120 springs with stock engine and trans should let you go really low.
    I chose 150lb with the stock engine and tranny in preparation for the the eventual swap. I thought preload was just set by having the suspension fully unloaded and then just tightening it to keep the spring set compressed. If anyone better information I would appreciate it

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    Any further thoughts or progress on the ball joint lowering blocks?
    The Capri knuckles do this without the blocks.

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
    I am very appreciative and thankful for this thread, but I am a bit upset. I assumed this was parts list was copy and paste from what Charlie does.

This front spring is 12" while in Charlie's thread it is 10". I now cannot achieve the ride height I wanted. With the collar all the way down and the shock length adjustment I cannot go lower than 3" fender to tire gap. Partially my fault for not doing thorough research. Please note this in your original post.

What sprig rates are you running?
    I have 150 # 12 inch and with my springs preloaded to 10 inch my 165/55/14's only have an inch gap .
    I am running a b6d with g series moved forward but
    120 springs with stock engine and trans should let you go really low.
    Last edited by william; 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FestYboy
    replied
    Any further thoughts or progress on the ball joint lowering blocks?

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    I'm now using 12" 120lb springs on the front of my setup as well. I think there is a write up that fell in between my original write up and Mike's write up that details the new setup. Sorry for the confusion. I've gotta take the time to clean all this info up into 1 basic article. I haven't done that because things are still being developed and new ideas are being implemented.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Vw
    replied
    I am very appreciative and thankful for this thread, but I am a bit upset. I assumed this was parts list was copy and paste from what Charlie does.

This front spring is 12" while in Charlie's thread it is 10". I now cannot achieve the ride height I wanted. With the collar all the way down and the shock length adjustment I cannot go lower than 3" fender to tire gap. Partially my fault for not doing thorough research. Please note this in your original post.

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    ^ what Arty said. They actually are desiged to lock when the load of the car is on them. That is why you don't need a retaining (Lock nut) with that style of sleeve.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-05-2017, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FestYboy
    replied
    Preload and hight adjustments should always be made with the suspension unloaded. Otherwise you run the chance of galling the acme threads. Plus, it's much more difficult when the springs are loaded.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X